My Dear Soylentologists

Lol.

Time to design up a weird hat then?

1 Like

Wall Street Journal picked up the ft.com cult story:
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2015/08/18/train-reading-well-cults-are-generally-bad-for-your-health/

2 Likes

Heretic! 1.5 is still the true master of all!

1 Like

Way to bury the lede! They picked up this thread too:

• Soylent is a dangerous cult – Izabella Kaminska, via FT Alphaville
  • Haha, we’re a cult – Soylent message board
3 Likes

Hey - my link made the Wall Street Journal! I’m famous!

Hey, Paul Vigna, for the record, I had a great hamburger last night, but it wasn’t from In-and-Out.

5 Likes

In that case I think I should post the official Soylent response to these ridiculous allegations just in case people actually go from the Times article to this thread.

3 Likes

Do we have an official response to the cult allegations, too?

3 Likes

That article is terribad, but there are some here who DO have a serious cult mentality.

1 Like

We haven’t been very good at reaping the benefits of our cultitude. We don’t even have distinctive regalia, rites, or secret handshakes yet. Who wants to take the initiative of getting this cult up and running properly? I’ve never been in a cult before, but I’ve heard they can be a lot of fun!

7 Likes

First we need to purge the forums of Non-Rhinehart Soylent Eaters–or ‘heretics’ as I call them. :joy:

3 Likes

So that does mean we search out the pretenders (non 100% Soylent users) and castigate them from our ranks as dallying with the heathens and not being pure? How do we find them out for sure if they don’t confess here? We should form a group of inquiry, and inquisition if you will, to ferret out these unclean from our ranks.

3 Likes

Done and done. Grand Inquisitor votes needed. haha

1 Like

Thanks… I think. (This has to be one of the most ridiculous articles I’ve seen, which is saying something.)

3 Likes

The persecuted FreeZoners.

1 Like

Simple. We weigh them. If they weigh the same as a duck we know they are made of wood and therefore are a heretic of the first church of Soylent.

8 Likes

Due to your vast scientific knowledge I dub you Sir Bedivere, Knight of the Round Table.

4 Likes

Woo-hoo! I’ll slip by unnoticed until my 2.0 arrives.

So, who’s working on the chanting? We really need some good chants to go with our funny hats.

3 Likes

I think this whole tongue-in-cheek approach to Soylent is fun. We really should have some graphic t-shirts. Something with simple symbols, the way a restroom is marked. Maybe a stick man symbol drinking from a cup with a bite out of his side and the eerie message “We are Soylent” or “One of Us”

4 Likes

Looking at things objectively, when the word cult is used it usually implies religion. If we use the non-religious aspects of a cult, though, Soylent followers basically are a cult. Here’s a definition I found: a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

I’m looking at the “excessive” over the “misplaced” part of that definition. Many followers are so blinded by their “excessive admiration” that they can’t even admit taking away bulk discount is effectively raising the price on those who buy bulk. Others try to explain a price hike away by saying that a raise now in price is to lower the price later, and this is stated with no evidence of even logic behind the thinking. These are the kinds of things you would expect from people who are excessive followers that rarely (if ever) criticize Soylent, Rosa Labs, or Rob for anything.

So where do I fall? I used to consume Soylent over 50%. I bought the 28 bags per month. Due to what I consider deceptive tactics, lies, etc. I have recently boycotted Soylent. So does my boycott mean I go from the cult to the pretenders? Was I ever in the cult due to my actions of criticizing Soylent and Rosa Labs about some things? I’ll leave that up to you guys to decide, but I maintain that the best way to help Rosa Labs and Soylent out is by holding them accountable for the promises they make and actions they take.

We could have a Soylent Speakeasy. An underground gathering where our kind can be free to be who we are inside (mostly potato and rice starch).

3 Likes