Looking for opinions/critiques on my recipe

My recipe is finished (except for choline because I have some at home but I’m not sure the measurement on it)

If anyone would like to take a look and give me thoughts, that would be great. This recipe is designed with some specific things in mind like healing gut damage (glutamine) and reducing inflammation (the specific omega 6/3’s I’ve used). Thanks for any input!

You’re missing the full nutritional info on coconut oil, I think. It’s not listing the saturated fats from that.

What’s with the extreme amounts of Vitamin B in your multi? Your pee is going to be fluorescent :smile:

You’re going to want some sulfur in your mix. Most of the protein will be used by the body, leaving not much to use the sulfur out of.

Your chromium is very high (it’s that multi again!). I believe it has an UL of 250, which is exactly what’s in your recipe.

Apart from that it seems okay on my short glance!

Fixed the saturated fat. I missed it the first time, or they just added it.

Lol, my pee is always fluorescent when I take B supplements. Also, the adrenal supplement that I normally take. I’m not sure why they’re so high, except that maybe just because it’s the women’s formula? I don’t know. I know that I have intestinal permeability issues and stomach issues, so I have a hard time absorbing B12. I don’t know about the rest of them.

Ok, your recommendation for sulfur was different from what I found in the forum, which was that with adequate protein intake, you shouldn’t need to (or didn’t have to) add a sulfur supplement. Does anyone have any idea how much sulfur is being provided by protein? Specifically, whey protein?

I’m looking into chromium levels. Again, not sure why it’s so high. Partly, I’m kind of going on the idea that if it’s in a multi- a well known multi at that, that the levels they’re using aren’t going to do much damage. So far, the info that I’ve come across is that they’ve done studies with chromium using from 200-1000mcg, and the few cases of toxicity that (might have) occurred were well above 1g per day. It’s a really good multi, I want to keep it so I’ll just keep an eye out for strangeness unless I come across something that states that it’s a really bad idea.

Thanks!

Regarding the Sulfur: The usual idea is that you get it from protein in normal food, so they don’t even have a guideline for it. The problem is that we’re not eating normal food. Rob himself went without added sulfur first, but exhibited symptoms of a lack of sulfur after about a month. Adding it back made the symptoms go away. He’s currently using 2 g of sulfur daily, I think, in the form of MSM. You need about 6 grams of MSM for 2 grams of sulfur. See also his blog posts.

You can also get it from Potassium Sulfate, which is what @richardtkemp and I will be doing (although both our potassium sulfates haven’t arrived yet).

I think you’ll be fine on the chromium, I couldn’t find any upper level damage reports either.

Curious, why did you abandon the sweet potato flour idea?

Regarding sulfur, you’d need to get a hold of the breakdown of amino acids (probably google “now food whey isolate bcaa”) and then crunch some numbers, cystiene and methionine are the ones that contain sulfur, cys is 29% by weight and methi is 21% , heres what that looked like for my recipe…

93 grams of 4ever whey = 0.67 g sulfur from cystiene [at 29% sulfur]
and 0.45 gm from methionine [at 21%],
100 g of NOW pea protein adds another .1 gram of sulfur from cystiene and .04 from methionine
so I need .74gm which would be 2.17 grams of msm since 34% of msm is sulfur.

I don’t remember why I decided I needed that amount of sulfur but, thats my breakdown

b6 seems way high, I don’t trust it myself, kind of an ongoing debate in the nootropic community about megadoses of b6 being neurotoxic.

Also what are you using to get the oil to mix evenly with all of this?

I ran into a few problems when researching sweet potato flour. First of all, I couldn’t find nutrition data for it anywhere. Not anything detailed. Sweet potatoes contain a lot of vitamins and minerals and if I was going to be ingesting it in the quantities that would make it a main ingredient in my soylent, I wanted to have that information so that I could plan my micro’s accordingly. I emailed several companies that sold it, but only heard back from one of them and the only info they had was the simplified nutrition label (which mostly just gives the macro’s).

In addition, it looked like either way I went, I was going to have to do some kind of processing to it before I could use it. I came across information in several places that suggested that raw potatoes, be they sweet or white, could be difficult to digest for some people. I have very definite digestion issues, so one of my biggest concerns was ingredients that were easy to digest. (I’m still a little worried about the protein, but I won’t know till I try it)

While I was researching the sweet potato stuff, I came across @J_Jeffrey_Bragg mentioned buckwheat, which seemed like the safest alternative for me personally when it comes to grains, and I was able to find a buckwheat flour that has already been sprouted, so I’m going to try that.

Thanks for the info on protein/sulfur. I’m looking for info on the cystiene and methionine content now.

I’ll also look into the B6 issue.

As far as the oil, I’m not really sure just yet. I saw someone describe a method for incorporating it into the mix first, making sort of a dough with it, and then adding water - and that they didn’t have any separation…I think I’ll try that first before I try any emulsifiers. Barring that, I’m going to go with sunflower lecithin, as I’m trying to stay away from soy because of it’s estrogenic effects.

Thanks so much for your input!

Overall the recipe is quite good: reasonable macros, good balance of minerals and omega fatty acids.

I noticed that the multivitamin is giving you more than necessary. Reducing the dose to 2 pills/day will ease the amount of manganese and of some vitamins, specially A, B6, and niacin.

It will leave you short on calcium (increase the calcium citrate), iodine (use some iodated salt or a specific ionide supplement), and iron. Fixing that last one is more tricky, iron supplements are going to have too much, but using them sparingly enough should work, albeit not optimally.
Lastly, leaving it “as is” is acceptable for short/mid-term* too, as body’s iron stores are quite plentiful relative to the daily loss, and iron deficiency is not particularly dangerous. The deficit would be quite small, too.

Your omega 3 is mostly EPA/DHA, and albeit this is good by itself, the ALA has other uses besides as a precursor of EPA/DHA. So, maybe its better to add a bit more ALA.

Adding some magnesium in powder form (like magnesium citrate) is a good idea, to replace the one from the multivitamin and to account for the increased need of magnesium from a high vitamin D dose. Its gentler on the gut, too.

Choline is lacking.

Regarding sulfur, there is no official RDI as food have plentiful sulfur. From Rob’s experience protein alone dont have enough, and he was using whey protein too, a bit more that your recipe has. Its not completely clear if he is refering to 2g of methylsulfonylmethane or of sulfur in his post.

The worst part is that niacin is way over the upper limit, and apart from changing the multivitamin there is no solution. Finding a good one can be very frustrating and hard, I know firsthand. The good news is that niacin overdose is not too harmful nor irreversible. After all, most multis overdose it routinely.

* I can relate to your situation, in the way that soylent can be a great improvement even with a sub-optimal recipe. Then one can use that improved condition (in particular the mental performance) to further iterate and improve the recipe. In my opinion your recipe is good enough for this approach.

Found an interesting formula for B6 intake that for some might put it at a higher level than the RDI.
.016 mg per g of protein.
the rest of my post was irrelevant for now.

Just note that these figures are per kg, not absolutes. For an adult human of, lets say 80kg, the 50mg/kg means a crazy dose of 4.000mg/day, or 4g/day.

Uh, no they’re not? Reading the abstract, these are actually absolutes. You multiply your protein intake by 0.016, and that’s the lower bound for the amount of B6 women need in mg. This results in a much more normal amount of 1.36 mg for 85 grams of protein, perfectly in line with the RDA.

Edit: I’m assuming you’re talking about the B6. Perhaps you were replying to the deleted part of spryte’s post though.

Nice recipe. I know it’s missing from the link but I’m curious about the Coconut Oil. Is it a replacement of olive oil or does it offer something else?

Also - others have commented on it, but the Alive multivitamin seems to be giving a lot of everything. When I started making mine I used Alive too but grew uneasy with getting so much of all the nutrients (especially since I wanted a recipe that allowed me to still have food sporadically without fear of reaching upper limits). Not sure if you’re interested in changing that but the second page of my spreadsheet has a list of multivitamins compared side by side. I notice yours is Alive Women’s though so your needs will be different from mine (though I believe the majority of the supplements I looked at are gender-neutral…except the GNC Mega men multivitamin). Figured it may be a help but feel free to ignore it!

I’m pretty sure she’s replying to the deleted part, which was why I deleted it. Somehow I missed the per/kg part - which meant the study I had referenced was using 200mg and above per kg which was super crazy.

Partially, it’s because I already have half of a 5 gallon canister of coconut oil that I can use. There were some issues with olive oil, mostly the cost to get it from a reputable source. Because of the inflammation issues that I have, I’m really trying to stay away from certain oils, and I want to be able to be sure what’s in mine. Recent studies done on different mainstream olive oil brands didn’t inspire confidence in me. Fish oil is a good, concentrated alternative for omega 3’s although @Teseracto is right and I’ve recently come across info about the necessity of ALA as well, other than conversion, so I’ll be upping that amount.

Coconut oil has many benefits and I’m not afraid of the saturated fat like some others are.

Thanks for the resource on multi’s. I’m going to have to do some research this weekend, and prob switch it out. There are other formulations of the alive brand that have way less of everything. In part, I’m not as worried about the high levels because my plan is to reevaluate everything in a month. Because of my digestion issues, and the diet that I’ve been forced to live on, I KNOW I’m malnourished, and I have a lot of health issues that could be (probably are) attributed to that fact. I figure that I have a margin where I can take high levels of pretty much anything that hasn’t been shown to be toxic for as little as a month without any serious side effects. Long enough to maybe see some resolvement of some of these issues, and as @Teseracto mentioned, improve my mental performance enough to do some deeper research. As it is right now, the time that I have spent researching this recipe has been absolutely exhausting to me, both physically and mentally.

Indeed.

A very good idea, I have a similar one. Makes choosing much easier.

@spryte

As it is right now, the time that I have spent researching this recipe has been absolutely exhausting to me, both physically and mentally.

Amen! And thanks for the insights on the oils.

@Teseracto Nice spreadsheet and there’s not much overlap between ours, I’ll definitely keep researching the multivitamins. Presumably with enough time, the community will essentially crowdsource which multivamins are most agreeable for the recipes. I’m pretty surprised at how different the amounts are across these things (aside from obviously the intentional varying formulations for genders/age, etc.).

How does this taste? Whey and buckwheat have very very interesting flavour profiles. Buckwheat is great in soba noodles, but I’m curious how it tastes raw and unsweetened.

My guess is not great. :wink:

I haven’t actually bought the ingredients yet, so I’m not sure how it will taste.

Your guess was correct. It is Not Good. Trying to adjust some things to mask it now.