My DIY Soylent seems too watery

I’m using this recipe to make my own Soylent. I’m putting one cup of mix into a 28oz Blender Bottle and then filling it up with water and it makes a very watery drink. Am I just using too much water or is this the way it is supposed to be? Should I keep it in the fridge for some amount of time before drinking?

I think the normal recommendation is 1.5 liters to a day’s worth. 28oz is about 750ml, so that does seem to be too much water. How much is “one cup of mix”?

i use about 75-80g of diy powder mixed with 500ml (small poland spring bottle) of water…hope that helps.

Other than being watery, how do you find it? does it taste good? does it leave you satiated? How’s your energy level, ability to focus, etc…

Your recipe is similar to mine. I use about 1-1/4 cup of powder in a 28oz Blender Bottle. That produces close to three equal servings.

There are a couple things I can think of that might make a difference. You could switch to whey protein. It is less gritty and produces a smoth texture. Official Soylent uses a special mesh size that we can’t duplicate with DIY. You could change your ratios of maltodextrin and protein. Reduce maltodextrin to 140 grams and increase protein to 90 grams. That would also help the texture if you use a whey protein, and added protein wouldn’t hurt. Lastly, add another 1/4 cup of powder to your 28oz Blender Bottle.

Here’s a link to a modified version of your recipe. I also increased potassium citrate to 7.5 grams to reach 100% RDI. I really like your recipe. Let us know how it goes.

Copy of Paul’s DIY Rendition of the “Official” Soylent

@BriBy Thanks for the response! I’ve been reading your blog and watched a video of yours, which is been a big help to trying to get started. I’ll give that recipe a try and let you know how it goes!

Thx! I’ll look forward to hearing how it goes.

You could also try adding some Xanthan Gum to your recipe. It’s a thickening agent.
You can find it under the Bob’s Red Mill brand in the baking aisle (If you want it local, check here to see if Walmart carries it), or online.