Maltodextrin concerns: gut biofilm increasing risk of disease

(No, not wheat- nor GMO-alarmist)

There’s research implicating maltodextrin (and polysaccharides in general) in creating a gut environment conducive to disease (namely Crohn’s):

So, this is a concern for me when evaluating the long-term risks of a diet that uses Soylent 2.0 for a significant proportion of calories. I’m trying to balance the risk by regular consumption of beneficial bacteria (kefir, kimchi), but I’m interested to hear others’ thoughts.

Several people with Crohn’s and IBS have reported improvements on Soylent.

Though that’s short term.

I expect that people with Crohn’s or IBS who tried soylent but found it made things worse wouldn’t bother joining a soylent forum to talk about it, so there may be some sampling bias to that (encouraging!) anecdata.
also, yea, short term. and - were they reporting specifically about 2.0, or earlier versions without maltodextrin?

My IBS improved immensely since I started using DIY over a year ago. I rarely had any symptoms at all.

Since I switched to 2.0 my constipation has come back somewhat, but it’s pretty mild. No other symptoms.

With both DIY and 2.0, Soylent is 50-75% of my calories.

All versions of Soylent have had maltodextrin as a major ingredient.

ah. thanks for the correction.

If I remember correctly, the dextrose equivalent (DE) of the maltodextrin used by Rosa Labs in Soylent is equal to 10. That is a relatively long glucose polymer chain. According to the above-referenced paper, maltodextrin-mediated biofilm formation on the epithelium is more effective with long-chain maltodextrin such as that which is found in Soylent.

since soylent’s maltodextrin is more effective for biofilm formation, is there anything you’re doing as a soylent user to mitigate the biofilm’s harm to the gut?

i drink kombucha every other day, plus i take probiotics. I was using Bio K but switched to Udo’s Choice Super 8. Both are good, Bio K is pretty expensive though. Kombucha is technically expensive too, but if you get the alcoholic ones, you get your afternoon drink and health drink in one, so in that sense it isn’t that pricey. It can be tough to tell what does and doesn’t work, but any diet should have probiotics in some form, whether it’s fermented foods or supplements.

I’m not a regular Soylent user. I have my own formulation which I greatly prefer to Soylent and which does not contain maltodextrin.