Need an additional/alternate carb source? Maybe you'll find this interesting

Hey there.

I’ve been concocting my own soylent for the better part of 10 months now, and I love it. I’ve been tinkering with my recipe, adjusting according to my needs and just generally bettering it.

Most of my ingredients come from bulkpowders.co.uk, and they launched a new product the other day, Sweet Potato powder. I haven’t tried it yet myself, but I’m going to from next month onwards. Other than being a highly regarded low GI carb source, it contains a bunch of vitamin A and C.

Let me know if you give it a try, and report your opinion :smiley:

I’d add my referral code for the site, but that’s really not the point of this. If you want it, it can be found in the description of my current recipe, which is in my profile. I’m mostly posting this because it’s a fairly new product as far as I know, and you guys might appreciate the heads up.

Potatoes have vitamin a and c? Or is added?

Sweet potatoes definitely contain beta carotene…that is why they are orange.

Can’t get to your recipe from your profile, nor find your recipe by your name.
What’s your recipe’s name?

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/workout-v-3

Sorry, haven’t used these forums much before :slight_smile:

Sweet potatoes contain both, as well as a bunch of other stuff. This powder has nothing added or subtracted besides the water contents. Sweet potatoes naturally contain about 80% water, which in this powder has been removed, which basically means, if you look up the micronutrient content of sweet potatoes, it’ll be the exact same in this powder, but at a 1:5 ratio.

The “nutrition” information on the site did not have actual nutrition facts. I sourced a Sweet Potato Flour this morning and received the spec sheet. I’m concerned about the high sugar content. I will most likely order some for sample to test.

Thank you for bringing this up!

Spec sheet:

There’s a reason they call them “sweet”. You’ll definitely be working from a different carb profile.

Their ratio seems to be 1:5.4 (although I’m not sure how they’ve done that) but it’s pretty close in any case.

Yeah, it does contain sugar, however as it’s uncooked sweet potatoes (I’m planning on testing it myself shortly, and won’t be doing anything to it but adding it as is), it’s still a pretty low GI food. If you cook regular sweet potatoes, the GI score goes up, depending on how you cook it.

I’m not sure how you’re planning on testing it, but personally I’ve considered a mix of ultra fine oats and this. I love trying out new ingredients, though :slight_smile:

man this sounds interesting and pretty creative, i am going to have to look into this more, thanks : ]

I’ve been using sweet potato juice that I make fresh from raw sweet potatoes.

My DIY consists of a vegan protein powder from TrueNutrition.com added to vegetable juice. I ran out of the carb source I’ve been using (ModCarb), so I tried just adding a few sweet potatoes to my juice while I wait for it. TrueNutrition.com also sells sweet potato powder in the US.

I’ve come across a few reports of people surviving solely on sweet potatoes, like nature’s Soylent. They also seem to contain high concentrations of oxalates, which can be a problem for those of us prone to kidney stones, so I’ll probably only use them in a pinch. They seem to add a lot of grit that settles out, but this might not be a problem with powders you buy.

Eventually, I hope to replace the fresh vegetable juices with juice powders, but it’s difficult to source them.