Nausea and vomiting several times after eating food bars

@Raylingh – Yes, I offered to return as well and that is when I got “We only want you to consume Soylent products you enjoy” – go ahead and discard. I am seriously considering contacting the FDA.

1 Like

I had a slightly similar experience. I offered to return the unused bars in case they wanted to capture them or test them or something but they weren’t interested. I ended up getting a refund no problem but it’s a bit concerning that they don’t bother capturing possible bad batches. I’ve kept my remaining Food Bars in my pantry just in case they’d need them in the future or the FDA asks for them or something.

@BitBucket – Did you report to FDA?

1 Like

For the record here my bars are:

ON BOX ITSELF: B1-00CAR Best By 1976 14JUL17 0716

ON BAR WRAPPERS: 10:02 B.B. 14JUL17 F3 1976

Hope it helps someone. Since some are 1976 and others 1966 I suspect it’s some ingredient that makes people ill though I have no idea what. Even so, there should be some kind of warning on the box and bars warning people with a whatever sensitivity. Before Soylent I never really experienced symptoms like this before. Usually food poisoning is slow like a train building up speed for me, but the Food Bar was like Tesla in Ludicrous Mode.

1 Like

Nope but the more that’s added to this thread it’s tempting.

I never vomited from them but I was as close as I can get without ever vomiting. The experience wasn’t too dissimilar from the bad extreme vomiting I had with Soylent Powder v1.1 .

In my support emails the person said they didnt’ want them back but I was free to discard them or give them away to someone else who may enjoy them. And I’m thinking, give away food that almost made me vomit several times to someone? Srrsly?

1 Like

My latest box has numbers similar to yours. No problems. The other two or three boxes I’ve had were also fine. I have a friend who quite often has symptoms similar to yours, but she doesn’t consume Soylent.

2 Likes

I’d take them if they’re still sealed. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’d say consume at your own risk; we’ve had 4 reports of pretty serious nausea and 3 of vomiting. However if you do happen to react violently (while not having reacted that way before), that would be further strong evidence that something is wrong with these specific bars. That’s essentially what happened with me.

I would also take still-sealed Soylent for testing purposes. I’ve had “bad” Soylent before, most recently when I went back to 1.5 after having been on 1.6 for awhile, I got a bag that I couldn’t finish and had to pour down the drain. But of course I’ve had many, many “good” bags of 1.5 and all the 1.6s I’ve had. I never had a bad 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 or 2.0 or Bar.

2 Likes

Well well well, the boxes of bars I received today are marked 1966 (AFAIK all my other boxes were 1976 or something else)! Eating my first one now, wish me luck! So far, it doesn’t smell, taste, or look abnormal. Currently still alive.

2 Likes

We test every batch. We ship bars to our offices every time we do a run. We send those off for testing and log every complaint.

3 Likes

It’s been an hour I’m still not vomiting. :disappointed:

2 Likes

After my experience with these specific bars I wouldn’t feel right giving them to anyone. If someone got sick from something I gave them I’d feel terribly guilty.

1 Like

Yeah, but I’m 99% sure it was unrelated to the bars, or if it is related to the bars, it’s a sensitivity I don’t share. I’ve eaten many boxes without issue so far.

2 Likes

@wezaleff, How can you be so confident that there was nothing wrong with our shipments? My suspicion is that a small portion of the batch was spoiled, for some unknown reason. Suppose that something got into the mixer at the wrong time. Two boxes with the same batch number (but produced at different times of day) could yield a different result.

2 Likes

I’ll buy them off of you. How many ya got? PM me please.

@wezaleff Out of curiosity, did you get any stringy residue that looked like this? http://i.imgur.com/AQ7N0dr.jpg

Only 6 remain, but I just can’t. I’m absolutely terrified of making anyone sick with the ones I have.

1 Like

Well, I can’t be 100% sure if no one will ship me a “bad” bar to try eating, but none of my boxes have made me sick. It’s perhaps understandable for me to treat that as strong empirical evidence that they won’t make me sick? I imagine if a bad batch was found by testing and there was a recall, or widespread reports of bars making people sick, then I might be more wary. It probably doesn’t hurt that I’ve tried Soylent 1.0, 1.3-1.6, 2.0, and Coffiest, and none of those products have made me sick. It probably gives me a higher confidence than someone who, for instance, received a moldy bottle of 2.0.

I think I had one bar in my car that kind of became soft and left residue a few weeks ago, but no, there’s minimal residue in my wrappers. It’s pretty cool here: about 60-70 °F (which google tells me is about 16-21 °C), so it might be a temperature thing?

1 Like