My Whole Foods Blended Version

I used cronometer.com (with my age, sex, height, weight stats) to make sure that I was getting a nutritionally-complete blended meal. It does require 1 supplement, which is just your basic multi-vitamin. Since I live in Costa Rica, my options are low (and importing any supplement will likely cause it to get seized at Customs), so I went with the GNC brand Mega Men Sport multi-vitamin.

Since I have a regular blender, I split this into 2 batches. So, I do half of the following recipe in the morning, and the other half sometime in the afternoon.

The recipe provides for 1,527 calories (it’s very easy to add more calories by adding in more ingredients), 200g carbohydrate, 34.4g fiber, 64.7g fat, 56.6g protein (and a minimum of 100% of the 9 essential amino acids), and just about all of my vitamins and minerals. It’s lacking in:

1. Choline (recipe provides 45% of my RDI)
  2. Iron (recipe provies 83% of my RDI, but I’m also male, so iron isn’t that important)
  3. Sodium (recipes provides 46% of my RDI)

Eating 3 eggs with a quarter tsp of salt would take care of the 3 above micros.

As for the recipe:

1. 200g blackberries
  2. 4 tbsp ground flaxseed
  3. 2 tbsp peanut butter
  4. 4 small bananas
  5. 1/2c dry oats
  6. 4c whole milk

If you also eat the 3 eggs with salt, that brings a total of 1,800 calories, 75g protein, 201g carbohydrate, and 85g fat.

I’m very happy with my version of this, and it keeps me rather full. I wish I could’ve just ordered everything I needed from Amazon, but there’s just no way that Customs would allow them through. I’m more comfortable just blending whole foods anyway. If I didn’t want to take the multi-vitamin, the above recipe still provides 94% of my nutrients, and it would take a bit more fine-tuning to come up with an improved version that would provide for 100%. At this point, I’m completely satisfied.

Comments?

Impressive. - when you say 94% though, does that mean the multivit takes you high in a lot of things?

Loving these whole foods versions. The only things stopping me from doing my own now are lactose intolerance, the fact I still have a bunch of ingredients from my current batch, might be hard to do a lower carb version, and its slightly more of a pain in the arse preparation wise. Still, you can just blend a batch, divide by 3 and place in shakers overnight I would assume? (then a quick shake next day and good as new?)

I assume taste is good?.

Yeah, the multivitamin does take the B vitamins fairly high, but I’m not concerned about it, because they are water-soluble vitamins

I work at home, so I don’t have to concern myself with making it overnight, but it does seem to keep in the fridge just fine. I imagine it would keep for a few days, since I’m using fresh milk.

I happen to like the taste, but that’s just me. I’m not a fan of drinking oils, so I went with the fat in the flax, peanut butter, and milk. If you wanted it thinner, just add more milk (or water/ice). The blackberries can be substituted for whatever berry you wanted (blueberry, strawberry, etc). I just happen to like blackberries more than strawberries, and blueberries are prohibitively expensive down here.

Nice recipe! Good demonstration of what can be done with whole food sources, especially when you enlist the power of cronometer.com. Okay, you happen to be in Costa Rica and have a customs problem, but so what, I just can’t see a formula like this as being in any way second-rate or inferior to the elemental formulae. Quite the contrary, in fact. I think for a variety of reasons this approach will eventually prove superior, particularly since the palatability factor will inevitably have a telling effect on long-term adherence to soylent. As I’ve said before, if it doesn’t taste good folks aren’t likely to stick with it over the long haul.

Well done, Steve.

I’m going to the farmer’s market tomorrow morning to get more supplies, so I’ll be able to get more accurate pricing for this. Here in CR, the local farmer’s markets are almost always the cheapest place to get stuff (except for the imported peanut butter). I used the prices from a local supermarket that offers online shopping (however, this supermarket is known for being more upscale, so their prices are higher than other markets). So, the prices that I will pay in the morning at the farmer’s market will be a little bit cheaper than this.

200g blackberries - $1.75
4 tbsp ground flaxseed - $0.13
2 tbsp peanut butter - $0.42
4 small bananas - $0.49
1/2c dry oats - $0.17
4c whole milk - $1.59

$4.55 per day, $136.50 per month

To reduce costs further, I suppose one could look into buying the big bags of powdered milk and find a different source than the berries. I wanted to keep the shake yummy, so I chose not to use powdered greens. The berries take the place of powdered greens, and I happen to love berries. The reason I use milk instead of whey protein is because supplements cost double here, making the whey protein financially stupid to buy.

I checked into it more, in regards to eliminating the multivitamin. If I were willing to eat 50g of spinach and drink 125ml of almond milk, that would just leave me with Niacin to take care (which would currently be at 68% of RDI). Eating 1 serving of an animal protein would cover this.

I would rather take the multivitamin than eat spinach. Almond milk tastes pretty good, but it’s almost $5-6 per liter. I have no issue with eating animals, but the whole point of this is so that I don’t have to cook. So, I’ll stick with taking the multivitamin.

I am curious, how feasible would it be to replace the milk with something like yogurt?

Yogurt would be a suitable replacement, but you would need 32 oz of it to replace the milk. I don’t know the cost of yogurt vs milk where you live, but milk is much cheaper here. That, and I can’t stand the taste of yogurt. :smile:

Alright, so I’m back from the farmer’s market and a few other stores, and here’s the updated prices, using the cheapest ingredients (except for the oats…I took a chance at CostCo that their big box of Quakers dry oats would be cheaper than a local alternative, but I was wrong; the local alternative ended up being a bit cheaper, but the cost comparison is small).

New prices:

200g blackberries - $0.64
2 tbsp peanut butter - $0.19
4 small bananas - $0.09
1/2c dry oats - $0.15
4c whole milk - $1.32

$2.52 per day
$75.60 per month

Very awesome!

So I was using cronometer.com to look at the nutrition of your formula and i think taking the multivitamins makes it so that you don’t need the blackberries at all and i think you could use like 50 grams instead just for taste.

Also @SteveCR How does it taste? I assume you made some since you just bought the ingredients.

But the blackberries also provide over 10 grams of fiber. They provide some natural sweetening, as well as anti-oxidants. Sure, they could be eliminated but you’d have to replace them with another source of fiber

I hadn’t considered the anti-oxidants and the lowered fiber would make it less filling. Thanks for the response. So it does taste good then?

It’s hard to describe the taste, but I really like it. It tastes just how it sounds. The milk and bananas make it light and creamy, while the flaxseed and oats give it a slight nutty flavor. It has a faint taste of the peanut butter, but nothing overwhelming. The blackberries give it this cool purple color, and they add a sweet, yet tangy, flavor to it. It’s really hard to describe it, but my entire family absolutely loves the taste of it.

What I like even more about it is that if you need more energy, you can just add more oats to it (I buy the regular oats, not the ground or oat flour), and if you needed more protein/fats, then add more milk or flax or peanut butter. I also add ice to the blender to make it colder. I just really enjoy it, and I like even more that I can have a meal prepared in mere minutes (including full cleanup), that completely satiates and nourishes me.

Is there any way you could run your recipe through makesoylent.com and make it public? I would like to look at it with various nutrition profiles. It looks pretty excellent as far as I can tell.

That would take a bit of work for me to have to input all of the nutritional data for each ingredient. Just doing the blackberries alone took up more time than I was willing to devote to it. If the site doesn’t even have blackberries in its’ database, it’s not something that I’m going to be interested in using. Cronometer.com works just fine for me.

The makesoylent.com AP does not have a complete. Databde yet. I am glad that you have found a nonsoylent site you trust for complete nutrition. You are right that entering complete and accurate nutrition information is what we would expect and that such entry is not wihout significant effort.Thank you for entering blackberry, a new ingredient for most of us.

I’m sure you can pull from the USDA and other databases for more ingredients. That’s what chronometer does.

I did a bit of searching on Amazon, and I found a food-based multivitamin that I like; 150 servings, so that’ll last 5 months. I figured out a way that I can import something like this, so I’ll be doing that. For the remaining nutrients, I just have to eat 2 eggs daily,

200g blackberries - $0.64
2 tbsp peanut butter - $0.19
4 small bananas - $0.09
1/2c dry oats - $0.15
4c whole milk - $1.32

Rainbow Light Men’s One Multi - $0.16
2 eggs - $0.28

$2.96 per day
$88.80 per month

I am beyond ecstatic on being able to feed myself with such high nutrition for under $90 a month. I’m sure that the prices would be even cheaper up there in the States, since I mostly rely on locally-produced foods. The shake is so incredibly filling that I’m just not hungry at all. I pretty much just sip on it all day long.

You’re probably not getting enough iron. By 83% of your RDI of iron, I assume you mean about 6.6 mg/day. But since all of your iron is in the form of non-heme iron, you should probably be aiming for about 14.4 mg/day (for men ages 19+). That’s what the DRI recommends (p 38).