New bottles are too hard to open

1. Yes
  2. A few fixes are coming but all of them will take a few months to hit the consumer. While it sounds like an easy fix it’s very complex because the product is heavily e-commerce so it must arrive at your door in tacked. Additionally we do not own the factories that produce our product so when we test fixes we have limited time to trial changes. If we roll the dice on a production run we could end up with a lot of bottle failing in transit.

Thank you Conor, I feel better knowing this is a work in progress.

Just print wrist exercise instructions on every bottle. Problem solved.

PS: I know of a good wrist exercise or two, if you want any pointers on that front.

:wink:

IMO, every consumer of anything should have on hand:

1. Scissors or knife. (or razorblade)

2. Adjustable wrench.

On many many occasions I have been unable to open an Amazon box because I didn’t have a sharp cutting instrument with me after picking up the mail.

The wrench can be needed if you have products with caps, like Soylent liquid. Even if you have never had problems with caps, you should get an adjustable wrench – for the future!

Also from the AMA ~an hour ago with RR and the new CEO dude (and Conor)

[–]binkleykun [score hidden] an hour ago
Will we get bottles that are easier to open? I know not everyone has this issue but it’s been annoying me for a while…

[–]SoylentCEOVerified[S] [score hidden] an hour ago
Food safety and ensuring a quality seal is our top priority. We are working on a few different solutions but don’t have this one solved yet.

Also due to rapid growth, expect to see Soylent in different bottle types in the future.

-Bryan and Rob

[–]bbqturtle [score hidden] an hour ago
You could throw a little bottle opener helper in everyone’s first order. Probably get it sourced for less than 10c each! https://i.imgur.com/UJj2jzY.png

[–]SoylentconorSoylent [score hidden] an hour ago
We are exploring this option.

[–]andymcb1 [score hidden] an hour ago
Can you expand a little more on ‘bottle types’. Do you mean maybe something like a cardboard beverage box that I see juice come in?

[–]SoylentconorSoylent [score hidden] an hour ago
I’ll add some more clarity, we have a fantastic product team and they are constantly tinker with a multitude of materials. The bottling process that allows our Drinks to have such a long life span is intense so at times we have to wait for packaging technology to catch up to us. For example biodegradable bottles.

[–]andymcb1 [score hidden] 59 minutes ago
OK sounds great. I wonder what that would mean for preppers (I’m not sure if people are buying Drink with the intent to store it for 10-20 years, but you never know).

[–]SoylentconorSoylent [score hidden] 54 minutes ago
The issue with a nutritionally complete product suited for preppers who that you would have to overload on vitamins to account for degradation. This would probably make for a poor product if consumed after production. Additionally the flavor would probably suffer greatly due to all the added nutrients.

[–]andymcb1 [score hidden] 46 minutes ago
I guess they’ll have to live with tinned food in the new life.

[–]SoylentconorSoylent [score hidden] 45 minutes ago
Hydroponics!!! :herb::seedling:

Bottles way too hard to open
Sharp Edges on New Bottles

The outright difficulty of opening these (often on the go and without additional equipment, such as a jar opener or wrench) combined with the shredded plastic bits ( New bottle tops leaving behind plastic bits ) has me in Soylent limbo.

I loved the bottles for their ease and convenience - but these bottles are neither easy or convenient but they are a possible safety hazard. I for one will not re-order until this is fixed.

I actually keep a pair of pliers in my kitchen for this exact purpose. I’ve found that this works pretty well, though it took a little bit of practice to get the process down pat (my pliers are pretty small so it’s important to make sure to get as wide a grip as possible and squeeze really hard so that it doesn’t just scrape the ridges of the bottlecap).

@Andrew_Hung

While I definitely appreciate your reply, I don’t find having a bottle that requires a pair of pliers to open it “easy or convenient” particularly if I’m having to carry the soylent in an already heavy backpack

In addition, I suspect that having to use a pair of pliers to open the bottle will only lead to more plastic bits in the opened Solyent.

I agree that it’s silly I have to do this - just sharing what has worked for me.

Send me your hardest bottle to open, and I’ll do it with 2 fingers. Buncha wussies.

(but seriously, send them to me)

Yeah, I kinda hate the plastic wrap. But I just received a mixed Cafe box and there’s no wrap on them. Yay!

I think most people are complaining about the new caps. The plastic wrap was super easy to remove; just press thumb into the groove between bottle and cap, then turn the bottle. Then you could just peel it off and easily open the cap. The new caps are sealed by superhuman strength (at least the ones I’ve received). We broke a bottle opening device trying to open them, and one bottle slipped as the cap finally broke free, exploding across my kitchen. Fun stuff.

I just bang them cap down on something hard like the floor and then they twist off pretty easily

I have very easily opened. All but one)))

People who think they are fairly easy to open just haven’t encountered the really tough ones! :slight_smile:

I’ve “very easily” opened all the bottles also, but I will reiterate that the new bottles are noticeably more difficult to open than the older style, so I do find it conceivable that certain subsets of the Soylent community may have varying degrees of difficulty with them.

Side note(s) - My 72 year old father, whose [naturally in shape] body and strength has somehow remained unchanged since his 40s, has zero problems opening the bottles from the four boxes of Coffiest I gave him. He basically somehow fits in to the same subset as me: youngish (I’m 33), naturally lean/tone/athletic male body type, with at least average natural strength.

My 63 year old mother suffering from many complications due to Lupus will never be able to open the current bottles. My 46 year old [half] sister (mother’s side), who also has an autoimmune issue combined with terrible tendinitis might be able to open one depending on the day but it hurts like hell and would prefer to have someone else do it.

It is conceivable that you didn’t get any of the hard-to-open ones.

lol wut? I said the new bottles are noticeably more difficult to open than the older ones. I recognize that, even though I personally don’t have a hard time opening them.

How often are you getting these special bottles that are even more difficult to open?

Every 1000 bottles Rob uses Gorilla glue to keep a golden ticket in. Factor in lack of opposable thumbs and the whole idea goes to hell. :weary::+1:t4::us::canada::fire::four_leaf_clover: