My 1 month lab results, problematic

I’ve been using soylent for over a month and a half now, I used the lab discount offered here at the start and the second labs were ordered by my doctor (who is very unhappy). I used soylent for morning and lunch almost exclusively and I usually had a regular dinner and that transitioned to soylent exclusevily as my body adopted to liquid food.
It looks like this is affecting my liver, it is outside of normal range now and the “good” cholesterol was reduced. Triglycerides also jumped up from 94 to 143 which is almost borderline level, I guess its from the hemp/olive oils but I only consume 16ml of them total per serving.
Thoughts on what could be causing the liver damage? (sorry about formating, cant paste properly)
Alkaline Phosphatase, S 110 44-102 IU/L
AST (SGOT) 24 0-40 IU/L
ALT (SGPT) 52 0-44 IU/L

My recipie:
http://www.makesoylent.com/recipes/davids-pbfree-1500-calorie-soylent

SECOND TEST

INITIAL TEST 8/12/13

Soylent and VERY high cholesterol?

Previously, someone else had posted their results (in an article, I believe) and also indicated liver damage.
I’m not sure why this would happen, but it’s interesting to note that it’s not just you.
I’ll take a look at your recipe and see if I can tell you more.

You don’t have any iron and you are way over on almost every nutrient, B vitamins especially. Try to stick closer to the RDAs.

If this is not the cause, then your problem likely lies in the specific content of one of these substances. I’ll look into each of them later today and let you know what I learn.

You can scan or photograph both result sheets, black out identifying information, post the digital files (e.g., https://duckduckgo.com/?q=image+sharing), and link to that. It would be a little more trouble, but a lot more readable.

I just found this:

Liver
According to MedlinePlus, numerous reports demonstrate that high levels of niacin can lead to liver toxicity. Elevated amounts of niacin are linked to increased blood liver enzymes, jaundice or skin yellowing and higher levels of abdominal fluid. Niacin overdoses may even result in severe liver damage or liver failure.

read full article here.

Your recipe is way over the maximum. Could this be the problem?

Your nutrition information on makesoylent seems to be missing a lot of values for things like Oat Flour and Olive Oil. (For example, the USDA indicates that your quantity of Oat Flour has another .9mg Niacin that isn’t accounted for in your recipe.)

Consider doing a verification on your nutrients against the USDA database. You can look at my recipe on makesoylent and look at my nutrient justifications on my blog as a starting point. Ultimately, I’ve chosen to validate most ingredients against the USDA Database

So how can I adjust that recipe to lower niacin?
Also, why would the “good” cholesterol levels go down, I thought olive and hemp oils were healthy and are supposed to increase it.

I just noticed that this is where most of niacin is coming from 250%: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UEH7CC?tag=19-82341-20

If its so damaging why would this company put so much into the pill?

@Nom, if I were you I would try and write out a typical few days’ diet from before Soylent. Whatever a typical few days of food would have been.
Analyse it for nutrients etc., and compare to see what the biggest differences between that and your Soylent are. Those are the things most likely to be causing nutritional issues. I believe some people recommend http://www.myfitnesspal.com for tracking meals, it might work for this. I haven’t used it.

As for reducing Niacin, look for a different multivitamin. You should be able to find some in supermarkets.

If the only fats you’re using are hemp seed and olive oil, there’s no good saturated fat in your diet which could contribute to the lower good cholesterol numbers. A lot of people are still scared of saturated fat, but there has been a TON of new information that’s come out the last five years about what a scam that fear mongering has been, how it all started, and why saturated fat is necessary.

This guy is pretty up on his info. No, it’s not a journal article, but he links to a lot of them. It’s just an easy read about the connection between saturated fat and cholesterol.

I’ve been wondering the same thing about the Alive Brand. Even after cutting it, the B6 levels in my recipe are really high, as well as niacin. As far as I was aware, they’re a pretty popular brand. Taking into account the fact that the people those vitamins are consumed by are people actually eating food, I don’t understand how the levels could be so high and not be causing damage. I’m going to switch brands.

I doubt that the liver damage (if that is actually what the triglyceride numbers represent) is due to niacin. The only way I can see this being the case is if you are predisposed to liver problems. Though Livestrong.com does mention the many possible complications of niacin overdose, the article in question does not mention what such a dose is. However, other articles do.

"Consuming large doses – 3 g or more daily – of niacin may damage the liver and has been reported in 2 to 3 percent of individuals, according to Drugs.com. Individuals with a history of liver disease, alcohol abuse and sulfonylurea use may be at an increased risk of liver damage from niacin use. Persistent fatigue, weight loss and nausea may be indicators of liver toxicity."
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/320113-side-effects-of-niacin-500-mg/#ixzz2fMGyVBZK

I looked at your multivitamin and saw that the type of niacin there is niacinamide, usually considered a less potent form than nicotinic acid. If I was looking at the right vitamin your niacin intake from that source is 125 mg. This should not cause any problems. Over the counter niacin supplements are used to treat pellagra, cholesterol levels, boost HGH and improve sleep. These supplements usually contain 500mg of niacin in the form of niconitic acid.

Further information on niacinamide:
“Niacinamide side effects may include dizziness, stomach upset, nausea, gas, jaundice, vomiting, mouth pain, gout, irregular heartbeat, vision loss, ulcers, liver toxicity and a decrease in insulin sensitivity, especially at doses above 2 to 3 g per day.”

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446862-the-toxicity-of-niacinamide/#ixzz2fMJgCdJ2

And once again, niacinamide is less potent than nicotinic acid:
"Supplemental niacin in the form of nicotinic acid at doses of 500 to 1000 mg or higher has pharmacological benefit but with the risk of side effects."
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/443080-how-much-niacin-can-be-safely-taken-daily/#ixzz2fMLy7jUT

In short, your niacin intake should not be problematic. Even the amounts found in most B-complex vitamins are plenty safe for almost everyone. Unless you are taking 500+ mg per day, you seem safely below the threshold of liver issues. I believe you must look elsewhere in your formula to find the issue.

Are you also factoring into your recipe what you are eating for dinner every night?

I’ve been using a modified version of that recipe (I’m the author of the one that is referenced, and I based it on BigEpidemic’s Human Enhancement Serum). Here’s the one I’m using now: http://www.makesoylent.com/recipes/low-carb-1500-calorie-soylent-w-pb

Personally I don’t see how the slightly higher than RDA Niacin could be a problem unless you have a real sensitivity to it (best to ask your doctor). In addition to what is in the Soylent recipe, I take Niacin for my high cholesterol (1000mg / day) and have no ill effects (I regularly check my liver function, etc.) Seems like your HDL was on the low side in the beginning? I have found that my niacin supplements have increased my HDL and lowered my LDL (my HDL is over 50 and my LDL under 100). Best to ask a doctor or a nutritionist about your own situation.

First, the relevant values are LDL-P and HDL-P, or particle count, not the total amount (LDL-C and HDL-C).

What were the breakdown of macronutrients and fats of your prior diet? And for the normal meal you take alongside soylent? You don’t have much margin in the micronutrients for that meal.

As said, your saturated fats are low. Some studies linked higher intake of saturated fats with higher level of HDL. Omegas aren’t accounted for, but by the ingredients I see a high omega 6/3 ratio and no EPA/DHA.

On the niacin, here says:

Alcohol (Ethanol)
Niacin can cause flushing and itchiness. Consuming alcohol along with niacin might make the flushing and itching worse. There is also some concern that consuming alcohol with niacin might increase the chance of having liver damage.

The fructose in the brown sugar, having a similar metabolic pathway as ethanol, can be relevant. Remote possibility, I know, but anyway you should remove it from your recipe.

[quote=“Nom, post:6, topic:5347”]Also, why would the “good” cholesterol levels go down, I thought olive and hemp oils were healthy and are supposed to increase it.
[/quote]

You has been deluded. Be skeptical of absolutes like “Olive oil is hearth healthy”, or “Saturated fats are the devil”. Olive oil is better than the typical vegetable oils of a SAD diet, however.

Towards the end I was on soylent exclusively, if I did eat dinner it was only a salad or a sandwich, not a full blown dinner.

Yes, the main reason I started soylent was to improve my cholesterol. Although my LDL did levels drop I still can’t figure out how I can improve HDL? People here suggest an increase intake in saturated fat, so what should I do, mix in hamburger grease? :wink: I have another doctor app tomorrow so I’ll see what his recommendation will be.

I think I am going to stop this experiment and try again once my liver heals, but with a different vitamin supplement this time and a bi-weekly blood test.

The best ways to improve HDL are to

• Eat less
  • Eat more fiber

Do that and you should see serious improvement. I would also recommend eating garlic, broccoli and grapes regularly. I don’t really want to go through the process of elaborating on this just trust me.

What is your BMI right now?

I think I’ve been eating plenty of fiber, and since I only had soylent I dont think I can eat any less :slight_smile: I’ve had 100% as per the recipe and I additionally had a teaspoon of psyllium husk with each serving as a emulsifier. My BMI is 26 but it doesn’t apply to me as I am an ex body builder, BMI was invented in 1830, someone should REALLY update it :wink:

Oh and as for garlic, I eat this almost on daily basis: http://www.amazon.com/Garlic-Cloves-Marinated-Cracovia-190g/dp/B000LRKQ2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379640443&sr=8-1&keywords=cracovia+marinated+garlic

I got nothing.
As for BMI it’s great for population-wide studies it’s just not accurate at the personal level. Also, having more muscle mass may make you healthier than someone at the same weight with more fat, but you’re still likely to live longer if you thin down to about a 22 BMI. I doubt that has anything to do with your HDL though.

Are you sure?

Coconut oil, and coconut products have saturated fats in them.