Mixing Temperature

About two weeks ago I was able to try one day of Soylent v1.0, and I have to admit, I wasn’t a fan. I took the vegan bag and poured it in to warm water, then let that chill for the night. In the morning it tasted terrible and was ridiculously gritty, so I put some olive oil in it. Hours later the consistency improved but the taste was still pretty terrible. Further, I was getting gas even with little sips. I couldn’t see how I could make it another day, let alone replace my regular meals with Soylent.

My first week of grey market Soylent v1.0 has arrived and today is day 1 (my order for Soylent hasn’t arrived yet). Soylent 1.0 shaken (with blend balls) with coldish to room temperature tap and with oil mixed in immediately and stored overnight seems to store much better, has a smoother consistency, tastes better, and (so far) produces much less gas (none so far, and I’m not resorting to sipping as I had before). I know that everyone’s been saying this from the beginning but I guess my attempt to improve mix-ability really messed things up.

The More You Know

This week I’ll be experimenting with tap water, drinking water, distilled water, and Brita water to see if there are any benefits of more purified water on taste and grit. So many waters to choose from and such a subjective test.

That’s really cool information to know. I’d only ever used “cold” water from the tap (though filtered) and I add the oil midway through the mixing process. Sounds like temperature and timing could really play a big part! I wonder how many of the articles about Soylent, mixed it up in all the wrong conditions…

I have consistently used room temp RO water. Mainly because our tap water is very high in minerals especially calcium and magnesium… When I visited Rosa Labs in April we used good ole LA tap water and it was fine.

I’ve seen other posts about fermentation causing other side effects (exploding in container). This could impact whether this is a solution to go camping with, or can be used in places without adequate cooling solutions. It was unpalatable when it was mixed warm (even if it was later cooled).

Last night I decided to use black tea since my green tea experiment worked out favorably. Well this morning I got into it after letting it sit overnight and I may be exaggerating a bit here, but it was a little slimy. I think the higher heat of black tea may have cooked the starch and and made it gel. The end result was a thicker beverage with a slightly gooey texture. Not quite as gooey as okra, but along the same lines. I can dilute it with more water and it isn’t so odd textured. But it was an interesting experience this morning.

So I will definitely be letting tea cool before mixing it with Soylent in the future. The more you know. :slight_smile:

so instead of water, you used all tea for the green or black?? interesting.

It ended up not being 100% tea, I only brewed 1000ml of tea, and I brewed it strong because I knew I would either be adding ice or more water to fill whatever remaining space in the pitcher after mixing up the power. But mostly tea. I

wanted to do this as a way to get some caffeine, as well as the benefits of tea. Several articles point out that the only beverage that may be better for you than water is tea since it is just water + benefits of tea, no real negatives except for possibly caffeine.

I found a great way to avoid grit, stuck-on chunks in the pitcher, and get cold Soylent instantly. Add ice cubes, just enough to cover the bottom. Add water to cover bottom. Add Soylent powder. Add ice cubes, just enough to cover the powder. Add the rest of the water (I leave about 2-3 inches of shake-room). Screw lid and shake. This has been the only way to avoid the pitcher from getting clumps stuck to it, and the Soylent is cold immediately.

That sounds like a good idea @Alon.

I think I’m going to do it with crushed ice and an immersion blender.

I wonder if the nano-coating materials coming to the market would be safe to coat the inside of a pitcher/thermos bottle – Soylent sure wouldn’t clump to the sides that way.

Oil wears out the nano-coating materials, and so does any contact/abrasion with them. They’re also not foodsafe, and are dangerous while working with them when wet. I’d rather not have any food touching those products.

I got my Soylent on Friday. I’ve been mixing it by putting all the powder into the pitcher and then adding a little less than 1 liter of RO water from a pitcher in the fridge. First I shake it to get it mostly mixed, then I use the immersion blender to mix it some more (with only 1 liter of water and the powder the level in the pitcher is still low enough that I can get the immersion blender all the way to the bottom of the pitcher without the motor being in the mix). Once it is well mixed I add the oil and then top off with either tap water or RO if there is enough left in the pitcher (I have well water so the tap water is still fairly cold). Then I use the immersion blender again to stir it all up well.

I tried it without the immersion blender the first time and found there were still little ‘chunks’. But after using the blender I don’t find any ‘chunks’ and don’t see anything stuck to the sides of the pitcher. It ends up a little silty, but not gritty

I despised the taste and texture upon first mixing, so tried the second time with coconut oil instead of the oil blend. It tasted better but the oil would harden once cold. I have since been mixing with hot tap water and immersion blender w/wisk attachment then letting cool over night. Running late for work one morning, I didn’t mix the night before, so I mixed it as normal and just placed in the fridge when I got to work. Since it was in a thermos (forgot about that part) it didn’t cool down much after a few hours. However, it tasted great!

So what’s the deal with using hot/warm water or drinking it warm? (As I’m enjoying a cup now) I’ve never been a fan of cold drinks anyway.