New Competitor - Ample

Got an ad for it in my Facebook feed.

Yes, I just took a peek at it last night. From what little I seen of it the cost was pretty high and only seen the video of the owner saying “it tastes good”. I also prefer to see actual reviews before spending my money…:smile:

WOWWW that is interesting.

Q. If Ample has all my nutrients, Couldn’t I just eat it for every meal?

A.
Though technically you could, we’re not here to replace your salads. Eating with other people is important for our psyches, so the added efficiency gained from zero communal eating would likely be overpowered by the damage to your mental health. Additionally, varying your diet with other foods plays important to a healthy gut microbiome. Ideally, eat real healthy food for at least half (or more) of your calories, and save Ample for the 1-2 meals when nutritious cooking is just unfeasible.

At 5.68 per 400 calories, I think I will pass! At that price I would just cook some food and pack a leftover lunch. :grin:

$6000 for a “lifetime” supply of two Ample meals a day for how long? Will the company still be around in a year or two? It also doesn’t seem to specify whether the two meals a day are the 400 or 600-calorie meal size. $6000 would buy 1,555,556 calories of Soylent 1.5 or 993,103 calories of 2.0. At two 400-calorie meals a day, the company would need to deliver for at least 1,241 (vs. 2.0) or 1,944 (vs. 1.5) days for you to break even. That’s 5.3 years for Soylent 1.5 or 3.4 years of Soylent 2.0. At two 600-calorie meals a day, it becomes 1,296 days of Soylent 1.5 or 828 days of Soylent 2.0. That’s still 3.5 years of Soylent 1.5 or 2.3 years of Soylent 2.0.

tl;dr: this might be a good deal if you both like Ample (the product’s taste, etc.) and the company delivers for a minimum of 2.3-5.3 years. That’s assuming you’ve got $6000 to drop and nothing to spend it on or invest it in (which, to be fair, some people do!).

IMO, it’s absolutely not worth the risk.

Also, please correct my math if I made an error. I didn’t really double check anything. :grin:

Yep! That’s why I said “interesting” not “a great investment” lol. I think it’s crazy that that’s something the company thought to offer. Yeah it’s a huge risk. They aren’t even in the shipping phase yet. Company could be gone in a year.

I have noticed more commercials for products such as Ensure and SlimFast lately. Maybe they are reacting to increased pressure from alternative nutritional products such as Soylent. Soylent’s consistent emphasis on cutting-edge research will prevent competitors from imitating it out of business.

Part of that answer is something I see again and again that bugs me. It’s the bit about communal eating. There exists this strongly held idea that Ample or Soylent or whatever must be eaten alone and other food will necessarily be eaten with other people and thus the latter is more social. This makes no sense. What you’re eating is what you’re eating and whether you’re alone when you’re eating it is a separate issue.

I think this is awesome and hopefully the price pushes down into the Soylent range eventually. More competition can only make things better! Maybe Ample won’t send out moldy expired food too :slight_smile:

It is based on the urban myth that we typically all eat the same meals together. I’m not sure when that stopped being true, but how often do you go into a restaurant and everyone orders the same thing? Not often. I think that customized meals and special diets are very common now, even at home. Stand in line at Starbucks and see what happened to that communal cup of coffee.

It’s also assuming that for those years you’re only intending to eat 2 Ample meals a day. Otherwise you’re on the hook for paying for any additional meals you don’t want to cook.

Did you calculate the # of years based on 2 bottles (unknown # of cals) per day? I should be able to math, but frankly I’m too tired to work it out myself.

I calculated how much Soylent you could purchase for $6000, and then calculated how many years of either 400 or 600-calorie servings of Ample it would take before the lifetime subscription “paid for itself,” assuming 1 calorie of Ample is equal to 1 calorie of Soylent.

"But then my buddy Jason says, “Dude, Connor, I don’t want more work to do. Please, just give me a solution.”

I can see why they disabled the youtube comments. :smile:

Another manufacturer touting ‘no GMOs’ and ‘organic’ as if those are good things. No thanks. Just looks like a Soylent for hipsters.

I think that would be a cool idea, and cut down on shipping weight. Mixing needs to be better though. I find it’s (1.5) clumpy without a blender.

I’m not sure what hipsters are exactly, but it seems (from context) to refer to people who have time to worry about pointless non-issues.

OMG I was called a vegan hipster the other day. The husband of a friend of mine accused me of fat/food shaming because I was constantly talking about Soylent.

I eat a lot of things:

Homemade Pizza, homemade sauce, homemade dough - on a pizza stone. There are pepperonis in there, promise! 211 calories per slice.

/end rant

Really? Seems like most hipster foodie sites complain about Soylent because they think it’s not natural (I mean, just look at the ridiculous comment section of those sites). Soylent users seem to be mostly from computer science or engineering backgrounds (or anyone in a career/interest that deals with max efficiency), which seems pretty far from the hipster stereotype.

If your in silicon valley, Austin or Portland - Computer Science engineers are hipsters. lol! :wink:

By definition, we are eating processed food. One could argue that, in fact; we are not eating processed food but the ultimate form of deconstructed food.

Most nutritionist who don’t have first hand insight to Soylent will say that people should stick to “natural” foods, simply because they aren’t familiar with the product or people that have lived off the product.