Low iron vegan protein

I am looking for a low iron vegan protein. Most if not all the plant based proteins I’ve looked at come with a hefty dose of iron.

Am curious - is the iron inherent in the protein source, or is it supplemented into the protein mixes you’re seeing?

The iron seems to be inherent in the protein. It’s not bad if I’m only using 1 or 2 servings in a recipe. If I want to do low carb or high protein it becomes a problem.

I carry the gene for hemochomatosis, so I’m careful about iron - but all the proteins I use are whey-based, though, and there’s no measurable iron in them (except the chocolate-flavored version, which has a little bit of iron that comes in with the cocoa powder.) My biggest source of iron is actually the oat flour, itself.

I agree that whey protein has very little iron in it but its not vegan ( being made from milk and all). What I’m looking for is a vegan protein that won’t break the iron bank.

I was thinking about switching to the vegan protein optimizer formula and you’re right it has a significant amount of iron. Something to consider.

No, no, I get that whey is not an option if you’re trying to be vegan… I was just expanding the iron issue to cover the most commonly used protein, because this topic brings up iron as well as protein.

(And, to be honest, I had never actually checked the iron levels of my proteins individually, even though I pay attention to the iron total in my DIY.)

Actually, this just got me thinking about the bioavailability of iron… if you can’t limit your intake, maybe you can limit your uptake. I did a quick check on the LPI site about ways to limit iron absorption (such as taking lots of calcium), was reading on heme and non-heme iron (heme is found in animal products, non-heme in plant products), and found this:

Because iron from plants is less efficiently absorbed than that from animal sources, the U.S. Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) has estimated that the bioavailability of iron from a vegetarian diet is only 10%, while it is 18% from a mixed diet. Therefore, the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for iron from a completely vegetarian diet should be adjusted as follows: 14 mg/day for adult men and postmenopausal women, 33 mg/day for premenopausal women, and 26 mg/day for adolescent girls (17).
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/iron/

Have you been targeting the normal male RDA of 8mg? If you’re staying vegan, you may not need to go quite so low on the iron.

Complete Recipe Criticism

That’s a really good point. Makes sense that you should have more leeway from a plant based source.

My current vegan recipe has a hair under 13mg of iron. So if I want to keep it safe for people like @MentalNomad I don’t have much wiggle room.

My formulas have 9 to 11 grams of iron, almost exclusively from the oat flour, and I was unhappy to have it over the 8mg RDA. Now that I know the RDA is 14mg for vegetable-sourced (non-heme) iron, I feel better about it.

I use a no-iron multivitamin (most ‘for men’ multis also have no iron), and my iron levels at my last blood test were fine (middle of the range.)

I only have one gene for hemochromatosis, not a matched pair, so I’m not going to develop a serious problem (it’s recessive), but I may be at slightly increased odds, so I’ll just continue to pay attention to it.

(Off topic, it sucks that the FDA has directed 23andme to stop selling health-related reports to consumers. I think they’re a wonderful source of information.)

Agreed. Found out I was at increased odds of getting type 2 diabetes and sure enough when I had my blood sugar tested I was minimally above the norm.

I found out I was at highly increased risk of blood clots in the form of deep vein thrombosis or life-threatening pulmonary embolism. Armed with this knowledge, I can:

1. Take baby aspirin daily.
  2. Take fish oil regularly.
  3. Get up and move around every 60-90 minutes when sitting, on long drives, and on airplane flights.

These three simple, healthy things stand a good chance of preventing my untimely death, or at least avoiding a lot of pain. Possibly healthy for everyone, but for more important for me.