New bottles are too hard to open

I find that the new bottles stay closed way too easy.

Same with my mom! I just got her excited to start Soylent but her carpel tunnel and arthritis makes it impossible for her to open the bottles. It even hurts my hands, the hands of a strong 30 year old guy. Please make the caps easier to open!

I thought you had switched to fast food?

I did, ever since they switched to square bottles they don’t roll as fast and I’m all about speed, baby!

I think smeggot is funny.

His jokes, that is.

I have been having the same problems. Can not get the cacao bottles to open at all. I am a woman with smaller than normal hands, but I’m not weak by any means. I hope Soylent is listening and fixes this issue or someone has a trick.

Same problem here. The twist off caps on the last few shipments of Cafe Coffiest have been very, very hard too open. When I finally get the bottle open the bottle/label is twisted.

Seems the tamper proof top is almost drink proof. Having to use a tool to open this is a little excessive!

An adjustable wrench, the same kind you might use for fixing a vehicle, works well and should be available cheaply. It just has to fit the cap.

THIS.

The new bottles are way too difficult to open. The plastic labeling moving around makes everything much worse, too.

I opened a bottle a few minutes ago and my fingers still have the cap design indented upon them.

I shouldn’t have to buy a gadget (wrench, jar opener, silicone pad, etc.) to open a plastic bottle of soylent.

Agreed, you shouldn’t. So if you’d rather damage your fingers, do that! I’m sure the problem will eventually be fixed, and if you don’t want to wait, don’t wait!

I just glue a bottle to the Earth & use the Canadarm from the ISS to grip the cap; the Earth’s rotation easily opens the bottle that way.

All well and good for you northerners, doesn’t work the same for those of us nearer the equator…

I also find the new bottles hard to open. I have an arm injury and I can feel fine (i.e its recovering) all day until I open a bottle of soylent. My arm then feels inflamed and painful for the rest of the day :confused:

Agreed. The new bottles suck. Yes it’s a little whiny; grabbing a towel or something helps twist them off and it’s not a super big deal. But how did they even get to production with these? Did Soylent execs not try them personally? The first box I figured it was me. But it’s the bottles. They suck.

For most healthy individuals the difficult to open bottles are annoying, still the difficulty is sufficient to inspire numerous complaints on the message board.
Writing on behalf of the disabled Soylent user in my household, she can no longer open the bottles on her own. If I travel, she needs an alternative … maybe will buy ensure instead :frowning:

My two questions for the Soylent team are:

1. Is the issue of “New bottles are difficult to open” acknowledged/logged as a complaint?
  2. What is the timeline for a fix?

Thank you,

Lisa

1. Yes
  2. A few fixes are coming but all of them will take a few months to hit the consumer. While it sounds like an easy fix it’s very complex because the product is heavily e-commerce so it must arrive at your door in tacked. Additionally we do not own the factories that produce our product so when we test fixes we have limited time to trial changes. If we roll the dice on a production run we could end up with a lot of bottle failing in transit.

Thank you Conor, I feel better knowing this is a work in progress.

Just print wrist exercise instructions on every bottle. Problem solved.

PS: I know of a good wrist exercise or two, if you want any pointers on that front.

:wink:

IMO, every consumer of anything should have on hand:

1. Scissors or knife. (or razorblade)

2. Adjustable wrench.

On many many occasions I have been unable to open an Amazon box because I didn’t have a sharp cutting instrument with me after picking up the mail.

The wrench can be needed if you have products with caps, like Soylent liquid. Even if you have never had problems with caps, you should get an adjustable wrench – for the future!