Maltodextrin Alternatives (UK)

Afternoon all,

I’m looking for a bit of help - lower GI maltodextrin sources aren’t readily available round my way in the UK, bulkpowders.co.uk only has a corn version.

I tried making a DIY version with just oats as a carb source & it was REALLY thick (and floury, I tried cooking up the oats on a second attempt & it all turned into a gelatinous solid!)

A few questions;

Do people get an insulin spike from using high GI maltodextrins in their DIY Soylent or does a 50:50 mix of oats and their maltodextrin prevent this?

Are there any alternatives to maltodextrin that can be used as a energy source without making the soylent really thick or floury?

Thanks in advance!

This is my recipe. http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/hoyers-taste

Also with maltodextrine from Bulkpowders. I like this recipe a lot and I dont experience any sugar spikes.
It could be a bit on the floury side though, but you really can get used to it. Aquired tase :wink:

Thanks - is your method to simply blend everything together & add water?

I suppose if consumed in smaller quantities over a period of time there’s no issue with insulin spikes (I may well stand corrected on this!)

yes. I make a powder, later to be blended with water & oil,
But usually I use fruit-juice or a kind of syrup instead of water.

I’ve been using Palatinose/Isomaltulose, which supposedly has a low GI. I don’t think I get any spiking at all.

As for ratios, I have 160g oats, 163g flour and 50g isomaltulose. Without the sweetened flavouring I’m using, it doesn’t taste particularly sweet and isn’t too thick. I wouldn’t call it floury either. Did you try adding more water?

I haggled my both my maltodextrin and my oat powder down for my recipe by adopting a slightly lower carb mix (though still pretty close to 50% calories from carbs by volume).

Thickness and powderiness depend hugely on how it’s mixed and if it’s been left to ‘soak’. If it’s left to soak for a few hours it’s pleasantly thick (like a milkshake) and barely gritty (though the chia seeds don’t dissolve, they go very gooey).

It doesn’t taste sweet at all (so I often add a drop of honey), can’t tell you if I’ve had any insulin reactions but it certainly doesn’t give me any kind of sugar rush.

1 Like

At least in the German market i hardly find any Maltodextrin with an DE lower than 20.
DE20 is almost glucose sirup, according to wikipeida . Any alternatives or is DE20 okay?

Please visit Pulve.com if you are looking for a product without maltodextrines. Free shipping within 2-3 working days to the UK.

Read more about our product and our company on Our introduction to the community, Pulve.com or www.pulve.com.

Cheers!

You could try Huel which doesn’t have maltodextrin either

FYI, I flagged this; you cut-and-paste into three different threads. Flagged two, left alone the one in “Alternatives in Europe” where it fits best.

Also, good idea to not cut-and-paste into a thread that is over a year old.

Cheers!

1 Like