Making powder taste and feel more like RTD

I started drinking Soylent back on 1.4-1.8 and took a long break. We started back when RTD hit Walmart and Target. My wife and I have been drinking it 6-12 bottles a week now. The problem is the price and the waste. I want us to go back to powder, but I’m afraid she won’t like it. She never really liked the powder and I kind of just dealt with it.

Does anyone have any tricks (mixing, water volume, etc) to make the powder more like the RTD?

I’ll tell ya, we ran out of RTD once a while back, and our monthly subscription was due to arrive in a few days so I figured we’d make do with some of the powder we still had remaining. Hadn’t had powder in a long time at that point, months at least, maybe more like a year. I gotta say… I wasn’t much of a fan. I was so used to the RTD at that point I’d forgotten about the grittiness, mixing, and cleanup required with Soylent powder. We managed to get through it but once our delivery of RTD arrived, I vowed to never EVER again run out, and we never have.

2 Likes

Not giving me a lot of hope there, buddy! JK, I still appreciate the feedback.

I’m trying 1.9 for the first time, so fingers crossed.

I’m trying to be scientific about it. Here’s my first test:

Water:
I’m trying to blend a total of 70 (14 x 5) fluid ounces instead of 60 (12 x 5).
I used room temperature, filtered water. I kinda eyed it until I got the 70 oz line. I want to be more exact with that in the future.

Powder:
I thought it might mix better if the powder was less clumpy. So I poured the powder through a flour sifter before it went into the mixer. Great results from that. Zero clumps.

Blending:
I used a Vitamix on the lowest setting.
It left a 1/2" foam head on it. Not ideal but about the same as I used to see from hand shaking it.

1 Like

Nice idea to use a sifter! I’m very curious to hear how it ultimately goes for you. We still have a fair amount of powder left actually (several versions) and I’d like to use it up somehow but that grittiness was tough once I was acclimated to RTD.

I tried it (Cafe Mocha) this morning. It still tastes and feels nothing like RTD. It was palatable to me, but my wife couldn’t finish it. She said, “It still has that ‘pancake batter’ taste.”

It was MUCH smoother than the last time I tried it. I can’t say for certain it was because of my method or the difference between 1.8 and 1.9, but I like preparing it this way. It’s still grittier than RTD, but not nearly as much as it used to be.

I’m curious about the powder. I’ve been wondering if it would mix better if it was powderized finer. I’m gonna try that with my Vitamix on the next batch of powder.

I’ve posted this recipe a few other times, but I think it’s worth posting again. It has been FANTASTIC for me and I’ve eaten the same thing nearly every day for lunch since Cacao came out (that’s when I bought my first Soylent) and look forward to many more years of it.

• 300 grams of cool or cold water
  • 85-100 grams of Cacao soylent powder
  • 60-90 grams of frozen strawberries (I aim for 70) - this adds some tartness and sweetness without adding too much strawberry flavor, which does not go well with the rest of the ingredients
  • 5-10 grams (I aim for 10, unless I’m trying to decrease protein intake) of powdered peanuts (PB2 or PBFit) - this adds a richness to balance out the strawberries
  • 1 fresh (NOT FROZEN) banana - this made the biggest difference in texture, and adds a lot of sweetness

If you do 90g/70g/10g on the soylent/strawberries/PB2, you end up with ~500 calories of DELICIOUSNESS. The strawberries and powdered peanuts are easy to keep around in bulk, so it shouldn’t be a big deal to keep those around. The bananas are, unfortunately, much harder to keep around and keep fresh - but they are the single most important addition. If you try frozen, you’ll regret it. For some reason blended frozen bananas result in a VERY foamy drink… not at all pleasant.

Oh, and I mix this on the highest setting in my blender at home. At the office, I have a single-serving blender at the office (Oster Blend-n-Go), and all of these ingredients just barely fit in it. The fuller the better. When that single-serving blender is full enough, no air reaches the blades and it results in an even smoother texture (fewer bubbles). At home, there’s no way to fill the blender that full so I just mix it at the highest setting for 30-60 seconds and then bang the glass on the counter a few times to pop some of the largest bubbles.

To make prep even easier at the office, I use one of my empty PB2 tubs and pre-mix the soylent and PB2 in the proper ratio.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t want to add anything if I don’t have to, but I still appreciate the input. I especially am interested in the fact you use the highest setting. I’ve been keeping it slow to reduce foaming. I hate to add one more variable to my “experiment” but I think I’ll try that too on the next round.

I prefer the Cafe Mocha RTD to the powder on its own, but usually mix the Cafe Mocha powder 50/50 with the Original powder which makes the two more comparable. The powder has a sharper bitterness to it than the RTD version. Mixing it with Original smooths out some of the bitter notes and improves the taste significantly. I like black coffee, but for some reason the bitterness of the Cafe Mocha powder is a little too sour/burnt tasting on its own, like a bad espresso.

1 Like

Test 2:

Poured entire bag of Soylent café mocha into Vitamix container. It filled up to 32 fl oz line.

Blended dry powder by starting at 1, quickly increasing to 10, and then at 10 for 30 seconds.

Powder is noticeably finer, although clumped into small chunks.

Repeated blending for another 30 seconds.

Blender and powder began getting hot and smelled sharp. Might have over blended it. I quickly stopped the blender.

Transferred powder out of blender and filled with 32 ounces of hot (175° F), filtered water.

Turned on blender at speed 1, and poured powder into blender through flour sifter until all powder was liquified. (Powder would not pour into sifter. It didn’t want to move. Had to use a spoon to drag it out.)

Resulted in 44 ounces. Minimal, if any head. Small bubbles on surface.

Blended in 26 fl oz of hot, filtered water on speed 1 for 30 seconds.

Extremely thin head of foam on top (approx 1 mm)

Poured 14 fl oz into a 16 fl oz mason jar and remainder into a 64 fl oz mason jar.

(I was going to prep 5 servings in the RTD bottles behind them, but my assistant (13-year-old daughter) forgot to wash them.)

I tasted the mixture and found the texture to be a little bit less gritty than the last experiment, but at this point it is hard to tell the difference.

It was surprisingly nice to drink warm. I might try that again in the future. It had a slightly nutty tone to the flavor, which I believe was caused by the overheating during the dry-blending. Oddly enough it wasn’t a bad thing.

Both containers were put in the refrigerator overnight to chill.

I’ll try it tomorrow morning and report back!

1 Like

And now for the results. Without a doubt, it was the best texture of any Soylent powder I’ve ever prepared. The grit is still there, but it’s barely more than the RTD. The flavor was worse than the last batch, but I think that was mostly due to over-blending the dry powder.

In the next experiment I will try making two half batches: one with just hot water and the other with just dry-blended powder. IDK if I can stick with the Cafe Mocha powder though. I am sick of the taste.

I always liked the original powder because it was so flexible with flavoring. Personally I liked citrus but I know chocolate fans tended to go that direction with great results.

Doesn’t hot water reduce/kill off the effectiveness of the vitamins?

1 Like

Most of the nutrient loss from heat is caused by boiling the vitamins out of food. The vitamins are often intact but in the water. Therefore when you boil vegetables, you’re pouring the vitamins down the drain.

Since the water is retained in the drink, the vitamins that may have come out of the powder are still in the drink.

Also, the water is never near boiling at only 175° F. This would put it close to the high-temperature short-time pasteurization temperatures of 165 °F for 30 seconds. (It was probably lower than that when I actually mixed it up.)

I don’t know if this is the same for vitamins, but at temperatures higher than about 110 degrees Fahrenheit, proteins will start to denature. They don’t break down, but denaturing means they lose their shape, and shape plays just as much a role in function as the actual chemical makeup of proteins. So when you mix with higher temperature water, at least some of the proteins will lose their effectiveness, but again not sure if this is the same with the vitamins and other supplements.

It is strange to me talking about “the powder” as if they are all the same. I find the cacao powder quite drinkable.

not ideal but about the same as I used to see from hand shaking it.