Mung Beans as a viable source for Protein, Carbs, Fiber, etc?

I haven’t seen any mention of Mung Beans as a potential ingredient for DIY Soylent, but came across nutrition data for them both raw or boiled and was surprised by the numbers. About 70% carbs, 25% protein, with some good amounts of various vitamins and minerals that can often be hard to get.

The main challenge I see is figuring out how to get them into a good form for soylent. Grind the dry beans into flour? Boil and mash into a gruel then water down? Other than convenience, I’m not seeing any reason not to try them in a soylent recipe. They are also pretty cheap. Less than $20 for 5 pounds on amazon, and today I actually ran across a bin of them in the bulk foods section of a local grocery store… $2.20 per pound.

That is very interesting. As far as a pure numbers game ignore that i know nothing of mung beans and that whey is probably a better protein source, i found the following:
Using mung beans as the primary carb on People chow there was enough protein to eliminate Whey entirely, With Mung only at 345 g.
Raised Mung to 408 to meet carbs. Only things going over are flolate and Niacin. Niacin always goes over when you also have GNC, but it usually is nothing to worry about as GNC uses Niacinamide/Niacin combo.
raised oil to 60 g to meet calories.
I love that Mung is high in Omega 3 and low in Omega 6. If you were to use a different oil other than Soybean you would be looking at a much better ratio of omega 3 to 6.
Mung might be good for those looking for a low carb soylent or a higher protein soylent.

Now that the numbers are pretty…How does it taste, how does it mix, and what is the bioavalaibility like in the raw mung beans?

Bioavailability is a big question that I’m not sure how to answer. After an initial experiment, I’d say it’s probably better than I feared. Grinding up dry mung beans I was concerned that some of the dry granular bits might not be easily digestible. Once mixed with liquid though, they quickly become soft. Obviously the better you can grind it, the better it will be for texture, etc. I just used a cheap blade coffee grinder, so it was more granular and less fine powdery “flour” than I’d like.

As for taste, it is surprisingly “green” tasting. Like snap peas or string beans fresh off the vine. Not entirely unpleasant, but a little strange for “breakfast”. I try to avoid adding sweeteners, but felt it was necessary in this case, but didn’t take much to balance it out. So I think it would be an easy flavor to mask. I’ve seen various meal recipes with mung bean that use coconut milk or other simple flavors, might be worth a shot. I’m also considering pre-soaking the beans, or the ground powder to possibly mash the graininess out of it and improve texure. Still, it was less gritty than I expected.

I only did 200g Mung, with Oat Flour and Flax Meal. 400 Mung might be less gritty once it soaks up water, but the flavor might get overwhelming.
My mix is low on Niacin though, only over on Folate, but it’s not Folic Acid that the UL is meant for, all “Food Folate” so nothing to worry about. Potassium, Magnesium, and Thiamin content are also a plus, allowing to replace some supplements that are common in recipes.

Here’s my recipe I’m messing around with: Mung & Oats
Still have to work on some vitamins and minerals, not replacing all food with it anytime soon, will probably just be experimenting with it for breakfasts which I often skip, and some lunches where time crunch leads me to eat poorly.

I too would probably mix with oats and or masa. I need to go get some Mung beans, i have one of those bulk bin stores near by.

The egg…Do you put the raw egg in the mixe and drink it? How do you use the egg?

I like your K source, ive never seen Grass Juice powder before. i might try that.

I mostly started with things I had around. I actually ran out of Oat flour and had to substitute Oat Bran, still Bob’s Red Mill, mostly the same nutrient profile, but not as fine. Need to pick up some more Oat flour.

I decided to do the whole egg with my “breakfast” shake, rather than divide it with the rest of the liquid totals. I admit I was wary of drinking a raw egg. I know people do it, but I never have. I mixed it well with the oil then mixed that with the powder and added water until I had about a 16oz serving. It didn’t taste eggy or anything, wouldn’t even know it was there. Not sure how necessary it is, probably other ways to get the nutrients it provides, just an easy fat source for me, since I was low on fats to start with, and have struggled with wanting an Omega 3:6 ration between 1:1 and 1:2.5, hard to do while still hitting the 17g Omega 6 RDA.

I looked through various NOW Foods “suprefoods” to find some natural sources of vitamins and minerals. Originally started with Alfalfa powder, but it added Manganese which is already topped out by the Oats, and didn’t have the Beta-Carotene that the Grass Juice Powder has. I’d never seen it before, and actually haven’t received it yet. I’m wondering if it is going to push the overall flavor even more towards tasting like chewing on raw plant matter. But it is a good source of K, and adds a decent amount of A.