My Mom Isn't Convinced

Hey everybody,

So I’m wanting to give Soylent a try, but my mom is unconvinced. I’m 17 and I’m still living at home (I’m finishing high school, currently). To be completely honest, my diet absolutely sucks. I guess I better go into a little detail about my diet, health and body type?

I’m 6’2 and I weigh 134-137 pounds. I eat mostly bread products (Waffles, sandwhiches, pretzels), cereals, pizza, chicken, and plenty of snacks.I love food, but I don’t like the taste of “real food”. A few weeks back I had to go to the hospital because my kidneys were hurting and my I was having trouble using the bathroom. The doctor told me that I was severely (And boy do I mean severely) constipated and that I need to improve my diet. I was given some laxatives and stool softener, and I’ve been doing much better, but I know that problem may occur again in a few years if I don’t do something about it. I feel like I’m too skinny and possibly malnourished. I generally feel weak in my arms a lot, and I think my diet may play into that a little.

After finding out about Soylent I told my mom about it, but she seems completely against the idea. She hasn’t even done any research on Soylent, she just immediately dismisses it. She compares it to products like SlimFast, and says how Soylent can’t be good for me because it’s all chemicals and it’s processed. I’m sorry, but I think those are two dirty, misleading words. She says how there’s no way it could have everything I need, but I keep telling her, it’s got fiber, it’s got micro-nutrients, this stuff has got it all. I offered to show her the ingredients list, but she refused to even look at it. I respect my mom and all, and I respect her opinion, but her opinion on Soylent is misguided and she’s not willing to even look at the data.

Is there anything I could do to try and change her opinion about it? I’ve said that I wanted to see some sort of dietary doctor, but she didn’t really have an opinion about that, and I’m afraid they would try and hold me as if I had an eating disorder…

I should probably also go ahead and say that I’m not planning to give up food completely. I love food. I want to replace my daily breakfast and lunch with Soylent, and then come home every day and eat food for dinner. I’m hoping that all the nutrients I’ll be getting from Soylent will help cut down on my snack drive as well.

One question I do have: Is Soylent going to affect how I smell? One of the things I worry about is if I smell bad or not. I work hard to maintain a good smell and fight bad odors, and my friends even like to comment on how it always smells like soap if I’m nearby. I just want to make sure Soylent won’t give me a bad smell. If so, is it something that gum or a mint or peanut butter can take care of? (Yes, peanut butter)

Eat your vegetables.

They taste terrible, I don’t have a taste for them. Hence, why I thought Soylent would be good for me (Especially since it’s customizable, so even if I don’t like the taste, I could change it up).

Or were you joking?

technically, even the stuff in actual food is a chemical too, so is the make up she wears, and the perfume she uses.

There are dietary doctors that are for and against Soylent, its a split room so to speak, though the reasons why they are against it are more opinions than actual science.

That’s fine, there are a few threads where we are told that if only takes as little as 1/2 of a Soylent daily serving to get you to the USDA’s minimum nutrient values.

From the posts I have read it sounds like it makes you smell better, mostly. However due to the higher sulfur content any gas passed as been shown to be a bit more noticeable
http://discourse.soylent.me/t/soylent-scents-and-sex/4068 only one I can find easily on the Soylent forums.

. [quote=“oldwizardeyes, post:1, topic:10350”]
is it something that gum or a mint or peanut butter can take care of?
[/quote]

People who are on a nearly 100% Soylent diet actually chew gum to keep their jaw muscles working actually, so you could kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

I don’t know the right links to all the relevant posts but I am sure another user who has them bookmarked will be willing to add them.

Veggies are good but I hated veggies when I was a kid. My mom would just throw them in boiling water and flip the slop onto my plate. I would hate that today.

Do this

Take some thin asparagus and chop the ends off.

Put some butter in a pan and allow it to brown (over low heat)

Crank the heat up after you smell a nutty flavour from the butter and put the asparagus in the pan and let it brown with salt and pepper.

Remove it when its soft and browning and eat that. I would argue asparagus is a strong flavored veggie but its flavor softens when cooked this way.

Also if you are making a protein shake use a nutribullet and put some spinach in it raw and banana. This really tastes good as spinach does have a natural sweetness to it.

Remember all foods are acquired tastes. Not everyone likes everything but by conituing to try things your taste buds will orient to them. Also as your body becomes more alkyline I feel you like the taste of veggies better.

**** Not a nutrition expert but I am a foodie and I know what tastes good health be damned. Big macs do not taste good. They bludgeon your taste buds with the basics of salt sweet and fat. Thats easy and is crap.

@Matt88 That’s very interesting (About the smell and whatnot). Thinking about it now, it makes a lot of sense. Less BO, and more of that "me"smell. I’m sure you probably sweat less, too. That’s actually pretty exciting, as I sweat pretty often. Not bad, but often.

@Filterdecay That just sounds like it tastes bad. I personally like fatty foods like Big Macs. Not saying I would ever want to live off them, but I love greasy, fatty, salty junk. It’s a wonder I’m so skinny.

Everyone likes those things. Thats the point. You need to become aware of WHY you like them.

A lot of people don’t drink water. It tastes “flat” and is tasteless to them. However if those people began to drink water they would begin to crave it. The body wants water but the mind has been reconditioned to crave coke or whatever.

Same with sugars. Your body craves fruits because we had that a lot during our evolution. The mind has been reconditioned to crave donuts and candy instead of fruit. You can switch it back if you desire.

And fats are craved because they were rare and good in small doses. They arent rare anymore and we have them everywhere. So you need to find ways to satisfy that without always going overboard.

I like pork belly as much as the next guy but we should eat it knowing “why” instead of mindlessly consuming what is bad for us.

@oldwizardeyes, your passion for high carb foods and low body weight make me wonder whether you are one of the people who doesn’t tolerate grains well. Obviously some people eat high carb diets and thrive (Michael Phelps for instance), but for others it isn’t a great fit. You might take a look at books like The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, or have a read of this post on Mark’s Daily Apple about a guy benefiting from a high fat (bacon!) diet:

That site generally talks about diet and exercise for athletic performance including weight gain so may give you some insights that allow you to keep the high fat parts of your which diet you like, while improving your health.

Maybe learning about nutrition more generally would allow you to compromise with your Mom and improve your diet while keeping it high fat and flavourful, but also adding Soylent? You might also take a look at Tim Ferriss’ book The 4-Hour Body, in which he talks about one of the major reasons people struggle to gain weight – not eating enough calories. His comments are with respect to people who are working out, but there may be some related insights there.

Maybe you could also try going online to find the nutritional profile of some of the foods you like (waffles, pizza, etc) or the ones your Mom wants you to eat instead (whatever they are) and do a little comparison of their relative nutritional values per 100 grams in a spreadsheet.

If you show some knowledge and health improvements over a few months, she might take your arguments more seriously.

I recall reading and seeing a study done, though for the life of me I can’t remember where or what it was called, where artificial 0-Cal sweeteners are bad for you, not because they are artificial, but because they trick the brain. Your brain gets a sweetness signal and associates that signal with a specific caloric intake, by using the artificial sweetener, its sweeter, but there’s less calories so your brain begins to associate the same sweetness value with less calories (there is a term/scale for sweetness value).

This means if you eat something without an artificial sweetener that tastes as sweet, you’ll eat as though it was the artificial sweetener and have way more calories than your body knows what to do with. So stay away from calorie-less sweeteners!

@oldwizardeyes If you go to diy.soylent.me they have a bunch of food and food stuffs already listed on it, so @mjbowerman’s idea is already mostly done for you! If I believe correctly, you can add additional things to the list and make meal profiles. Should be able to use it to compare a meal you would make vs. one your mom would want you to eat.

Your stool problems come from a lack of fiber, which is usually found in vegetables. So, eat your vegetables.

For fibre, we in the UK have Weetabix, which is a breakfast cereal-thing consisting of a biscuit of pencil shavings that you pour milk over to make either a wet biscuit of pencil shavings, or porridge, depending on how long you leave it/mush it up. A 35g serving provides ~4g of fibre, but 35g is nothing for me - I would usually eat more. It tastes kind of bland, in a “could eat this forever” way.
Upshot: picking the right breakfast cereal (if you currently eat one) could help. This is not intended to say that “Weetabix is the best”, because it might not be.

I may have some advice for you, but it depends on the answers to these questions:

Is your intention of changing her opinion to get her to buy it for you?
How much disposable cash do you get access to on a monthly basis?
Does your mother’s opposition mean that she would stop you if you bought a bunch of supplements and she caught you grinding them up in a blender and putting them in a recipe?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This. This is pretty important. There’s a big difference between “I don’t really agree with this, I don’t want to drop $250/month on it” and “I am your mother, you are under 18, ***no.***”

In the case of the former… I remember high school, man. I remember not having like any disposable income most of the time. Switching over to Soylent would be a pretty drastic expense change, and you’re probably right to seek help on it from your mom. But she has expenses too, and unless she can actually see the benefits, this is going to look like a lot of money for something you could get easily from “real food”.

In the latter case, you’re in a bit of a corner. Even if you saved up your own money for a trial run, that would cause some issues. Honestly, in this case, you might want to just hold off a few (or more) months until you’re 18, and (respectfully) say “This is something I’m really interested in. I think it could make my health better, and I’d like to give it a try with my own money, but I wanted to let you know I respect your concern, and I want to keep you up-to-date on how I’m doing.” The delay would also give a chance to save up the money, if you need to.

Really, you’ve made a very good case for Soylent - there’s a lot more consideration in your post than a lot of people give the topic. But you can’t “change” someone else’s mind for them. You can only provide new information and let them make their own conclusions. I think as far as suggestions go, this is what I’d say:

• wait until the 1.0 ingredient list comes out, and then look into getting a doctor’s opinion. As long as you make a good pitch, explain why you feel this is better than your current sustainable diet, don’t throw around terms like “complete meal replacement”, and explain that you are interested in seeing how it goes first, most doctors will probably not just shoot you down. And actually go into the appointment with an open mind, don’t just expect to confirm something you already “know”. If you think you can make it a solo appointment without offending your mom, that might be best, to avoid starting a debate in the middle of your questions (but let her know you’re making the appointment).
  • If money is the main issue, maybe a compromise would be appropriate. You put in some amount to show that you are serious and committed, and she agrees to help out for something like a week’s supply to start, pending how well it actually works for you.
  • If you have the time and resources, look into DIY soylent. This isn’t really for everyone, but if you can manage it, it is often cheaper, and there are a few recipes based on “real foods”. If you go this route, there are a lot of threads around the discourse that can help you get started.

Good luck, and hopefully everything works out well :smiley:

Have you considered showing your mom some of the organic, whole-foods soylent options from diy.soylent.me?

Jumping in here as a mom. If my son came to me and said “Hey, I’m going to change my diet and only consume this liquid concoction some computer geek with no background in nutrition came up with.” I would say “Are you crazy?” Oh yea in fact that is what I said. But I kept an open mind and did my own research. I read the nutrient breakdown of Soylent, asked a lot of questions and had a Registered Dietitian do an analysis. Her verdict - It was indeed nutritionally complete and had nothing harmful. The next step was trying it and being in the right circle, I was able to become a beta tester. I started with V6 and now looking forward to final formula. I happened to have my annual blood work done just before starting Soylent and in October I had follow up tests. (I’ll be posting results on Tumblr). Bottom line my lipid profile has improved significantly and all other tests are still in normal range.
I am concerned that you are seriously underweight and most likely undernourished. If you are relying on fast food for the majority of your food I recommend you read Supersize Me by Martin Spurlock. He also did a documentary. I don’t always agree with him but this is dramatic visual evidence of what an all fast food diet (specifically McDonald’s) can do to you.
So it comes down to the questions others have posed. Are you asking mom to pay for it? Are you willing to wait till you are 18 and can pay for it yourself? Don;t be pushy. Be reasoned. Provide evidence and let her come to her own conclusion.Heck I got my 86 year old mom to try it.

Yeah, that’s not highly inappropriate to post to a thread started by a minor. Seriously, get your entitled, crude, whining butt out of here.

Just one man’s opinion. Maybe others find you pleasant or tolerable. I sure don’t.

Calm, calm - OP is 17, after all. It’s not as if on your 18th birthday your eyes are suddenly opened to the world as it really is.

I ain’t saying nothing, but don’t you get like lunch money for school in the US?

Though an eye opener for many people, this documentary is highly biased (consuming anything in ±5000kCal amounts does that to you). Supersize Me gets people thinking about nutrition, but unjustly demonifies fast food. After watching Supersize Me, see Fat Head, a reaction to Supersize Me.

Actually, if you do not want to take the time to watch both, only see Fat Head. It provides enough info on Supersize Me to see where Martin Spurlock went wrong, and what to do about it. Essentially, Fat Head is about a man who also eats fast food for a month, but he stays around 2000 kCal and avoids sugars a bit. I view that movie as a necassery follow up to Supersize Me.

And @oldwizardeyes, it had been a few days. Have you talked to your mom a bit more? If you could answer our questions posted above, you would help us help you!