My latest brownie recipe

OK this is I believe my 5th batch of brownies. Each time I’ve been gradually tweaking the recipe, with the goal being to require as little additive ingredients as possible, and still come up with a tasty treat.

This batch is quite yummy, and has a fantastic slightly-hard crust on top, with a chewy but not-too-dense brownie body. They came out quite thin because I used a pretty large dish to make them in, but that actually made them cut a little cleaner, as they didn’t stick so much to the knife.

Here’s the exact recipe and steps I took, in case anyone would like to replicate my results:

Microwave Soylent Brownies - @vanclute Edition (beta version 0.5)

1 bag Soylent
2 tbls cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup oil (or 1 bottle of oil blend)
2/3 cup water
Add water as needed in 1 Tbls increments

1. Combine all dry ingredients
  2. Blend wet ingredients in large bowl, as ultimately it will hold everything. Mix thoroughly, even whipping
    the eggs up a bit to make the brownies a bit lighter.
  3. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients.
  4. Grease a microwave safe dish and pour in mixture.
  5. Cook on high for 8-12 minutes. Cook time will vary depending on microwave power, I did 9 minutes and have a reasonably powerful microwave but nothing crazy.
  6. Let cool for ~30 minutes before serving. Ideally, Let cool overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
  7. EAT! NOM NOM NOM.
  8. Optional step - share with others.

they look great. I’m thinking of getting a mini muffing pan and doing brownie bites. crust all around!

Ooooh what a great idea!!! Mmmmmmm crust!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/silicone-mini-muffin-pan
and then there is this suggesting for adapting the recipe

Trying them now with 1.1 and stevia powder instead of sugar. Added a spoon of butter and a spoon of honey.
So the only actually ratio changing ingredients are:
honey, butter and the egg. \o/
Let’s see how it goes. Baking them in the oven so.

Not bad, but a bit slimy. Probably too short in the oven. Or not enough temperature. Will try anothe one. Any other updates to your brownie recipe @vanclute?
Next time I will add another spoon of honey, leave out the butter and will probably add a bit more stevia, but not much. Overall not bad.

Addition: Oh man they are filling.

I’ve been having a pretty rough time with brownies tbh. It’s been quite frustrating… have had to throw out several full batches that were just inedible. It’s the strangest thing, but I’ve had several quite good small batches, but I have yet to make a full batch (1 bag Soylent) that came out really good. Every time I think I’ve nailed it… something goes horribly sideways. And I haven’t even attempted to bake brownies with 1.4 yet, I don’t see how that will work at all given that I tried the recently posted muffin recipe and it tastes super strongly of sunflower, which really ruins the whole experience IMO.

I’ve recently started looking at vegan brownie recipes as a starting point, and not just gluten free, in the hopes of not needing to add egg which makes it much more like a cake than brownies. I really want to nail this, and I can’t figure out why simply scaling the ingredients doesn’t seem to work very well. Really irritating. :frowning:

What did go wrong mostly? Too slimy?

I just tried chocolate macadamia cookies. Not as crispy as one would like, but I was slowly upping the time in the oven. The last ones were quite tasty. Smaller and about 9 minutes in the oven at 180°C.
Will try without the egg next time. I think it makes it too smooth. I really like using the stevia powder as it doesn’t add calories, but I think it let’s the cookies be too smooth again.

Not really no, though in several cases they were undercooked and a bit gooey. The whole “slime” thing doesn’t really apply to baked items IMO.

Yeah I’ve never been able to hit crispy at all, nor have I heard of anyone who has. Thinner items doesn’t even seem to do the trick. Soylent-based items just don’t crisp, for whatever reason. They can still be very tasty, but they stay soft.

I’ve tried both with and without numerous ingredients… egg, vanilla, baking soda/powder, salt… in every case there has been something that didn’t quite come out right. Several of my small batches have been nearly perfect, and still quite edible… but just slightly off the mark. And all of my full size batches have come out with something really very wrong, making them anywhere from tolerable but not great, to inedible. I would love to find a way to make cookies regularly but the batter is SO sticky that it’s just too much mess for me to want to deal with.

Ok probably my brownies were really undercooked. I will try out some new ideas, when I ate my 2 days worth of Soylent :stuck_out_tongue:
Perhaps http://soylent.green will in time publish crispy cookies or the @Soylent team will. With some insights into how much nutritional value is still left.