Mercury in Fish Oil

While I understand the benefits of the Fish Oil in the Soylent product, I wonder if the company or any users have anything to say on what is known of the mercury content of the Soylent Fish Oil.
Has it been tested?
Who did the test(s)?
What were the numbers?
From what kind(s) of fish is the oil derived?
…that kind of stuff.

I read that fish oil supplements tend to have about as much mercury in them as the average person (by mass, I’m pretty sure_:)), and so are considered at least as safe for everyone compared to eating your neighbors. However, I doubt the Soylent fish oil is a “supplement” (or is it?) like in the pills.

I’ve no real problem eating fish, but I’ve never considered doing it every day like I may with Soylent.

That’s actually a legitimate question. I have a friend who just had to detox hardcore from eating too much fish (eating it a couple times a week). Seeing the crazy health changes in her makes me inclined to wonder this myself.

Valid question it seems… Really they ought to make a complete breakdown of everything in Soylent… Like how much Lead, Bromime or Mercury is in Soylent? :slight_smile: everything is relevant… Not just the nutritional facts

Anyone … anyone … Bueller…

I’ve always heard that the process of distilling oil from fish eliminates any mercury contamination. Plus mercury doesn’t really bond to lipids in the first place, it gets into proteins.

What you should be asking about is dioxin levels. That stuff is fat soluble. (And after reading Neal Stephenson’s Zodiac I’m totally squicked out by it.)

You are right. Also, you don’t have to worry as much about mercury in fish from fish oil pills, as the fish oil usually comes from an oily fish. The most widely used fish are anchovies, since they have the most oil per oz of fish. They are pretty low in the food chain, and thus they have less mercury. Mercury builds up as fish eat fish that eat fish that eat fish. Eating the forage fish you’ll get the most amount of fish oil with the least amount of mercury, since the fish get their oils from algae.

Also, I’ll go ahead and quote wikipedia on this:

While a serving of fish may contain anywhere from 10 to 1,000 ppb of mercury,[63] fish oil supplements have not been found to contain similar mercury levels. Reasons for this are 1) smaller fish are typically used in making fish oil supplements and they tend to be lower on the food chain and contain less mercury; 2) mercury binds to protein (such as in fish meat) and not to oil; and 3) mercury may be reduced or removed during the processing of fish oil. (most fish oils are distilled)

Do fish oil supplements contain mercury

Found this article.

Interestingly, analyses of several nonprescription fish oil supplements for the presence of mercury found that of all the brands tested, none of them contained mercury and may even be safer than eating fish.

But, it says that because supplements aren’t tested like regular food or medicine,

Unless the manufacturer of a nonprescription fish oil supplement has the USP Verified (United States Pharmacopeia) mark on its label and/or has been tested, clinicians cannot be confident that no environmental toxins (especially methyl-mercury) are present.

USP Verified Dietary Supplements

I hope then the fish oil in soylent is from those sources/usp verified.

If your truly worried about the potential contamination of the oil blend supplied with your Soylent then make your own from a sours you trust. I personally like Nordic Naturals. If their site is to be believed they remove ALL the bad stuff.

We can make anything we want, but there is no harm in hoping for it from them…someday i would want to try the original soylent not just my DIY version. Its like saying…hate GMO food? Grow your own food.(for lack of a better example to compare)

:smile: sometimes I feel like telling the anti-GMO people that. :smiley:

Good thing you didnt :slight_smile:

Soylent’s fish oil is from Iceland. Could be the same company.