Mineral content in water

I recently moved to a new house and one thing I’ve noticed is that the water tastes incredibly different than the water at my old house. This got me thinking about water in general. Everytime we drink water it’s not just water, there is mineral deposits in them from wells and pipes as well as chemicals in city water. How does this play a role into nutrition and will drinking soylent affect that as well? Will I ever get an overdose of something simply because it’s in the water supply? And does the flavor of the minerals in the water affect the flavor of soylent?

We have a very high mineral content especially calcium and magnesium. My first batch of beta Soylent was mixed with tap water and it defiantly had an unpleasant effect on the taste. I switched to using Reverse Osmosis (RO) since I have an unlimited supply available. It made a big difference in taste. As for getting too much of some minerals…normally you would eliminate any excess if you have normal kidney function.

My city’s water is very hard, according to Wikipedia.

What is the hardness of Riverton City Water?
600-700 PPM
500-700 mg. Per Liter
32 Grains

We have an RO unit, so I mix my Soylent with that. I don’t mind the taste of the hard water on it’s own, but I’ve gotten in the habit of using the RO water for cooking and when adding fluids to vehicles. In Riverton, you’re lucky if your 10 year water heater lasts 8 years.

Link to Riverton’s water quality report. [PDF]

I have very hard water here (not because of the city water supply, that’s fine, but my condo complex is old and the building pipes are bad). Even filtered (though I don’t have full RO or anything), it’s still noticeable. Part of why I started doing 4 cups milk/2 cups water for DIY base. (Feels funny to call it “DIY” when I wasn’t actually the one who “did” it… hm.)

If you’ve got city/county water, you can usually get a detailed report of the water quality and contents. Even if you have bad pipes, typically the nutritional mineral content is so low that it wouldn’t affect anything.

Here’s the water contents here:
Ingredient g/L
Copper 0.000089
Fluoride 0.00081
Lead 0.0000039
Nitrate 0.00022
Chlorine 0.0024
Trihalomethane 0.0000636
Haloacetic Acid 0.0000362

If you don’t have city water or a report available you can use a testing company like:

Ward Labs

This one is used by a lot of home-brewer’s to check the quality/profile of their water.

I had a friend who got cooper poisoning from the pipes in her house; it went undiagnosed for several months because of friends who expressed sentiments such as yours (it was only when her hair started falling out in mass quantities for no other apparent reason that a doctor persuaded her to get herself and the pipes checked). So while your statement may be true for many people, if someone has reasonable doubts about their own residence then it’s advisable to check and be sure.

Absolutely! There’s always outlying cases.