Low-fat soylent?

Recent studies such as this one, https://www.nature.com/nutd/journal/v7/n3/full/nutd20173a.html, have demonstrated that one of the most healthful diets is a low-fat plant-based diet. With this in mind, I’d really like to reduce my fat consumption. Problem is, due to gastroparesis, I have to eat a lot of liquid meals and I rely on Soylent for half my calories each day. And Soylent’s fat content is a lot higher than what I want to be eating.

My first choice would be to go back to the last version of powdered Soylent where the fat came in the form of an extra oil bottle to be added separately. First, that was the best tasting of all the versions of Soylent. Second, that would allow me to control the amount of fat in the drink. But Rosa Labs doesn’t seem interested in selling older versions of their product.

So what to do? Has anyone identified a good low-fat vegan alternative to Soylent? (Low glycemic index would also be desirable).

Perhaps something like @axcho’s Athlete Fuel mixed with almond or soy milk?

Any chance you live in Canada? Because it seems they will need to lower the fat percentage from 47% to 30% to keep selling here.

That would work - or just Schmilk mixed with almond or soy milk. :slight_smile:

I think one of the issues with low fat, is that it gets replaced with carbs, which is not the best IMO. Protein, would be better, but may be more expensive??? Check out Biolent, they have a regular, Keto and Flex version that have varying macros to suite different needs.

This is only sort of related to what you’re talking about, but the whole “low fat” craze back several decades ago is more than just a little bit responsible for today’s obesity epidemic. I’m sure that you’re aware, but fat is good for you (as are many things in the proper quantities), and Soylent’s fat content is far from unhealthy.

Here’s Soylent’s official thoughts on the matter…

I keep seeing articles in the NYTimes that say that many Americans, particularly men and boys, already consume too much protein in the mistaken belief that the more the merrier.

I fully agree! I don’t think fat is bad for people. I simply can’t digest too much fat and it causes stomach upset because I have IBD. I think the high fat content is partly responsible for the part of the population who experience stomach issues from soylent. So for me it’s not about fat is particularly unhealthy… it’s about too much fat in one’s system just causes stomach issues that can lead to malabsorption of nutrients and way too many bathroom trips!

Basically, I just don’t want to see the carbs increased or the fat increased. Protein is the least harmful of the 3 for me personally. But I also have IBD.

A low-fat, high-carb, whole-food plant-based diet has long been established to be one of the most healthy eating patterns, both from population surveys and controlled experiments – it’s what the longest lived peoples of the world eat, and the basis for most of the proven dietary interventions for heart disease and cancer. To the extent that people interpreted a “low-fat diet” as reason to eat lots of lean meats and fat-free doughnuts, then yes, that could have contributed to the obesity epidemic. But the obesity epidemic was most certainly not caused by people adding more fruits, veggies, whole grains and legumes to their diet.

It’s an open question whether a highly processed drink like Soylent could ever replicate what makes a whole-food plant-based diet so healthful. Maybe a high-carb version of Soylent would have too high a glycemic index (since it is a liquid, with not as much fiber as you’d get in a whole food), and would turn out to be as unhealthy as eating sugary junk food. Maybe the current high-fat macronutrient profile is essential for keeping the glycemic index low. So perhaps the current macronutrient ratios are a necessary compromise, but l’d be much more interested in seeing if Rosa Labs can construct a version of Soylent that more closely matches a known, healthy macronutrient profile of a whole-food plant-based diet.

I’d be happy to continue this discussion over on the Nutrition forum.

Maybe Soylent should switch from drink to food bar to slow down absorption?

Note: moving this from post in nutrition forum

Edit: just noticed your original post that says you need liquid meals. Nonetheless, your comment directly above makes me wonder whether solid food or some sort is necessary to achieve the ideal nutrition.

I just took a look at Jevity which is used in feeding tubes and for other medical uses. It has almost the same glysemic index and load as Soylent but 58% of calories come from carbs and 30% of calories come from fat. So maybe it is possible to make a high carb drink without a high glysemic index/load.

However, the serving size is 355 calories for Jevity and it is 400 for Soylent, so Jevity’s glysemic index and load would be higher at the same serving size as Soylent. I’m not sure how much higher it would be.

Glycemix Index doesn’t increase with serving size - glycemic load does.

Thanks for the correction. Jevity has a glysemic index of 48 which is lower than Soylent’s glysemic index of 49. And Jevity is 58% carbs.

So it appears possible to make a low glysemic index liquid with lower fat and higher carbs than Soylent 2.0.

I thought Soylent decided to go with high fat to reduce the glysemic index, but there must have been more reasons for the high fat content than just that. The decision to go high fat was probably also made to help with the gas issues people were having on the prior formulas with lower fat.