More Traditional Options

I know people don’t like Ensure, but what are the critiques of Vega, Herbalife, Shakeology, et al?

Most critiques about traditional options typically amount to lack of completeness & price, but I think it’s a bit exaggerated. I’ve been meaning to give Nestle’s Replete a try, as a friend of mine lives off that stuff.

Vega tries to replace a meal with a low amount of calories to nutrient ratio. Its not trying to be equal to a complete nutrition food. Its to add nutrition to a shake/smoothie that you make. Its like a vitamin shake base.

Supplemental Nutrition was the phrase I was looking for, that’s what Vega is.

Nestle also has Nutrament:

http://www.nutrament.com/

I think that’s not the case with the “Vega One” line, though.

Vega suggests to add VegaOne to 12oz of water, or add it in a shake, Vega suggests that VegaOne should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a well balanced diet.

Basically if you replace a meal with 42g of VegaOne, you are consuming 160 calories - much less than most people consume in a meal which equals a calorie deficit - leading to weight loss. The way my friend consumes VegaOne is, he prepares a huge salad which is about 100 calories, then supplements the salad with a serving of VegaOne in ice cold water.

Per 1 scoop (42 g)
Calories 160
Calories from Fat 50
Fat 6 g 9%
Saturated 1 g 4%
(+) Trans 0 g <1%
Polyunsaturated 3 g
Omega-6
Omega-3
Monounsaturated 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 25 mg 1%