Hello DIY’ers! You may have seen me posting around the past few weeks looking for advice. Well, I’ve finally finished up my first recipe and I would love some feedback, advice, comments, concerns, criticisms, etc etc. (This recipe was never intended to be vegan or gluten free as I personally am not overly concerned with either.)
Recipe: NOD MassFuel 2500c ($9.74/d) http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/nod-massfuel-unflavored (“Lights” being my other identity, lol)
(My spreadsheet I adapted from another DIYer that shows ratios: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoaQ149djT5jdENfcnJnMDZEaC1OSXpFVElZOUlaQlE&usp=sharing)
Overview: My goal was a high calorie, fat heavy macro to include only enough protein/carbs to cover my personal requirements (protein = 0.82g/lb body weight/ Carbs = 130g minimum for brain energy) with a neutral flavor for easy adaption. I wanted to use the best forms (taste and bioavailability) of supplements while keeping the cost below $10/day, which I was just able to do. And finally, I tried to pay very close attention to all of the micros and get all of the recommended amounts which I believe I have mostly done.
Note: I have not tried this yet! I’ve just completed the ingredients and servings; it is on order, though. For flavor I plan on adding Stevia and PB2 as a start, but will be experimenting with many of the flavor recommendations found in various threads. I hope the texture will be similar to Schmoylent once blended, as I’d prefer to make the night before and have a smoother shake. We shall see.
- Carb Source
- Oat Flour - for smooth texture and neutral taste (masa considered as a secondary option)
- Protein Source
- Whey Concentrate - higher calories and allegedely better taste than isolate
- Organic Rice Protein - I wanted multiple sources where possible for variety/texture
- Fat Source
- Olive Oil - overall seemed the most balanced choice (still debating adding coconut oil)
- Heavy cream/powdered milk - for extra calories and creaminess; plan on experimenting with powdered cream soon
- AOR Multi Basics 3 - highly recommended brand, and I liked the flexibility of 3 pills/serving
- I went with a variety of forms based on different recommendations on taste, effects, and bioavailabilty.
Mainly I’m hoping people could do a once over on the micros/supplement forms and let me know if anything jumps out as being a concern. I spent a lot of time researching everything, but I came in not knowing anything and could have very easily overlooked or misunderstood various things. Also, I’m confident on my numbers, but mistakes happen. Note that “Sulfur” numbers are pulled from the SAAs.
- Niacin 120mg: Well above RDA, but my understanding is below 50mg/serving, no “flushing” should occur
- Cholesterol 400mg - Higher than a recommended limit of 300mg, but I’m hoping not enough to be a concern
- Potassium Gluconate 23g - This seems like a really high number, but I wanted the 4.7g/K a day and no other way to get it. (add a banana or two instead?)
- Micro Ratios - My Zinc:Copper ratio is a little low and Calcium:Magnesium high. But hopefully close enough.
- Fish Oil - I’m counting on 6ml of oil not affecting the taste for a day’s batch
- Texture - I don’t know what to fully expect. I’m looking for smooth and thin.
All feedback is appreciated! This is going to be 80% of my food starting Jan 1 (hopefully).