Magnesium Oxide...4% bio availability?

So I ran out of magnesium chloride (thankfully, too much salty non sense in my recipe already)

Picked up magnesium Oxide without much thought, Now brand, it says 1/4 teaspoon (700 mg) is equal to 100% RDA (400 mg)

but that isn’t true at all! , apparently these companies are listing in elemental totals not actual bio availability

Which means I should probably go back and take a look at all the other ingredients…

It would also be a good idea to check to make sure that the bio availability isn’t affected by other factors as well.

I did some rigorous experimentation on myself with magnesium last year. It was based on an erroneously high target for magnesium at the time. But in that process I discovered that oxide was really bad and the best form of magnesium is in one of the chelated forms.

Magnesium chelates are attached to a protein of some kind. The absorption is much, much higher, and you don’t get any laxative side effects. It’s more expensive, but you don’t need as much of it.

crap, I orderd mag citrate without thinking this through, did I just order laxative?

Don’t worry, it’s only a laxative if you want to supplement more than 400mg. I was able to push it to 600mg by having it spread evenly throughout the day in my soylent. The low bioavailability shouldn’t matter if you do that much anyway.

Edit: Oxide isn’t water soluble, though, so you may lose some through some sedimentation at the bottom.

It also seems the formula for Soylent 1.0 contains magnesium in the form of magnesium oxide… I’m not sure if they took the low bio availability into account.

Part of the magnesium content is from the oat flour, and part is from MgO. How much is from which is yet unknown, since they changed the formula from the november blog post.

Thanks for the quick response!

If this is the case i guess they dump MgO with some other kind in the next version.