Multi-Supplement Pills vs Individual Vitamin/Minerals

Do you prefer finding individual, raw ingredients or are some of you having luck with all-in-one daily multi-supplements?

I found a few tablets from my local pharmacy that cover most of what I am looking for: link

Interested to hear what your views are on this.

image![image]
(http://cdn1.iconfinder.com/data/icons/socialmediaicons_v120/32/skype.png) [
jcanuet@gmail.com ]
Soylent Scene[ Soylent Scene ]

I opted to use a multivitamin and a couple individual supplements. I tried crushing them and adding it to the soylent, but that was nasty. Ruined my day. So far the multivitamins are working well (since April 2). Also, It saves a lot of time since I don’t have to weight out a bunch of raw ingredients.
I use Opti-Men, Fish/Flax oil, and an iron supplement. Since this mix was still lacking sodium, potassium, and chlorine, low sodium salt does the trick - just have to dilute it in a lot of soylent or else it tastes too salty.
Since opitmen is 3 tablets/day I am able to gradually release the nutrients throughout the day rather than all at once.
Also - high doses of B complex vitamins make your pee bright highlighter yellow, that scared me at first. No worries though.

These are the brands that I’ve been using:

I got the idea from my sister to use tums as a calcium source. Cheap too.

Personally I think multivitamins defeat the purpose of saving money. You can’t separate the elements of it so you are over dosing (healthily) on some, and may get less then adequate on others. Plus breaking down a multivitamin changes the amount per serving, if you split it up for multiple drinks of separate days.

If you look at my [spreadsheet][1] you can see details on what each of these adds to the mix.
The MV gets me a little higher on manganese and molybdate then I was shooting for. I am still satisfied with it until I can find a better combination.

I break large pills into smaller sections and know that I am losing a small amount of powder with each break. To try and avoid throwing number off I mix the powder that falls off in the first batch with the broken piece.
For example, I break my selenium tablets in half and put one half and the powder into that day’s batch. I keep the other half around for tomorrow. I use this same method for all tablets.

As far as price…I don’t remember exactly what I spent on these five bottles, but I know I only broke a $20, and I am set for about 6 months.
[1]: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnZiiLkVB601dDF1VWExOHljak9YbmNDSzBhaExvZkE&usp=sharing

There’s an almost-perfect multivitamin powder called All One, which I’m using as part of my mix currently. It has more nutrients, and better amounts than most multivitamins – they even seem to be going by updated IOM recommendations rather than older FDA ones. With one major caveat: there’s way too much Vitamin A and E, at levels which research now indicates is probably harmful.

So I’m only using a few grams of it per day, along with a more conventional multivitamin tablet (Kirkland). The combination works out pretty well, and gives me a lot of extra B vitamins.

Do you have a link to the powder MV?
How much vitamin A and E does it have, and how much do you think is the upper limit for daily intake?

I’ve been using this liquid formulation for the vitamins; liquid is easy. For minerals, I’ve been crushing up these, which I had lying around. Together, they cover everything you’d expect them to except choline, vitamin K, selenium, and molybdenum (available as liquid); you’ll also still have to get potassium, sodium, chloride, and phosphorus elsewhere.

Liquid supplements sound really convenient. Right now I use a coffee grinder to pulverize the tablets with about 5g of table salt to make a fine powder for my mix.
Still haven’t gotten myself a good potassium or vitamin A source.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/All-One-Multiple-Vitamins-2-2-Pound/dp/B000GAP9FK/

I believe it has 15,000 IU of A and 400 IU of E. To summarize lots of reading, I think A and E are ones you want to stay pretty close to the official recommendations.

I see…Nice find either way!

Yes, vitamin A is something you want to worry about, but the supplement you point to has Beta Carotene, which is a vitamin A precursor (aka provitamin A), namely something that your body converts to A. As Wikipedia puts it, “β-Carotene, a precursor form of vitamin A typical of vegetable sources such as carrots, is selectively converted into retinoids, so it does not cause hypervitaminosis A; however, overconsumption can cause carotenosis, a benign condition in which the skin turns orange. The proportion of carotenoids absorbed decreases as dietary intake increases.” In short, you’d have to consume excessive amounts of Beta-Carotene to overdose, and it’d just cause your skin to become orange.

The same wikipedia article, though, does warn of excessive consumption of synthetic Beta-Carotene. If we’re going to use supplements, I think it’d be preferable to get our vitamin A as preformed vitamin A, which I believe only come from animal sources. The NIH’s dietary reference on vitamins ([http://ods.od.nih.gov/Health_Information/Dietary_Reference_Intakes.aspx]) says “Beta-carotene supplements are advised only to serve as a provitamin A source for individuals at risk of vitamin A deficiency.”

Wondering if anyone else has found a supplement that matches closer to the RDA?

I really, really like that idea @jcan! I hadn’t thought of using something like that before.