My month-long account of DIY Soylent consumption

I tried out the ‘Beginner’s Recipe’ for a month and made some tweaks of my own. I have been publishing my story in a four part series, and will update this thread accordingly as they are released. Here is Part One Part Two Part Three and Part Four.

Both links point to the same URL?

Thanks, it should be fixed now.

If your recipe is based on the DIY Beginner’s Recipe, you should be aware that the level of magnesium they recommend is above the recommended upper limit for supplements.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/#h8

Apparently magnesium is absorbed differently from foods vs supplements, so the RDA (from food) is actually higher than the safe upper limit from supplements?

The Beginner’s DIY site seems to be defunct. I commented on this 4-5 days ago and it has yet to get through moderation; the site actually hasn’t had any comments posted in about a month.

I never liked that site and that recipe to begin with - would have said something to you, but I saw that apparently you did the research and checked everything yourself…poooh :slight_smile:

Question: WHAT does your Soylent actually taste like to you, NCannavaro?

@creidieki - Thank you for the heads up. I did in fact research the Beginners recipe and changed a few things before I started my Soylent trial, including the magnesium content. I will be posting my recipe for it tomorrow (in Part Four of my article series) and I would love some feedback on my dosing, to make sure I did everything correctly (one can never be too sure).

@CuriousBen - Thank you, but don’t worry. Soylent has become a part of my life now, and I am constantly seeking to improve it, so even advice now is useful to me. It could have been nice to have more feedback on the Beginners, but at the time it was the best I could find. As for the taste - I have changed it so many times that answering your question is difficult. If you mean what did it taste like the first time I made it? That answer would be; exactly like over-sweetened, yellow custard flavored porridge. It grew on me after a while, but I also kept tweaking the recipe/consistency to my liking, and I am rather fond of my end result.

Also, for anyone who is interested, Part Three is now up to read as well. Thank you for the support!

Here’s some advice then:
The point of blood testing would/should be to detect stuff that you DON’T feel, before they become a problem.
If you do feel something bad going on, like the dizziness you had when you didn’t drink enough, it’s usually easy to self diagnose, you don’t need blood testing for that (most of the time).

If you are still experimenting with adding flavour:
A lot of people report to me trying and really liking to add cinnamon to their Soylent. This is with my soylent version without oats, so results might be different for you - but maybe worth a try!

I have the impression that you’re reporting an easing of the symptoms of h. pylori. Could it be that Soylent is helping you with that?

@CuriousBen - Thanks for the reassurance. I have a short background in medicine, ironically, and I understand the nature of blood-testing and how important it can be. This was a risk, but I don’t feel that my health has taken a blow in any way from it. As it turned out, cinnamon became my favorite addative of Soylent - at this stage, it is a breakfast porridge, with spices/nuts added for flair. How did you substitute out oats, and how is that working for you?

@ruipacheco - This is correct, and I believe it that while Soylent helps maintain my control over h.pylori, it was ultimately the mastic gum that helped the most. Unfortunately, it is still something I haven’t conquered, and have been inquiring after it on this forum. I am going to start studying the effects of various Soylent recipes on the gastrointestinal tract, and hopefully, find some relief. Do you also suffer from this?

Oats are the substitute actually.

My recipe was initially based on Rob’s original, back when it didn’t have oats.
As a main energy source/as my carb I use Maltodextrin, and pretty much all my fibre comes from powdered psyllium husks.

You’ll find my recipe here:

The file linked on that site needs some updates (that I never find time for), mostly in sources and costs, but it will give you a good idea of what I’m doing.
I supply this formula and slight variations of it to ~15 people.
One person has found that Soylent just isn’t for them, one had some minor issues, the rest is happy…I think.

I have a hard time seeing through it all, I get confused with so many people involved. After reading your account of it, maybe I should try Noopept too! :smiley:

No, I don’t. I just noticed you were writing about it, possibly without being aware.

I don’t think she would be writing about anything without being aware of it : >

Btw, NCannavaro, I’d recommend putting the link to the 3rd part into your original postin here too.

@CuriousBen - Awesome recipe. Do you find that oats work better for keeping long energy, or does maltodextrin work alright? What were some other major differences? I would highly recommend Noopept - I have tried a variety of nootropics, and this is by far my favorite. Also, I tried to add the updated link to the original post, but it only allows two hyperlinks.

@ruipacheco - Haha yeah, it was pretty deliberately put. I haven’t seen anything about Soylent and h.pylori together, so I thought I’d start the discussion.

I couldn’t make a comparison since I have resisted the “oats movement” - never tried it with oats. Sorry for being unclear on that before!
All I could tell you is that there is no energy related problems with my maltodextrin version.

Since I have a stomach thing that most of the time puts me rolling on the floor in pain if I don’t eat for 4-6 (active) hours, I have my daily Soylent amount split into 4-5 drinks to be had every 4 or so hours.
That, together with the fiber slowing down absorption, works quite well at keeping the energy up.

Test to see how many URLs I get to post:

…plenty. You’ll probably be able to edit the missing links in once you “rise in rank” here. Until then you could put them into the 3rd post of this thread, which should be visible from the top for most. :slight_smile:

Why did you do that?

Well, by now (having looked at other people’s experiences) I have a lot more reasons than initially.
Originally though the main parts were that it was just not necessary for me, that it makes things more complicated, and that it might introduce texture and flavour problems.

What reasons are those?

I’m just surprised that you don’t use a low GI carb.

GI isn’t everything! :stuck_out_tongue:

Plenty of fiber to slow absorption in my soylent, plus the thinning out via the other ingredients (protein etc) - works fine with Maltodextrin. :slight_smile:

@CuriousBen - Thank you, it seemed to have worked now. What is wrong with your stomach? That seems like a bit of a difficult thing to live with.

Rolling on the floor is slightly exaggerated, though the pain is significant enough to make me unable to continue working.
It’s fine to live with, as long as you keep on eating every few hours! And when I recently realized I don’t like choosing and making and eating food all the time anymore, along came Soylent to save me. \o/