My First Australian Recipe, feedback appreciated!

Hi guys and girls, I’ve been sifting through the mountains of information available here and elsewhere, and I think I’m finally getting close to a v0.1 recipe…

Here’s my recipe breakdown so far, I’ve decided to use a whole milk base as longevity once mixed isn’t a huge concern for me (the idea is to mix it and chuck it in the fridge, I’ve heard chilled Soylent tends to taste better anyway, as well as going some way towards neutralising phytic acid), and it has great nutritional value. I’m planning on topping up with water to reach my daily water target, hopefully this won’t affect the taste too much.

At the moment my main deficiencies are chromium, vitamin A, vitamin C and folate, as well as sulfur, which I’m not too concerned about as it should be present in some of the other ingredients, but is damn near impossible to find information on. If I start to see symptoms of deficiency, I can always add some MSM.

Fiber is also a little on the low side, but I’m not too concerned about that at the moment.

Vitamin C is easy, I’m happy to have a chewable tablet or 2 each day. Which leaves chromium, vitamin A and folate. Has anyone got any suggestions for those? So far I can’t seem to find a good source of chromium that doesn’t mess up everything else.

Magnesium is on the high side, but I’m not sure how I can reduce that while keeping everything else at or above 100%.

Any feedback is appreciated at the moment, I plan on going a whole week (maybe 2) on solely Soylent, so there’s no way I’m going to make it without having it thoroughly vetted by the Soylent community!

Cheers in advance!

Hi @MetaSynapse,

Base recipe looks good and I’d be really interested to see how you go using milk as a base.

Chromium, vitamin A and Vitamin C should be able to be managed using a different multivitamin. Alternatively just source those last three vitamins seperately. I’ve found iherb to be really useful for individual nutrients as they have great prices and ship to Australia relatively quickly.

Chromium (Could take separately or crushed into your soylent)

Vitamin A (Has a little bit of Vitamin C as well.

I wouldn’t worry about your magnesium as it is from dietary sources and not supplements.

" There is no UL for dietary intake of magnesium; only for magnesium supplements." - Link

Let us know how you go once you get started :slight_smile:

Hey @G_Force,

Thanks for your reply :smiley: I’ve since changed the multivitamin to a more complete one (comparing micronutrient contents between multivitamins has to be the most tedious thing ever, haha), as well as tweaking a few ingredients and replacing the oat powder with Kamut flour.

My completion index is currently sitting on 99% (on my “experimentation” sheet), though a few minerals are starting to creep towards the upper limit, especially Iron at 32mg (upper limit is 45mg, RDI is 8mg). Fibre is at 76% RDI, but I think 23g is probably enough, and it’s easy enough to add more.

Unless anyone can spot any glaring errors or things I might have missed, I might start ordering ingredients!

$4.42/day taking shipping into account seems pretty good to me, considering I spend more than that on breakfast during the week!

EDIT: I’m sure I can get Potassium Chloride much cheaper locally, I just have to look around for low-sodium salt and make sure it’s relatively pure. While technically the most I can save by doing that is 6c/day, that assumes I’m going to be consuming 750 days worth of Soylent… xD

Fibre should be fine at 76% and as you said it’s easy to supplement if you get any issues.

Iron I would be a little concerned about. Being male you really don’t need more than 8mg and 32mg every day would accumulate and likely cause issues long-term.

Unfortunately you can’t fix that without changing your multi again…

sigh

Well I’ve changed my multi again! xD I noticed there was a “no iron” multivitamin subsection on iHerb, which was pretty handy. It’s a little more expensive, to the tune of about 7c/day, which doesn’t bother me at all.

I’ve added finely powdered Psyllium husk to make up the last of the fibre, though I may not need as much as I think.

This puts me on the holy grail of a 100% completion index (for the nutrients/vitamins/minerals counted, at least!), any final thoughts before I move this into beta? xD

Thanks for taking the time to post this! I’m in Australia too and have been looking for a recipe with ingredients & brands available here

Have you considered adding the recipe to http://www.makesoylent.com/recipes ? It’ll make it easier to read (imho) than Google Docs.

If you’re in Melbourne, I’d even considering chipping in to buy the ingredients in bulk?

I’ll take a look at makesoylent.com tomorrow night (unfortunately it’s blocked at work as an “Uncategorised URL” currently), but I’ll definitely put the recipe up there.

Yep, fellow Melbournite here, happy to discuss a bulk buy! With a few different sources’ worth of shipping, it’s sure to make a difference.

Let me know when you’re ready to order and I can fling you some cash, then meet up when it arrives :smiley:

It’d be interesting to know what it tastes like when it’s all mixed up. I’m not fussy, but a little honey, or strawberry flavouring or something like that would help!

I’ve put my recipe on MakeSoylent.com, which made me realise I could use some more Omega-3. My Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio was sitting at around 10:1, so I’ve added some ground flaxseed and reduced the olive oil to bring it to just under 2:1. Much better!

I also went shopping yesterday to see what I could find locally, scouring Coles, Woolworths and Aldi, as well as a few health food shops. I found 1kg bags of glucose powder (dextrose, in other words) in one of the health food shops, which while technically not cheaper than the online ones, I would have to buy at least 12kg in one go online for it to end up cheaper once shipping was taken into account, so I decided it’s easier to buy local…

Dutch cocoa turned out to be more expensive than I anticipated, as the brand I was basing my price off (through the Woolworths website) wasn’t being stocked. I’ve found an online supplier which is only about $1 cheaper for 1kg, but 40% of the cost is flat-rate shipping, so the savings will scale nicely in bulk.

In the end I bought most of the local ingredients yesterday, I have to go back for olive oil though (already had 2 full bags of shopping and I had to walk home, another 4kg of oil was not going to work! xD), and I’ll look for cheap ground flaxseed too.

With a bit of luck I’ll start ordering the online stuff tomorrow, and hopefully chugging my first batch of Soylent with a couple of weeks! (I can almost guarantee the first batch will taste awful though, or at least not great :wink:)

So I’ve been reading up on Omega-3 and Omega-6 (dear god, the rabbit hole just goes deeper and deeper…), and in light of the mountains of confusing and downright contradictory studies and recommendations, I’ve hammered out a set of basic guidelines.

Since most studies seem to agree that a lower 6:3 ratio is better, I’ve tried to get as close to a 2:1 ratio as possible. For Omega-3 levels, I’ve looked at ALA conversion efficiency, EPA and DHA sources and various countries’ and organisations’ recommendations, and settled on a recommendation/upper limit of 3g of Omega-3, of which around 300mg should be EPA/DHA (probably from fish oil), which gives me an Omega-6 upper limit of 6g, which is handily about where I’m sitting already.

I may play around with different oils to try to get a better ratio, but I’m pretty happy with where it is for now, at least until I get my ingredients and start testing.

The most up-to-date version of my recipe will always be on Google Docs, as I can’t access MakeSoylent.com from work.

Hey thanks for posting your recipe. It’s been useful for me as a way to source things for mine :wink: (which I’ll post once I’m satisfied with it)

You might want to check out this: http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/n35-n36-n37 i.e. the Australian recommended stuff, which has a lot of reading material referenced. Specifically the section on “optimising diets for lowering chronic disease risk… n-6 and n-3 omega fatty acids”. They recommended 160mg/day based on average intakes in Aussies earlier in the doc, but then in that section they basically say “yes we should eat more” and recommend 610mg.

There’s some useful tables starting from the end of that section and going into the next too, summarising all the recommendations.

No worries, happy to help :smiley:

I used the first PDF in that link to get all my RDI’s although the second document would’ve been easier in hindsight…

The 160mg/day and 610mg/day figures you’re referring to are for long chain Omega-3 fatty acids, i.e. EPA and DHA. For ALA n-3, they give the much vaguer recommendation of 0.5-1% of dietary energy in the optimisation section, and 1.3g/day in the RDI summary table (which is based on median population intake).

With that taken into account, I’m still happy with my target of 3g total n-3 and 300mg LC n-3.

In other news, the first of my food packages arrived yesterday… when no-one was at home. So now it’s sitting at the post office, and I have to convince the only person in the house with a car to go get it for me >_> I should probably put a sign up asking couriers to drop packages off around the back, and hope they take notice of it.

Ok fair enough. Just wanted to make sure you knew about it :wink:

I stuck a sign on my front door that says “please try the back door” because my front door is rubbish haha.

Doesn’t Hemp Oil have an optimum balance of Omegas?

“The oil is of high nutritional value because of its 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids, which matches the balance required by the human body.” wikipedia citation link

I’m looking forward to hearing your experiences on Soylent. I’m not in a rush to be an early adopter but I’m definitely going to try it somewhere down the line. (Melb also interested in a local buying group…)

The reference used for that claim hardly fills me with confidence. There is still huge debate surrounding the “optimum” ratio of n-6:n-3 EFAs, with recommendations ranging from 1:1 to 10:1. But considering the “average” Western diet contains a ratio of 17:1 (iirc), I’m not too concerned either way.

Cool, I’ll see how this recipe goes. You’re welcome to try it once I’m happy with it, and then we can look into group buying.

Nice! I’ve been trying to make my Soylent with Australians for awhile, but I couldn’t get the seasoning right.

Based on cancer studies I could tell you that the optimum ratio of n-3:n-6 is between 1:1 and 1:3.

Our ancestors would have had a ratio approximately 1:1 or 1:2.

Ah, the trick is to add vegemite.

Which is exactly why I’ve said I’m aiming for 2:1 n-6:n-3 :stuck_out_tongue:

Another package arrived over the weekend :smiley: this time the multivitamins and potassium chloride. Just waiting on the slow order from the US, and I have to get to the post office to pick up the flour at some point.

I just can’t seem to stop tweaking and optimising my alpha recipe though*, and I’ve replaced the slow US source with Australian equivalents with flat rate shipping, which should help if I get a group set up (as well as arriving significantly quicker). This involved replacing the soy protein isolate with whey protein concentrate, but everything else is about the same.

*I consider this initial recipe formulation to be the alpha phase, beta will begin once I start taste-testing :smiley:

So I got impatient waiting for the rest of my stuff to show up, and went out and bought small quantities of what I was missing. The only psyllium husk powder I could find was 50% sugar and orange-flavoured, and I’ve heard having unpowdered husks is unpleasant, so I grabbed some pectin instead (both are soluble fiber, to the best of my knowledge).

I also bought a digital scale, with 0.5g increments, and I made up a third of the recipe in the “Ze Lab” sheet on my spreadsheet, adding 1/3L of water to bring up the fluids.

Surprisingly, it actually tasted pretty good! It’s very similar to chocolate Up’n’Go in taste and texture, with a few little bits from the ground flaxseed (which won’t be present once I start getting the superfine powdered stuff). I’m certain it’ll taste better refrigerated as well. It was cool, from the milk, but cold would be better. I’ll experiment with cooking the flour to break down the starches a bit, and hopefully to somewhat reduce the cake-mix-esque taste.

That was my lunch, and I still feel completely sated (~5:30pm), and I’ll be having “real” food for dinner. I’ll cook the flour and make another single meal batch tonight, then refrigerate it and have it for lunch tomorrow, and then hopefully I’ll be able to try going soylent-only for the coming week.