Missing Cholesterol

No but I’d expect him to be informed on them.

Don’t get me wrong I love soylent, I’m just wondering how responsible it is to limit cholesterol entirely.

Millions of happy healthy vegans since 1806.

You need sources that the body makes cholesterol? Ok, here you go, but a simple Google search will give you thousands of results.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/AboutCholesterol/About-Cholesterol_UCM_001220_Article.jsp

Now, please provide sources for this:

You have been asked several times but not yet produced any sources.

It was pretty sparce before the twentieth century. Wikipedia seems to list vegans individual by individual.

Your point?

But you do in fact have information and evidence now, either way, and are choosing to, what, ignore it? I’m a little lost.

Research the Jain. You are coming off very ignorant.

Vegans aren’t exactly known for their health… it can actually be quite unhealthy without the right supplements… (not to the point of death ofc)… Soylent doesn’t have the same problem is a traditional vegan diet has had in the past, since it contains everything we need (as far as we know)

But for the sake of this topics argument, lack of cholesterol in the diet has to my knowledge not been linked to anything negative…I don’t see any reason to add it unless it is suddenly proven to be essential for good health… It is one of those things that if OP is convinced the needs to get cholesterol in his diet… he can choose to supplement it himself.

AFAIK that is an upper limit; there is no specified minimum value (as it is zero). If you provided a link or citation that would help prove your case.

Our bodies produce cholesterol, so I don’t understand your argument here. Even if we don’t ever eat cholesterol, our bodies will still create and utilize it. You seem to be confusing dietary cholesterol and blood serum cholesterol. As a layman, my understanding is that our body produces cholesterol from fats, not from dietary cholesterol.

Testosterone levels correlate positively with HDL cholesterol levels in men with Type 2 diabetes

From the title alone I can tell you this does not apply to the general population. I’d also note that correlation does not prove causation and as the last sentence says: “Further clinical trials of testosterone replacement therapy in men with type 2 diabetes are warranted.”

From your link:

A diet low in saturated fat may help reduce LDL “bad” cholesterol. Regular exercise may be helpful in boosting HDL “good” cholesterol.

This doesn’t seem to say anything about dietary cholesterol.

Evidence has been presented by @horsfield if you’d like to scroll up. As I implied in my first post, it’s common knowledge that the body produces cholesterol. You claim that dietary cholesterol is necessary but you refuse to provide any evidence that it is. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

This is a belief you hold for whatever reason, but your belief does not constitute persuasive evidence (at least to me). I’m sure Rosa Labs has a higher standard for evidence than I do. If you feel you are forced to buy and consume a ton of eggs to offset this, my advice to you is to reexamine your beliefs, continue on your present course, or perhaps purchase or produce a DIY that contains cholesterol.

Several points now:
A) Global trade and nutritional sciences are what allows healthy veganism.

B) If you eat a vegan diet you wil have trouble transitioning back to a non vegan diet if you ever need to.

C) Soylent should be focused on providing a nutritionally complete diet including all the cholestoral recomended by the FDA

@battletankbob

I do have information and evidence that Vegans existed in the past, not that they were healthy, which would be unlikely as in that era even those not limiting thier diet were often malnurished.

@SoylentTaker4

I really don’t have any sources for that. I heard it somewhere on cracked or something and that’s not something I would give as a source. Consider instead the sourced points that correlate low HDL cholestoral and Alzheimer’s instead.

I don’t think Cracked is something anyone would give as a source.

I’m not sure your point, I’m still lost. You also have information vegans exist now in a modern era with better medical and nutritional science for everyone, not just vegans, as you said. And the information and evidence shows that vegans today who do not get additional cholesterol in their diets are just fine, happy, and healthy. If I may interest you in an article from a quick Google search: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/vegan-strongman-patrik-babaoumain-breaks-world-record/ .

I’m confused, but it seems you’re, like, refusing to acknowledge some of the information provided and it’s honestly perplexing me.

Yes, as it is a humor website that would be understandable. I really didn’t expect this amount of kick back or I would have taken the time to find a better source.

My main question has always been “Why aren’t we getting any of this if we got some of it in nature?”

At the very least we are risking atrophing our body’s ability to digest it and developing a dependence on soylent, at most we are losing something we needed to stave off dementia and maintain hormonal balance.

I would think that the risk of discluding it counter balances the reward.

I will like to add, that a quick google search tells me that some cholesterol from the diet is recommend by some heart health associations and there is a RDI of 200-300 mg apparently, with one site saying that 20% of our cholesterol comes form the diet… I think @MentalNomad should chip in on this talk and clear up the confusion and there is conflicting data.

I have a source that contradicts your hearsay. From the IOM:

Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids
The report doesn’t set maximum levels for saturated fat, cholesterol, or trans fatty acids, as increased risk exists at levels above zero, however the recommendation is to eat as little as possible while consuming a diet adequate in important other essential nutrients

From the FDA:

Trans Fat Now Listed With Saturated Fat and Cholesterol
Saturated and trans fats raise LDL (or “bad”) cholesterol levels in the blood, thereby increasing the risk of heart disease. Dietary cholesterol also contributes to heart disease. Unsaturated fats, such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated, do not raise LDL cholesterol and are beneficial when consumed in moderation. Therefore, it is advisable to choose foods low in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol as part of a healthful diet.
[…]
Look at the highlighted items on the sample labels below. Combine the grams (g) of saturated fat and trans fat and look for the lowest combined amount. Also, look for the lowest percent (%) Daily Value for cholesterol. Check all three nutrients to make the best choice for a healthful diet.

I see nothing to suggest that the recommended values are anything but maximums from either the IOM or the FDA.

Why does that matter? Do you mean in like an emergency situation when someone was forced to eat non-vegan foods? That is the only thing I can think of that would make someone “need to” not eat a vegan diet.

That could be said of any diet. If someone never ate bugs & roots, but was forced to do so because of an emergency (apocalyptic?) situation, their body would have a tough time adjusting. (Or any food that they did not normally eat…then they would have a tough time adjusting.)

Well, not everything found in nature is inherently good or healthy for us to consume. Since our body produces cholesterol in amounts that we don’t need additional, from what research has seen so far, then there’s no need to have any more. But with meat it makes sense that as animals we make cholesterol that other animals would as well. By eating those other animals, just like if you ate other humans, you’d ingest additional cholesterol. Which isn’t necessary, apparently. I learned a thing today.

Not everything natural is great for us. Also, not everything natural is necessarily better than some things unnatural. It’s a case-by-case basis and in this case it seems cholesterol isn’t needed.

Soylent has saturated fats to raise our bad cholesterol, what it lacks is diatery cholesterol. A recomendation for foods “low in cholesterol” is an appeal to moderation, not abstinence.

1. That isn’t the correct context for the word atrophy.

2. We get radiation from the sun “in nature”. From what I hear, the sun is bad for us.

Again what’s your point? They still don’t get any cholesterol in their diet and they are still not dying from a cholesterol deficiency.

How much trouble? for how long? what kind of trouble?

They are. Show me an RDA from the FDA for cholesterol.

Or you could adopt a vegan diet made from normal foodstuffs.