Nausea and vomiting several times after eating food bars

I reported to FDA too. Please everyone who has been impacted do the same.

2 Likes

That seems unlikely, to be honest.

1 Like

What username did you use yesterday?

So, you aren’t Ryan Mercer? How long had Dusty had an account?

Well they’re doing a crap job of it.

3 Likes

FYI - I also had a 6-8 hour long bout of vomiting after eating a Soylent bar. It wasn’t the first bar from the box, it wasn’t my first box of Soylent bars, and I’ve been consuming Soylent in powdered and liquid form since 1.0 so I don’t think it’s an allergy to an ingredient. Further evidence that it was the Soylent bars that made me sick: I first thought I got sick from something else I ate along with the Soylent bar. So two days later, I had another Soylent bar for breakfast. That time, I didn’t eat anything else but became very nauseous just an hour after eating the bar. I didn’t vomit that time (thankfully), but I was very nauseous all day.

I don’t have the wrappers from the bars that I think made me sick, but the the box they came in is labeled “BEST BY 1976 14JUL17 0716” (I realize there’s supposed to be a code to the left of that, but on my box there was a mis-print and all I see is “0CAR”) and of the remaining bars , one is labeled “14:39 B.B. 14JUL17 F3 1976” and three are labeled “14:41 B.B. 14JUL17 F3 1976.”

I just sent an email to info@soylent with all the details.

So you aren’t a known person in our community, just an anonymous person who wants to influence us.

3 Likes

I deleted the users account because he is once again side stepping an old ban here as well as several from reddit. I have no problem with this thread. I do have a problem with people side stepping bans for past infractions. I rarely ban. This user will be my second in the two years i’ve been here. I hope my hands off style of moderation speaks for it self in terms of allowing 99.9 percent of conversations to flow. But I don’t tolerate people evading their bans.

8 Likes

The more reports that come in the more I think reporting it to the FDA is a good idea.

I’m going to report my Food Bar and 1.6 experience tonight when I get home.

1 Like

Yes – Agree. The more people that do it the better.

1 Like

Finally FUD for Food.

1 Like

Yes, try to punish the company for the good it has done.

1 Like

I don’t see the connection between making some people physically ill and “good”. While their work in the past has been admirable and the overall concept is sound and clearly beneficial to many, many people there’s clearly a kind of “bug” in the current iteration of their formula(s) for some people. It’s not compatible with some wetware I guess one could say.

I also don’t understand the use of the word “punish” here. Reporting becoming physically ill after consuming their product is somehow punishing RL for prior formulas that did not make people ill? Maybe I just don’t understand. While people becoming ill after eating Soylent products is really inarguably unintentional on RL’s part reporting it could have the effect of preventing others from becoming ill and the FDA could, if they choose, offer investigative assistance to try to find and fix the problem resulting in no more illness so in the long run everyone wins.

2 Likes

I have been a supporter of Soylent from its very inception. I’ve defended them countless times in conversations with friends and acquaintances. Even after having 3 adverse reactions to food bars, I’m still hoping to consume them again once the dust has settled.

So far, we’ve had 9 people come forward on this thread with serious reactions to food bars, and that’s just the ones savvy enough to know about Soylent’s discourse.

There is a problem that needs to be solved. If there is an allergen in the bar, there needs to be a warning, plain and simple. If there is a bug in a batch, it needs to be isolated and fixed. If the bar is sensitive to heat or if the adhesive is coming lose, that needs to be addressed. We need more information on what’s happening here.

Unfortunately I haven’t received a response to my email yet (17 days and counting… any update @Conor ?), and I’m not aware of any confirmation from Soylent that they’re investigating the issue. Everyone reporting a reaction has been encouraged to email Soylent (most, if not all, have done so). I disagree that filing an FDA report is punishment. We’re just trying to figure out how to solve the problem at hand.

How else would you suggest we approach the problem, @geneven ?

1 Like

First of all, The fact that nine names have come forward is not proof that nine people have been affected. It is easy to multiply oneself on the internet, and I have seen some messages that made me suspicious. I believe that we have a real phenomenon here, but how extensive it is remains to be seen. Several of us, me included, have volunteered to taste this stuff and verify that it has the effects claimed, but as far as I know no one has sent or received verification materials; i.e., supposedly tainted foods.

As I mentioned in another message, I have a friend who has suffered very similar symptoms as you have been reporting. But she has not been consuming Soylent at all.

1 Like

I also had serious vomiting and diarrhea several hours after eating a bar from a box labeled BEST BY 1966 14JUL17. Seems to me, this thread is showing that at least this batch is causing problematic adverse reactions for some people. Maybe it’s even a problem with every bar. I’m not gonna be the one to test that though. Done with the bars, maybe with drink 2.0 as well. I haven’t decided on that yet, but I don’t really want to risk having that experience again. Who knows how many are having this issue and not coming forward because they haven’t figured out the cause. I for one will definitely be reporting to the FDA.

1 Like

Which is precisely my argument as to why FDA testing could be helpful. If their testing reveals that nothing is wrong with the bars, then Soylent will be exonerated and we’ll have to look for other causes. If, however, a real issue is identified, then changes will need to be made.

I will not personally be reporting to the FDA, but I certainly won’t discourage anyone affected from doing so. If the extent of communication from Soylent customer support has been “Sorry to hear that; we suggest giving away your bars to someone else,” then I don’t see any other option.

Strictly out of curiosity, I’d love to know how many of the people complaining of nausea from the bars have actually, officially complained to Soylent. My (admittedly biased) guess is that at least a couple of the complainants are sock-puppets who will have a difficult time submitting complaints with unique purchase information.

Until I see something to indicate otherwise, I’m going to assume that if Soylent has received any complaints, they’re investigating the matter.

1 Like

I reported to Soylent with unique purchase information. I contacted the FDA because Soylent seems to be taking a rather casual reaction to a problem that I see as potentially dangerous. I respect the decision of others who have had the reaction to not report, but I feel obligated to do so. In terms of the people “offering” to eat the effected bars to prove that they are fine, forgive me if I would be somewhat skeptical of your ability to report your “scientific results” truthfully. I do not have a vendetta against Soylent, I actually was a big fan of 2.0 and the bars and am sorry that I don’t feel comfortable consuming them anymore. I talk about it in my current events class as an innovative solution to global hunger. But, I am disappointed by the response of Rosa to an issue that it clearly concerning. I am done with this thread now. Peace.

1 Like

I reported to RL and offered several times to mail back the Food Bars I have. They simply said I can have more bars sent or a refund. I chose a refund. They did not want bars returned to them.

1 Like