Macadamia Nut Oil

This is a continuation of an off-topic discussion in the lovely Optimal Micronutrient Ratios discussion thread.

Macadamia nut oil is interesting because it has a unique fat makeup of roughly 81% monounsaturated, 3% polyunsaturated in a 2 Ω6 to 1 Ω3 ratio, and 16% saturated fats. It has a smooth buttery slightly nutty flavor. (I’ll let you know for sure after I taste it.) It is very shelf stable partly due to its low amounts of polyunsaturated fats. The price is probably the worst part. It is the most expensive nut to purchase in the world, isn’t it? Another bad part is that some people are allergic to tree nuts. Just on the price and allergenic point, I think it’s safe to say this will never be a part of official Soylent.

So why is it an interesting oil? Its fatty acid makeup. (And hopefully flavor too!) It generally has a very high Oleic acid content, like olive oil. I write “generally,” because these things apparently change a lot depending on “the cultivar, maturity of the fruit, altitude, climate, and several other factors.” It seems like a good fatty acid to get a majority of your calories from. There’s an ongoing discussion about ideal ratios, ideal amounts, and safe amounts of lots of nutrients, including different fatty acids, going on in the thread I linked to at the beginning.

It is also low in polyunsaturated fats, and in particular, Omega-6 (Ω6). If you are looking to minimize your Ω6 intake to some level of your choosing, while minimizing saturated fats, this seems like the ideal oil.
For a more complete breakdown of the fats, here is one supplier’s information: Textron Organic Macadamia Oil Product Data Sheet.

Although the oil is perfectly fine to eat, (but possibly some produced aren’t food grade, make sure and check!) this producer is currently targeting towards cosmetics and doesn’t have complete nutritional information available on that data sheet. For example, the oil should contain, at the minimum, some amount of vitamin E. Any help finding a complete profile for the oil in general and posting it here would be awesome! :smile:

Interestingly, the NOW Foods brand oil has a makeup that shows some of the ranges from Textron’s data sheet averaged. I think there’s a good possibility that Textron is their supplier.

If we can’t find real nutritional data, I’m planning to look to see if there’s a significant pattern in what micronutrients are in a given nut compared to its oil. If there is a significant pattern, I plan to use that to estimate what’s in macadamia oil compared to the USDA nutrient database profile of a raw macadamia nut. Maybe just eating raw macadamia nuts to begin with would be best… (I have tasted one raw, guerilla style, from a road in Hawaii. It is very different from the roasted taste, FYI. I liked it, but I don’t think most do.)

You probably shouldn’t only consume this oil. At this point I’m looking into using it along with olive, krill, and maybe a little coconut oil. I’m researching a daily fat mix that would put my Ω3 intake at 1.6g to 3g, my intake of Ω6 at roughly 2.3x that while keeping Ω6 below 4% of overall daily kcal, minimize but not eliminate saturated fats, keep Euric acid under 500mg, minimize Palmitic acid and get 40% of the kilocalories from my diet from fat in general. I’m still researching, but the end goal is 40% kcal from fat, 20% kcal protein, and 40% kcal carbohydrates. Sound vaguely familiar? It kind of lines up naturally, more or less, to what I’m trying to put in my nutritional ooze… my Nutriooze™. I’ll put my recipe up, whenever it gets finished, in another thread for you all to laugh at and tear apart. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But to the topic, what do you think of macadamia nut oil, my new fall fling? Has anyone seen good, reliable information about it in general, and in particular its full nutritional information? Are macadamia nuts dry roasted before they are pressed into oil or do they press them raw? If you really care about avoiding pesticide doses over safe limits, do you have to buy an organically farmed nut oil? I have found opinions either way, but not any empirical evidence yet.

Keep on truckin’

Optimal Micronutrient Ratios

Why not? It has 15% saturated fat too, so it’s not devoid of it. Quite similar to olive oil in both saturated fat and mono-unsaturated content, really. Only olive oil has a whole bunch of Omega 6 added, and not much Omega 3.

I myself am planning to go mainly with Macadamia nut oil. I’ve also got some sunflower oil that’s included in the salted potato chips in my recipe, so to bring everything back in balance I add some flax oil for the ALA omega 3 and a supplement for EPA+DHA. This gets me a ratio of o6:o3 of 1.6:1, and a total energy from PUFA of 4.4%. Somewhat high, but I’ve got a good o6:o3 ratio so it should be fine.

See this link for my recipe, which tends to be in flux.

As for nutritional information, I’ve written ~6 sellers, and so far have had a response from two of them. Both didn’t tell me anything, since they don’t know either. It may be best to contact manufacturers directly, instead of sellers.

There are at least a few reasons you might want to include other oils. In fact, you mentioned yourself reasons why you are including other oils.

I’m sick of typing out “macadamia nut oil,” so I’m just going to abbreviate it MNO.

It all comes down to the fact that there are certain fatty acids, triglycerides, phospholipids, and whatever other nutrients that don’t appear to be in MNO. Maybe you want to include those in your nutrition. You mentioned adding flax oil and a supplement for ALA. Also, you are adding the EPA and DHA fatty acids, which can be from fish oil, krill oil, algae, or probably other things too.

Another reason for considering using more than one oil is that fatty acid interactions are super complicated. Maybe you think you need to tweak the ratios and amounts of different ones compared to what you’d get in a single oil.

Then there are medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs. You might want to consume those. I don’t think MNO is a significant source of them, but please correct me if I’m wrong. They are an ingredient in v0.8 of Soylent, and I, personally, guess that they will be in v1.0. There are two links to academic papers about their “fat burning” benefits. Here is a review about what we knew about them… from 1982. :frowning: I don’t yet know if there is significantly different information about them that is more up to date. MCTs are found in, but certainly not limited to, coconut oil, breast milk, and (most?) infant formula. (As an aside, I recently realized: Isn’t Soylent, whether official of do-it-yourself, essentially trying to be a powdered breast milk substitute tailored for adult nutrition? :smile:)

Another reason for other oils could be that MNO doesn’t contain some phospholipid you want to eat. I’ve read from unreliable sources that MNO contains lecithin, but I really don’t know about other ones. I also don’t know how much one should care about these based on evidence.

Then there’s always the argument that there are always things about nutrition that we don’t know, so we should vary what we eat so we don’t “miss” anything. It is kind of similar to Pascal’s Wager. On the other hand, by never knowing everything about nutrition, we might be consuming something harmful in excess as a result of varying our diet too much. Everyone can pick their opinion on that whole thing. If you end up wanting more variety in your diet, you probably shouldn’t only eat one oil.

I hope that when the Soylent v1.0 formula is released, they provide some rationale for each substance they include. That’d be helpful, since they’ve written that they are working with experts about these type of things in general. I can’t wait until more papers stop being behind anti-humanity pay walls. ¡Viva la revolución!

As always, please correct or discuss anything I ever write here. I’m a hobbyist and a layman about this all. :smile:

If there’s a specific paper you’d like to look at, I am going to college right now and have access to some databases.

Thanks for the taking the trouble to write such a well-linked reply :slight_smile:

Correct, MNO doesn’t contain much MCTs. See this link for a detailed fatty acid breakdown of the nuts (not the oil). http://thepaleodiet.com/nut-fatty-acid-composition/

It’s got a tiny bit of 12-length, and a bit of 14-length. Most of its saturated fats are Palmitic acid (16-length).

I looked around a bit, I didn’t know much about MCTs yet. They seem interesting.

Note that MCTs help against late-onset Alzheimers iff you have the APOE4 gene. This is one of the genes that www.23andme.com checks for, that’s pretty cool!

I’ll consider adding some coconut oil to my recipe! :slight_smile:

Edit: Regrading Soylent v0.8: Rob recently told he’s using canola oil as a main source of fat, combined with flax and fish oil. I’m not sure where the MCTs went, really… http://discourse.soylent.me/t/grapeseed-oil-huge-amounts-of-omega-6/5069/14

Having received no useful responses to the Macadamia Oil Micronutrient inquiries, I checked out some other oils on http://nutritiondata.self.com.

As it turns out, the only micronutrients I found in any nut-based oils were Vitamin E, K, and Choline. This doesn’t seem to be a lack of information, either: The other nutrients are specifically listed as having 0.0 mg. This is the case for peanut, walnut, hazelnut, almond, sesame, soybean, canola, etc.

I guess we don’t need to worry about this then. The Vitamin E isn’t scary (I’m predicting between 0.1 and 1.0 mg per 100 gram, based on comparisons), Vitamin K has no upper limit, and the Choline amount is typically quite low (less than 1 mg/100 g).