Natural soylent recipe

Hello everyone, first post here.

Can you guys share your thoughts about my recipe? I came up with it after discovering it was too expensive to source the chemical ingredients and additives necessary for an original-like soylent.
It all costs a little less than US $5.

Dried bananas - 125g - potassium & taste
Dried papayas - 100g - vitamin c & taste
Dried apricots - 100g - vitamin A & taste
Raw oats - 100g - carbs
Sesame seeds - 50g - calcium & protein
Ground flax seeds - 25g - cmega 3 & protein
Sunflower seeds - 50g - protein
Dried parsley - 10g - vitamin k
Iodized table salt - 4g - sodium and iodine
Centrum silver - vitamins and micro-nutrients

Cronometer says I get 100% + of everything the body needs except saturated fats (which are somewhere around 65-70%). But is there something here?

Looks good to me.
How’s it taste?

Also it’s possible to do entire whole-foods versions. I’ve posted a couple before. My most recent recipe is pretty impressive.

Starting with peanuts and milk usually works out pretty well.

If it tastes good though, I would just stick with it. The most difficult thing to do is make a recipe that tastes good.

I’ll enter it in later to my soylent spreadsheet and let you know how the nutritional content comes out if you want.
You’d have to give me your age, weight and gender.

It’s basically granola, which is also how it tastes :smile:

I’ve stumbled on your posts before, they’re very good. I think one of them was
where I discovered cronometer, awesome tool. So thank you for that.

The idea was to make something with similar durability to the original soylent. Meaning large pre-made batches, easy to store and no cooling required. This is the reason why it doesn’t have dairy products or anything that can easily go bad.

Sure, Thank you.
Sex: Male
Weight: 70kg
Height: 1.75m

For the dairy you can use dry milk which can be stored indefinitely.
That was a problem with my recent soylents, though, that’s why the newest one uses nutritional yeast and carrot powder. It stores for up to 15 years.

Yeah, I would hang on to that. I’ve found through all my DIYing that the most important thing is to make something you can bear to eat every day. Granola sounds tasty lol.

Cool, I’ll let you know after I’ve entered it in.

Would a low carb version of this be doable? also assume you can get powdered version of all the ingredients would that be better overall interms of cost/storage?

Yeah it looks good.
In fact, according to my spreadsheet, you don’t need a multivitamin. You just need to add a source of vitamin E and vitamin D (Or get sunshine).

It has the correct amount of calories in the correct proportion for your height and weight and age as well. Good job. Really good job.

FWIW: Although sesame seeds are mostly very highly touted for claimed health benefits, they just about top the phytic acid sweepstakes, with a startling 5.3% phytic acid content, or roughly five times as much as cereal grains like oats and wheat.

It’s easily doable. The only problem you will face is the potassium source.
In my recipe the major potassium source, which is also the major carb source, is dried bananas.
If you can order potassium gluconate, that would vastly decrease the amount of carbs and also the cost of the recipe.

Thank you, it took me many hours of research.

I’m using cronometer.com to asses the nutrition values. If I remove the Centrum silver multi-vitamin, it shows I lack vitamin B12 (0%), vitamin A(26%), vitamin C(60%) and vitamin D(0%). I’m not really lacking E, since sunflower seeds are a major source.

Any idea what is causing the difference?

I’m unfamiliar with phytic acid.
Can you elaborate some on what would it’s effects might be and any ideas on how to counter those?

I’m using a custom spreadsheet and numbers from the USDA nutrient database. It appears that cronometer also uses the database.

My guess is that they’re wrong.

I’ll put it in once more and observe the different nutritional values, but I’m very confident that my application is correct.

I was a little more careful this time.
You’re lacking vitamin D, which you can just get with sunshine, and vitamin B12, which you can get with nutritional yeast, and pantothenic acid.

You are also a little bit low on calcium. You can add grape leaves or dairy to meet the calcium needs.

You might be fine afa pantothenic acid goes, but dried papayas aren’t in the USDA nutrient database, so I’m not sure what the non-dried equivalent mass is.

I really think the only thing worth worrying about is vitamin B12.

Article by Ramiel Nagel “Living with Phytic Acid”

Read the article, and then after that I suggest you use the search function of these forums; there has been a good deal of discussion of the issue here already.

Thank you, very enlightening.

Based on phytic acid content, this recipe might not only be not as good as it appears, but also dangerous if consumed as a sole source of food.