Maybe Rosa Labs should just add probiotics to Soylent?

Just like they do with oil. It seems to be the one thing that makes the room-clearing farts go away. Also, probiotics are considered more and more important as new research is done.

Live Probiotics

I wonder how much a daily supplement of probiotics would affect the flavor of Soylent. If we’re talking negligible then maybe provide it as an add-on?

I doubt probiotics would affect someone negatively but I don’t like the idea of including stuff like this for everyone that orders.

I don’t like that other ingredient (not mentioning it, don’t want to derail your thread) was added already.

Do mention it. Salt? Oil?

I don’t like the idea of throwing it in for everyone, because many people probably won’t need it. I’d rather they just tried for a better “gut friendly” mix of core ingredients or have some probiotics that have been proven to work for Soylent users available as an addon.

Really, long term, I don’t see how 1 formula is going to work for everyone. That’s the PITA with biology, everyone reacts differently to things. I’d be happy with addon options or a choice of different core formulas.

“Probiotics” are not one thing. Bacteria strain selection and dosage hasn’t really been nailed down by science yet, and it may be something that has to be formulated individually depending on what kind and how many bacteria you already have. The marketing has far outstripped the science on them. If you found one that works for you, that’s great, but it would probably have varying effects on different people. Probiotics are just bacteria, and can cause sepsis. They probably are important but the dosage is what differentiates medicine from poison… http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002586/

@ruipacheco - I think @gannas was referring to the sweetener (sucralose?).

My “room-clearing” gas eventually stopped peeling the paint off the walls, but I’m definitely still gassy. Tried Beano the other day to no effect. Will try probiotics next.

“Probiotic” is a term of art, not science. If bacteria do something you want, they’re “probiotic;” if they don’t, they’re not.

For instance, Activia yogurt. They patented a strain of bacteria that promotes “regularity” (of the bowels) and actually called it “bifidus regularis.”

I knew someone who tried it, and eating a serving a day (the amount recommended) caused wet, splatty bowel movements. Now, if someone suffered from constipation, maybe they would call that effect “probiotic;” but when I eat something that does that to me (i.e. presumably from bacteria, not fiber), I call it “low-grade food poisoning.”

So probiotics may not be a one-size-fits all solution. Having said that, I’m all in favor of fixing the gas issue, and if certain bacteria will do that (without undesirable side effects), I’m all for it. :sunny:

Sucralose (ducking!)

I didn’t want to mention it given that it tends to derail threads and has been clubbed to death in other threads previously.

Try a combination of probiotics (there are a million different ones and you’ll have to try a few; for me Align worked the best) and digestive enzymes (you’ll also have to try a few to find what works for you)

Altering the composition of your intestinal flora, either through adding a probiotic or radically changing your diet, is going to cause gas, diarrhea, and other symptoms. Once the flora in your gut adapts to the changes, those symptoms will go away.

Just like how if someone drinks the tap water in Mexico for long enough, they stop getting Montezuma’s Revenge? I wonder if there’s probiotics in the water there. :speak_no_evil:

Mexico, Africa, India. All those places include healthy amount of extremely proactive probiotics.

“Probiotics are just bacteria, and can cause sepsis.” Can you cite a reference for this? I spend a lot of time reading probiotic research, and have never seen any instance of any commercially available probiotic causing sepsis. But I’m happy to be educated if you’ve seen something.

“Once the flora in your gut adapts to the changes, those symptoms will go away.” Well, yes and no. It may not go away for a long, long time, without the addition of probiotics, either from food or supplements.

I cited a reference in my original post… here’s another http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2620876/

OK, so if a person has gas, diarrhea, and other symptoms because they take a probiotic, those symptoms may not go away for a long, long time unless they take a probiotic.

Has this thread gone full circle yet?

Really. You’ve got to be kidding. Or just a Soylent fanboy. I have been in and around the supplement business for 40 years. I have never heard of problems from probiotics. Not to say there can’t be some. But I have read hundreds of studies using probiotics to help digestive issues. I’ve heard of maybe one or two instances of people having negative reactions to probiotics. In 40 years. Certainly, there are plenty of instances where probiotics, for reasons of individual biology, or poor probiotics, have been ineffective. But I’ve heard, read, and known of may more instances where they’ve helped. And dozens of instances in this specific situation where they have relieved the problems with gas.

They can have dangerous side effects for certain people.