Monthly Food Cost

Having read several posts about the cost of Soylent and various people’s opinion on said cost, I am curious. What do people spend on food each month?

I would like to break this down by muggleness:

• Consume only muggle food.
  • Consume only Soylent, DIY or official.
  • Consume mostly Soylent with an occasional muggle meal (e.g. social meal)
  • Split meals, e.g. Soylent for breakfast and/or lunch and muggle food for dinner.

What do you spend on food per month?

Personally, I am mostly muggle food right now, but finding the right DIY recipe to go “mostly Soylent” which will be soon as I finally have the right recipe and ingredients in my house. I end up spending about $300/month on food not including nights I eat out. Based on the DIY recipe I have right now, this cost would be slightly lower if I were 100% Soylent.

When I was in in the USAF I had a $300/month BAS (food allowance, it has gone up since I was in) which blew through easily because I could, and I was working out six days a week. But I do not care about fitness or health, only money spent. Still, I find it intriguing that the U.S. government has obviously researched the cost to feed an adult for a month and pays for it.

Yet despite this amount, people complain that a lesser amount is too expensive. I want to understand this.

If you are from the U.S, please use dollars. Otherwise, convert to USD and give some indication of the relative cost of food so we can compare (please, no bananas).

I’m in Arizona (near enough to Phoenix) which, according to Wolfram Alpha, has a cost of living index of 95.96, with 100 being the US average.

I spend between $400-600/month on muggle food. This includes groceries, fast food, and restaurants. I sometimes pay for my roommates at restaurants (because I’m not on as strict a budget as they are), but I don’t think it’s enough to really skew the range.

I don’t typically look at the prices of things I’m putting in the cart at the grocery store if it’s something I want (like my favorite pizza), or a staple like bread, milk, or eggs. Things I haven’t had before will sometimes get compared to the Hot Pocket baseline of $0.25 per ounce. I go out to eat far too often for my financial or biological good. I’m sure if I were more careful that I could easily live off a monthly food budget of $300 or less. That’s not the reason I’m interested in Soylent, but it’ll certainly help.

100% muggle food for now, planning on going 80% Soylent or so.

I probably spend about 500+ a month on food. This is due to the fact that I don’t have the capacity to cook (no real kitchen access), and due to emotional instability plus a hostile relationship to food (latent eating disorder, yay). I tend to eat things purely because they taste nice. For example, last night I had two bags of Milano cookies for dinner; tonight I gorged on fried chicken.

It adds up, quickly, and oh god is it frustrating.

Somehow I’m actually still reasonably healthy—I’m on the low end of the healthy weight scale, my body composition is fine, diabetic risk factors all on the low side of things, excellent blood pressure and resting heart rate, etc.

So, for me, the prospect of cutting my food budget in half and alleviating the psychological stress of eating is a potentially life-changing improvement.

I’ve been going through a brief period of utter destitution since my ex left me, leaving me paying the 30% of the bills she was paying on top of everything else, so I’ve been living on about $200, which has seen my lose weight (could also be the exercise, but hey). So at the moment, even the cheap monthly subscription is out of my price range, but my diet is lacking and I’ve been picking up the slack with vitamins. As you can tell, I don’t eat out. I probably spend 80 bucks once a month, and then about 30-40 bucks a week after that

I do plan on switching to almost exclusively soylent if my budget allows sometime in the next few months, as it is cheaper than regular food, and I hate all the time I spend cooking all my meals single serving, plus it will allow me to watch my calorie intake without counting calories (which I have literally 0 interest in keeping track of). I’m also almost out of vitamins and the cost of rebuying my supply seems daunting.

The prospect of switching over is something I am seriously considering despite the cost for the multitude of benefits and simplicy, but it is a bit purchase to be making when I don’t know how it will turn out yet. It is a bit of a scary time for me.

Are vegetables expensive where you live? In here, 20 euros will get you a lot of veggies and bread. Protein is a bit more expensive; cheapest being chicken.

HA! Vegetables. i wish. I manage to squeeze in a block of frozen chopped spinach once a week, and a set of 6 banannas once every other week. The core of my diet is egg+cheese+tortilla combo, which alone runs me about 28 bucks. A pound of chicken which I splurge on about once a month sets me back about 8 dollars, which is difficult compared to the cheapness of eggs. Calorie for calorie, veggies are too expensive, and bread is too nutritionally empty.

I spend about $200 - $250 per month on food, buying whatever I want. Maybe 20% of my food goes bad before I eat it, so I buy mostly canned fruits and veggies to keep that as low as possible. I am a very small person so I think that might be why the money I spend is a bit less than average. I do live in Florida, which has no tax on food.

You’re on a pretty tight budget mate. So how much do vegetables cost there?

Copying and Pasting from my financial xls:

Nescafe Alta Rica 100G € 5.91
Kerrygold Spread Butter 250G € 2.94
Mushrooms (2 big ones) € 1.77
Broccoli (half plant) € 1.50
Auberinge (large one) € 0.58
Roasted Cashews, (250g) € 3.00
Almonds, (250g) € 3.00
MacDonalds Basic Meal € 6.45

When I convert that to us$ using he most recent exchange rate of about $1.39:1€ your butter is ~$4/half pound and your McDonald meal is around $9. The broccoli comes in at $2 but I don’t know what the weight of half a plant is and so can’t make a comparison. I can say that on sale we get broccoli for about $1/pound. When not on sale it’s double cost and we pick something else. The last fast food meal I bought 2weeks ago was a burger fries and drink for $6.49 with the small fries and drink.
Btw is that 1week for 1person?

No, those are random extracts from my expenses journal :slight_smile:

Yea, from what I’ve seen, food is more expensive here in the US, at least healthy food is. I don’t know any laws/regulation/taxes in any European countries, but it almost sounds like unhealthy food gets an additional tax to make healthy food cheaper.

I’m in WI, USA, and spend about 400-500USD a month, so Soylent’s 255 for 4 weeks posts a potential big savings. However I am a bigger guy and need more so I don’t know how much Soylent I’ll consume in a day, which may be offset if the cost of Soylent drops as the team desires.

How much do you guys feel food should cost? How much is too much?

As I said earlier, the U.S. military provides around $325/month to enlisted members. I spend around $300. A month subscription to Soylent costs $255.

Is that too much? If so, what is reasonable?

As a matter of principle, food should be affordable to everyone. In societies like the one I live in, the cost of essential food (bread/milk/vegetables/fruit/water) is factored in with other essential costs and constitutes the unemployed benefits payable to unemployed people. In this way, no one dies of hunger here. Since health care is free, no one dies of curable diseases too. Unfortunately some of the uneducated low class members spend this government grant on betting, cigarettes and alcohol instead of healthy food but that’s their decision…

From a global perspective, feeding an ever increasing amount of people will be a huge challenge, and this is where the idea of efficient food production can lead to a quantum leap in our ability to feed people.

ok so on muggle food my budget for the month (every 4 weaks thats how often i am paid) was $269.12 (im english thats £160)
($67 a week) and in english thats £40

now my diy soylent has a set-up cost of $302.04 (English £179.57)
this however translates in to a daily cost of $4.49 (English £2.67)
which is approximately $125.59 (or iin english £74.67)

so for me just over 50% cheaper which is HUGE thats £80 spending money XD a month

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

What’s muggle food?

Can we please keep the discussion in that thread, and not this one?

Those prices are crazy low. I buy food mostly by the pound, so broccoli I’m looking at 5 bucks, cashews 7, butter about 16 ounces for 9 bucks, a McDonald’s meal would run me $5 for a double quarter pounder with cheese and a coke.

I’m working on becoming a bit of a bodybuilder, so I figure something like switching to soylent and then adding a 200-400 calorie snack once a day plus additional protein will do the job.

Too make it competitive with the cheapest diets, I would say it has to reach about $5-7 a day, or about 150-210 a month. That price would make it competitive with my utter destitution diet. I’m trying to figure out a way to switch over anyways, but due to my financial situation I can’t afford to until the back orders are fulfilled and everything ships in a reasonable time. Otherwise I may spend weeks hungry waiting.