Nausea and vomiting several times after eating food bars

https://www.amazon.com/Soylent-Food-Bars-Ounce-Count/dp/B01IRFB0JY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Number 1 New Release on Amazon, and what’s the biggest complaint? “Too Sweet.” Amazon reviews are a pretty good indicator if there is something “wrong” with a product. For example, with the Haribo sugar free gummy candies, there are many reports of the death shits. Yet, the biggest complaints from Food Bar is its too sweet.

Interesting.

I had a similar thought, since I was fine eating bars from the same box until I had the episode.

However, I wonder if that is just me hoping this is a “fixable” issue, and that it’s not just me. I was really enjoying the bars until I had the reaction.

Although I first learned about the issue on reddit, I have no desire to complain all over the internet on places like amazon and reddit. I’m not freaking out and reporting it to the FDA or whatever. I reported it to info@soylent.com and I created an account to add to the discussion here. On the message board they own.

I really liked the food bars. I want to continue to like them. I want to do anything to help soylent fix the issue, if possible.

Lol… @naten & @geneven , thanks for your detective work, healthy skepticism is often good. I’m a real Soylent consumer though and this is a dead serious issue where I’d like to get official info ASAP from RL on what’s going on.

I might also have only posted once (never had the need before, all questions on nutrition were asked & answered by others), but I’ve been lurking on discourse for 2 years, mixed up more than 150 pouches of 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 in the Takeya. Check my account creation date.

Soylent stash from last November:

My girlfriend has had no issues eating the Food Bars from the same batch. She regularly brings them to work for lunch.

I don’t have any food allergies. At least I never had any until now…

If you click on a user you can see when they joined, the date of their last post, and (if you click through) all of their posts. Your account is obviously legit, as are a few others, but seriously 90%+ (when I counted it was 85%, I believe, and there have been more new accounts created) of the reports of illness are from brand new accounts who have only posted in this thread and have never been seen before or since. That’s strange, compared to previous (real) issues, which affected a lot people here who have had accounts for years/months/whatever. Could there be a legitimate reason for that? Yeah, I guess, but I tend to lean towards the obvious answer.

If they are legit accounts, RL is aware; if not, they have much more information than we do to take appropriate action, if any.

I’m not, at least not in your case. IMO, it’s beginning to look like someone is creating multiple accounts to “magnify” the problem. Whether that’s a jaded customer or a competitor, I don’t know, but I’m confident that if there is or was an issue RL will find it. The longer that these “reports” continue to flood in without food bars being pulled from the site, the less likely that seems.

The thing is, people get sick, and if I remove all the brand new accounts (which may not be real data), I’m left with a handful of users who got sick after eating a food bar. I’m left to assume that everyone else who ate food bars, from the same batches, including myself, did not get violently ill. Therefore, it seems unlikely (to me) that food bars are causing illness.

I could be wrong, but I’m putting my food bars where my mouth is.

Alright, so there’s been 21 reports of vomiting since I created this thread about a month ago (7th of September). Of those, 32% are accounts that can be shown to be established users. See the spreadsheet I put together here.

I’m not seeing evidence that these non-established accounts are sockpuppets. The narrative voice and character differs between the posts but the general symptoms match those described by the established users. I suspect that many of these users are registering because they were researching their symptoms online. I do want to point out that a google search for vomit food bar has this thread at the top, so it wouldn’t be hard for non-forum users to find (and then register).

Whatever the status of the accounts, 60% of people reporting issues say that they consumed a certain number of bars successfully (at least 2) without any kind of reaction, and then later had strong vomiting. That fact on its own is one of the more significant findings, and should be considered before writing off reactions as allergies to specific ingredients in the bars.

So far, I think @rlpowell has summarized the problem most succinctly:

[I]t’s not the bars by themselves, it’s not an allergy (because I had a bunch and I was fine); it’s some combination of the bars and particular people under particular circumstances.

He also suggests a vitamin overdose possibility:

I think what people are experiencing is a situational overdose of some vitamin that’s causing the effects in people who are sensitive to it.

Food Bars - safe to order more after "outbreak"?

Wonderful work!

I did post my batch numbers up there, I didn’t see them in the spreadsheet:

"For the record here my bars are:

ON BOX ITSELF: B1-00CAR Best By 1976 14JUL17 0716

ON BAR WRAPPERS: 10:02 B.B. 14JUL17 F3 1976"

I had 5 bars I think with the last (fifth) one only partially eaten before my tummy said nope.

Awesome work there! Kudos, and thanks for the continuing effort! :slight_smile:

I’m actually starting to think that it is an allergy, it’s just that it’s a new allergy being induced by eating the bars.

Yeah, because you can easily detail a complaint about being sick multiple times and having to visit the ER in as much detail as needed above in 140 characters or less. What are you expecting, “Sick after a food bar LOL #sad #sick #ER #foodbarnausea”? Clearly the issue isn’t that rare baring in mind 10+ people on discourse alone - not the most frequently posted in of sites - have reported the problem. And even if it is rare, clearly something still needs to be done because the issues being reported are worthy of an extensive and in-depth FDA investigation. It may not even be Soylent, it’s likely the copackers, but an investigation is still needed because if people are getting this sick there’s clearly something very wrong somewhere.

Someone reported similar symptoms as reported here on the subreddit the other day. I linked to this thread so they could check batch numbers. It isn’t particularly surprising there are new accounts being made to report the problem as a result of that - it could just be more people who experienced the same finding out about discourse.

More than anything else, this fact suggests it is an issue with Soylent’s transport methods, not that the problem is made up. Amazon ones will always be sent in Amazon vans during transit, which may have different conditions. If this is indeed a temperature problem causing the melting of adhesive, it could be certain of the couriers Rosa Labs use has inadequate heat protection. Even if it’s not temperature related, no issues on Amazon suggest it is a courier problem, not a made up problem.

I posted in response to someone else, but in case you don’t see it, a few days ago someone on the subreddit reported nausea and sickness after eating a bar. I linked to this discourse thread in the comments. That would explain any new accounts reporting the problem in the last 2 days, as many on the subreddit may be unaware of discourse. For reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/soylent/comments/55mnyh/nausea_from_food_bars/

Wow, thanks for the thread and the work. Yes, I’m a new user, but that does not mean that I or others did not have an issue from eating the bars as some (not you) on this thread are insinuating. Thanks for recognizing that.

I’ve been subscribing to 2.0 since March and am very satisfied with the product.

@SoySister, @mcsquared88, @jhum, @gilahacker, @Martha_Starr

How many food bars had you (or your husband, in Martha’s case) eaten before having an issue?

I couldn’t help but lol. Here is a picture of “Amazon vans”:

And here is a picture of RL vans:

I think it was my fifth one that made me sick, around two and a half weeks after initially receiving the bars.

Ah, different system to the UK it seems. Regardless, there are enough people reporting issues that it is exceptionally unlikely they are fake. If they were all coming from one user making different accounts to create panic, their IP would get banned. I highly doubt anyone cares enough to use VPNs just to make some people question whether or not to get soylent bars.

How about just one tweet reading “I had one of those Soylent Food Bars yesterday. Threw up for hours!” Do you think a few reports like that would impress consumers? I think they would. Yet zero reports like that have been posted (breaking news-- one posted about Food Bars details below). Yet here is a bad one that was posted:

@NoahWarder: tried a #coffiest today… tasted like the worst chocolate milk ever. #soylent #HappyCoffeeDay unimpressed @soylent

But I finally saw a bad report on Food Bars today. It said that they are poison. No details.

Wow… What a strange (and unsettling) mystery… I just finished sifting through this entire thread. So far I’ve only eaten one and it was fine. I just ordered a box with my next 2.0 sub so fingers crossed…

@Conor, could you explain what these various markings represent?