Milk as base instead of water

I can think of many reasons why someone would decide not to use milk as base for soylent, but personally I have no problems with milk. I like the taste, I digest it well, and I’ve been drinking it all my life. For my first soylent, I think I’ll use 1L of milk as a base. When I looked up the nutrients in milk, I found some interesting information.

1L of (whole) milk contains:32 gram of fat, 31 grams of protein and 51
gram of carbs.

Minerals: Calcium 1103mg (110%), Magnesium 97.6mg (24%), Phosphorus
888mg (89%), Potassium 1396mg (40%), Sodium 390mg (16%), Zinc 3.9mg
(26%), Selenium 36.1mcg (52%), Molybdenum 50 µg (111%)

Water-soluble Vitamins: B1 0.4mg (29%), B2 1.8mg (105%), B3 1.0mg
(5%), Choline B4 140mg (25%), B5 3.5mg (35%), B6 0.4mg (18%), Folate
B9 48.8mcg (12%), B12 4.3mcg (72%)

Some people may be afraid of the fat profile of (whole) milk, but
personally I think that especially grass fed whole milk has a really
good fat profile. Grass fed milk contains a perfect 1:1 omega 3:omega
6 ratio and it contains conjugated linoleic acid.

I especially like the fact that I don’t need to add phosphorus and calcium if I use milk as base. And 31 gram of protein and 32 gram of fat would save some money.

Milk as soylent medium?
Is Soylent too high in fat?

Yeah, I wonder what are peoples’ problem with milk (beside tolerance) and why has water been used from the beginning and no one has really suggested alternatives?

The main reason for milk not being used to start with is that soylents main goal according to rob is that anyone can consume it without having to wonder if its going to trigger an allergic reaction etc. but ofc you can add milk instead of water if you wish.

There are some studies lately proving that a animal milk in a human’s diet has a negative effect on health. Some claim it changes the pH so micronutrients get lost instead of absorbed. Sorry that I can’t link it but it is definitely there.

@Nicklbak Well, I’m interested, but you don’t convince me without any reference. You know there are thousands of claims on the internet. Some claim that carbs changes the pH so micronutrients get lost instead of absorbed. Some claim carbs are a health miracle. Some say saturated fats are healthy, one says they are toxic. And yes, I’ve read many (scientific) articles about why animal milk could be bad, but none have convinced me.

Something Rob also wanted to have was a food that wouldn’t spoil easily, especially in the areas of the world that have limited resources to refrigeration. Milk absolutely requires refrigeration and, even then, spoils fairly quickly. That, plus those of us who are lactose-intolerant (or out-right allergic), would have serious issues with it.

I use powdered milk as a cost thing (whole milk is a fortune here). Milk doesn’t have to require refrigeration. As a bonus, I get milk fortified with extra vitamins and minerals for about the same price as regular powdered milk.

I’m swapping over to milk as a base for mine, it actually works out cheaper than water (a sentence I never thought possible). Using 2l of milk as a base fully replaces my entire carb intake, a large section of my fat, some of my protein and all of my vitamin D, calcium, potassium and sulphur, bringing the daily cost from £3.23 to £2.99.

Another option to take care of the allergy problem is goat milk. It is more expensive than cow milk at the store but it is far better for you and good for people who are lactose intolerant. I know as soon as I graduate I am getting either 3 Nubians or 3 dwarfs. Making cheese with the excess.

Milk’s problems are, to name a few:

1. Storage conditions
  2. Portability (you can get water at your destination)
  3. Variability in nutrients, and even potential antinutrients from some animal feeds, that Soylent seeks to cut out
  4. The lactose intolerant ones (and generally the inclusion of non-essential lactose)
  5. Saturated fat.

Generally, I don’t know why it would be a good idea - from as much as I can see, anything used to feed newborns is at least bad for your cardiovascular system, if not more.

Powdered goats milk?

I use 800ml whole milk, and it’s roughly replaced the nutrients I would otherwise get flour (oat, coconut, etc). In addition to the usual maltodextrin, oils and supplements, I also add 40g of cocoa powder. Soylent’s natural sweetness, cocoa powder and milk, and this is one tasty milkshake. Also means I don’t have to worry about the Phytic Acid issue. I know common conception in non-US countries is that only children/babies drink milk, so I can understand the hesitance.

It does present portability problems for me, and I’m creating a second recipe that only requires water, for the days when I know I can’t feasibly use milk.

WOW!

However, some of the advantages of regular powdered milk are that you know exactly the composition of it, down to the microelements, and it is dirt cheap due to global adoption. I doubt we will be able to say any of those about goat milk any time soon, simply because of the scale.

You are right as far as price. Certainly takes care of the lactose problem. I think the goat milk benefits outweighs the price.

Milk Comparison

Goat Milk benefits

More goat milk benefits

1. Solved by using powdered milk.
  2. Ditto.
  3. Fair point.
  4. Fair point if you are intolerant, irrelevant otherwise.
  5. That saturated fat is unhealthy is a lie. Even if not, you can use fat-free milk.

For me powdered milk is a cost-effective source of some nutrients, mainly phosphorus and potassium, alongside with some quality protein.

Milk is dangerous!
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-PQCCiw_Zs