Macronutrient Ratio

I didn’t realize that the doctor that came up with the major shift toward fat which started in version 1.4 is the same person that came up with the original macronutrient ratio. Note: I find the product much easier to digest since the newer versions with higher fat. But I nonetheless find the below interesting.

Soylent regarding version 1.0:

As advised by our nutritional advisor, F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, M.D., MPH, Soylent has a Carbohydrate/Fat/Protein ratio of 50/30/20. Pi-Sunyer is professor of medicine at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City. At St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center he serves as chief of endocrinology, diabetes, and nutrition, and is director of the New York Obesity Research Center. Dr. Pi-Sunyer is also a senior attending physician at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital and New York-Presbyterian Hospital. This and general agreement within the field gives us confidence that this is a good macronutrient ratio for the general population.

Regarding version 1.4:

Version 1.4, introduced in February 2015, used a carbohydrate/fat/protein calorie ratio of 43/40/17, based on the advice of F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, a professor of medicine at Columbia University.[52]