My first Soylent cake

I’ve had a few brownie experiments come out very “cake like”, but today I made my first actual intentional Soylent cake!

Looks great, waiting to try it till tomorrow though, my other half is already in bed and I want us to test it at the same time. :slight_smile:

It came out very very crumbly, was rather difficult to stack the layers but I managed it with only a moderate mess.

Very cute. <20 characters>

Eve

Please do post the recipe!

OMG silly me… totally meant to! :smiley:
Here it is… adapted from a Hershey’s cake recipe available on their website:

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar
2 cups Soylent
3/4 cup Cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare two 9-inch round baking pans.

Stir together sugar, Soylent, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.

mix eggs, milk, oil; add dry mix to wet

beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into wax lined pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely & frost.

Keep in mind that as of this moment, I have yet to actually try a slice of the cake. I had some crumbs that fell off during frosting, and thought it tasted slightly salty and maybe a touch bitter. My hope is that the frosting offsets that to find a good balance. Kinda hard to tell really with just crumbs but… might have been better to use slightly more sugar, or maybe white sugar instead of brown. Will know for sure soon as I’m not waiting much longer to cut into this thing. :wink:

OK, the verdict is in.

Her first words were “it’s very rich!” I didn’t really find it to be, though obviously a bit moreso with the frosting.

The cake itself definitely isn’t quite right somehow. I think maybe a bit too much baking soda & powder, or maybe a tad too little sugar (I had reduced the original recipe’s sugar a bit).

It’s also pretty dry, and crumbles a lot when trying to cut it. Very messy.

All that being said however, as long as you get a bite with a bit of frosting with it, it’s really very tasty as the sweet balances out the slight saltiness of the cake.

So, whenever I try cake again, I’m going to cut the baking soda/powder back to only 1sp. each, and increase the sugar maybe to 3/4 cup. Might also use white sugar instead of brown. Probably also ditch the added salt.

If anyone else experiments and gets a better result, please do share! :slight_smile:

Cool! :slight_smile: You might also want to add more xanthan gum, to make it less crumbly.

Oooh yes, thanks for the reminder… I actually meant to add some this time but forgot!