Nausea With Soy? Differences Between Proteins?

I’ve been using my variant of the hacker school soylent recipe - a few tweaks, and the main difference is I’ve been using 85g whey protein instead of soy protein. The main difficulty I had was feeling hungry between meals. I added 20g coconut flour (for the medium chain triglycerides) and another 10g oil (so oil is now 40g) but I don’t want to increase either of those too much as I’m also trying to lose weight (I’m obese).

Anyway, I just changed half the whey for soy protein and immediately noticed 2 things:

1. Satiety, hurrah!
  2. Nausea.

And btw the taste is nowhere near as good, but I can probably fix that to some extent.

Does anyone else have any experience with nausea with soy?

Can anyone suggest other proteins to try, please, which will increase satiety without inducing nausea? Yes, I can just experiment myself, but I have a low budget so I thought I’d ask for your help.

Come to that, what ARE the different characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of various protein powders?

@professoryackle I am using a mix of rice, pea and soy protein in my mix, slightly more soy than than the rice & pea. I only had some nausea after playing with different oil mixes (flax seed oil seemed to trigger this for me).

Re nausea: One thing to try is just waiting it out. Often our bodies seem to have negative reactions to new soylent recipes or ingredients, which however go away after a bit. Otherwise your body may unfortunately not like that ingredient. You could try a different soy protein powder to see if it’s just that brand or if it’s any soy protein.

Re satiety: Can you link us to the specific whey and soy proteins you are using? The main explanation I can think of would be that the soy protein is more concentrated and so you’re actually getting more protein. Otherwise I’m stumped.

Can anyone suggest other proteins to try, please, which will increase satiety without inducing nausea?

Unfortunately these are both pretty unusual reactions, so I don’t know that there’s much information out there on it. :-/ But maybe somebody else knows something!

Come to that, what ARE the different characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of various protein powders?

The main differences between protein powders are that they have different impurities and additives, different levels of concentration, and different amino acid profiles. Whey protein has one of the best amino acid profiles out there, so it’s unlikely that switching to soy protein would improve anything in connection with that.

Thanks guys.

Yes, I had already experimented with various oils 808, and I tolerate all of them, so it’s really a matter of taste. Hemp is my favourite, so I’m using that atmo. I also have some flax oil lined up (that works for me, too).

Here’s the whey I’m using:
http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/pure-whey-protein.html (£27.09 for 2.5kg)
I notice they do two other wheys - Pure Whey Isolate 90 (£41.49 for 2.5kg) and Pure Whey Isolate 97 (£54.99 for 2.5kg), both of which have higher protein percentages but at a price.

Here’s the soy - Soy protein isolate 90
http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/soya-protein-isolate-90.html (£26.99 for 2.5kg)

So yes, as you suggested nwthomas, it looks like the soy I’m using is higher quality protein than the whey, but at virtually the same price. Not sure if I could afford the higher quality whey… would it definitely increase my satiety if I did?

Doesn’t Rob use soy in his latest recipe?

You could try simply upping the amount of the whey protein you’ve already got, to compensate.

Also note that the protein powder in the Hackerschool recipe is specifically chosen for its vitamin and mineral fortification, have you compensated for that?

If you haven’t already, I’d highly suggest setting up either a spreadsheet (you can copy mine) or a recipe on http://makesoylent.com, so you can make sure you’re getting the right amounts of everything. If you’ve already got one or both of those, share it! There are always people here willing to have a look over your recipe to make sure you haven’t missed anything :smiley:

Also note that the protein powder in the Hackerschool recipe is specifically chosen for its vitamin and mineral fortification, have you compensated for that?

This could be the answer.

So yes, as you suggested nwthomas, it looks like the soy I’m using is higher quality protein than the whey, but at virtually the same price. Not sure if I could afford the higher quality whey… would it definitely increase my satiety if I did?

Well given that the difference is only 8%, I doubt this is the problem. Also the Trader Joe’s protein used in the original H.S. soylent is a protein concentrate, so if you didn’t change the amount of protein you should have been getting enough protein in the first place.

Doesn’t Rob use soy in his latest recipe?

I gather that right now they’re going with rice protein, maybe mixed with pea protein.

Thanks guys.

I made a few changes; I wondered if the nausea could be hyperkalemia, because I’d titrated the potassium gluconate up by 2g a day to 20g. So I knocked it back down to 10g and the nausea went overnight.

Next, I changed the soy/whey ratio to 1/3:2/3. Then I added 2g per portion psyllium husk powder (and since increased it to 3g/portion, i.e. 12g/day.

Still no more nausea, much better satiety, and I like the overall taste of the mix too.

The problem now is that both headaches and tiredness have increased. I seem to have very little energy and keep falling asleep on the couch. The headaches are at least daily and don’t go unless I medicate. Drinking more additional water helps with the headaches, but doesn’t remove them entirely. I used to have occasional headaches and some tiredness before I started Soylent, but nowhere near the levels I’m experiencing now, and it’s definitely getting worse. I would just throw in the towel, but I LIKE Soylent, and and committed to doing this thing.

I’m convinced there is something wrong with my recipe.

I’m a beginner with spreadsheets, although I will have a try at some stage (keeping awake would be a start!)

Here’s my current recipe, per day:-

120g ultra-fine scottish oats
75g brown sugar
65g whey protein
40g hemp oil
30g soy protein isolate 90
25g flaxseed powder
20g cocoa powder
20g coconut flour
15g lecithin granules
12g psyllium husk powder
10g potassium gluconate
3g iodised salt

I also take the following vitamins:

1000g omega 3 fish oil capsule (contains 290mg omega 3 and 3mg vitamin E)
Vitamin K1 tablet 100mcg
Vit C 100mg
Magnesium 300mg
Calcium + Vitamin D (contains 800mg calcium and 5mcg Vitamin D)
Glucosamine Sulphate 2Kcl 1500mg (taken long term for joint problems)
MultiVitamins + Iron (contains Vitamin A 800mcg, Vitamin D 5mcg, Vitamin E 7mg, Vitamin C 80mg, Iron 14mg, Thiamine B1 1.1mg)

Does anyone have any ideas where I’m going wrong? I can see I’m doubling up on both the Vitamin D and Vitamin C.
I’ve only just started taking the Vitamin K since it took a while to find a supplier here in the UK.
The rest, I have no idea.

@professoryackle - did your headaches ease as you increased your potassium gluconate? I was getting some nasty headaches also, but have upped my potassium gluconate to what you had it at (20g) and haven’t had a headache since.

I am not feeling nausea as much anymore, I think it takes a little time for your system to settle down with your mix.

I think it’s reasonably likely that you are not getting a balanced micronutrient intake, and are experiencing deficiencies (and possibly overdoses) in one or more areas. I would recommend that you stop using your soylent, put your ingredients into a spreadsheet on makesoylent.com, and post it here.

@808, my headaches increased as I increased my potassium gluconate, but as I was increasing by 2g/day and had been told to look out for heart palpitations, it didn’t occur to me that it could be the potassium causing the headaches.

It also hit me that the Glucosamine 2KCL does of course contain potassium! I asked the pharmacist whether 1500mg Glucosamine 2KCl means 2 molecules of Potassium Cl per one of Glucosamine, but he didn’t know. He is phoning the manufacturer to find out for me.

So, as an interim measure I have stopped the potassium completely (both potassium gluconate and Glucosamine 2KCl pills). Since then, have had no more headaches. The nausea has settled too, and the tiredness is much less.

I have started having one ‘normal’ meal a day in the interim too.

Meanwhile @nwthomas I am working on a spreadsheet, thanks.