New fridge for Soylent 2.0!

I started my first month 100% soylent and I wanted to get rid of the old fridge and get a new one to just cool the bottles (that’s all I need now). I searched online and in store and I found the Koolatron BC-46SS to be the best. Around $100. It works perfectly and the size couldn’t be better. The bottles fit right in place, like it was designed for Soylent :smile:

Soylent 2.0 bottle dimensions?

$142 on Amazon. Did you find a better price somewhere?

I’m in Canada. I bought it at Walmart for $125 Canadians, that is less that $100 USD. They also had it at good price at Home Depot, so check those two places.

[quote=“macrojd, post:1, topic:23985”]
The bottles fit right in place, like it was designed for Soylent :smile: [/quote]

“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, ‘This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn’t it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!’” - Douglas Adams

Jeez, $125 AND Canadians, stuff got expensive up there eh?

Yes and no. It depends. In my case is great because I make my living in USD and pay my rent in CAD (and the rent didn’t change much since the dollars were 1-1). I haven’t seen increase in the price of food either, and electronics some times are more expensive some times are less (I have no idea why :smile: ). The major problem is not the exchange rate but the housing market. In Toronto there are no houses for less than $600,000.

OH. That… thats quite a bit of cheese buddy. Are they at least nice houses?

lol, I have that exact same fridge, except in white.

Bought for $60 at Target.

haha awesome! I was expecting to find better prices in the US. All in all it looks like a great fridge. Although I found some negative reviews on Amazon, they didn’t make any sense to me, and all the reviews in Canada are 5 stars.

You tried Soylent 2.0 and got rid of your fridge? Wow, that’s committment!

I tried just a 12 pack, and it was amazing. The 4 or 5 days I had to wait for my subscription were a nightmare. I got to a point that I was wondering if they put cocaine in the bottles, because I was hating every byte of food like never before and craving soylent like crazy.

But there are some “Buts”. I always hated food. Like 20 years ago I remember telling my nephew: I hope I had the chance to plug myself to the wall and get the energy I need from electricity instead of having to eat. So for me, this is something I have been waiting all my life. The second “but” is that I have digestive problems since almost two decades ago and therefore I had to reduced my diet drastically, which means that I couldn’t get proper nutrition. Soylent seems to solve all my IBS and intolerance symptoms.

Maybe I have to switch to another brand later, but now that these foods are available, I never go back :smile:

That fridge isn’t even big enough to chill my Tuesday beers.

My mini-fridge looks almost exactly the same, except it’s a “Haier” and it doesn’t have a freezer temperature knob. (I’m jealous of that, I’d love to disable the freezer on mine.) It’s also got a nifty inspection sticker from my employer, since I keep it under my desk at work.

I don’t remember where I got it, it might have been Target. I remember even less what I paid for it.

BTW, a bottle of Soylent fits perfectly on its side in the door’s top shelf. I also lay a few side-by-side on the top interior shelf.

Rob got rid of his fridge too, and one of his reasons was actually his own personal war on refrigeration (its a big chunk of the worlds energy right now). There’s a device that was shown on the forums a long time ago that would instant-chill drinks like a reverse microwave. I wish the same could be done for fruit and veggies but unfortunately they have to be refrigerated from the moment you buy them. And meat and dairy definitely wouldn’t last long without a fridge. So far all I know this device can work for is drinks but maybe I’m missing some items.

I’m really looking forward to the proliferation of cheap, mass produced drones (and the corresponding batteries). I know this kind of cancels out the efficiency of soylent, but I’ve always dreamed of being able to walk across the planet without anything on my back or in my pockets. I think mass production of goods and buildings (relative to today) is going to lure a lot of people back into nomadic lifestyles. We were nomadic for most of our evolution and I won’t pretend conditions were better back then, but part of us must miss the mystery of day-to-day life too.

One of the things I loved about this fridge is the extremely low energy consumption. According to a pamphlet from the US energy department that comes with the fridge, the total consumption is $25 per year! If I were living in a house, I could put it on a solar panel network without even think about it :smile:

Edited: I always considered myself a person that feels better settling in one place, but I’ve been moving around for the last 10 years and I realized how great a nomadic life is. I still need to stay in a place for a few years, but love to move. You learn so much and your mind expands like crazy.

That is very impressive, even for a mini-fridge. I just bought a monster TV that apparently only uses $20 of energy a year even under heavy use. I’m already guilty though so I keep it in a low-light area of the house to keep the brightness on minimum.

I think a big part of people preferring permanent nests is just the “personal preferences” element. Whether you’re in a vacation home, hotel or cruise ship, your familiar view and how things are arranged is just so different. I think when this can be reconciled, for example like the ultra-futuristic room in Cloud Atlas, people will jump at the opportunity to be in constant motion. Long before that movie came out, I had dreams of homes and apartments that shapeshift to the user’s needs. Rooms move like the staircases in the Harry Potter movies, furniture and decorations pop out of the walls when needed etc. This all kind of flies in the face of Soylent’s mission of doing more with less, but I think if anything this product is an indication of our modern energy problem. I hope the average person will be able to live extravagantly in the future without feeling like a destructive force of nature.

Half-baked idea fresh from the half-bakery: duct and filter outside air into the refrigerator compartment when outside air temp < inside air temp. In a similar vein, why aren’t data centers being built in the arctic circle?

[quote=“nutrisludge, post:16, topic:23985, full:true”]
Half-baked idea fresh from the half-bakery: duct and filter outside air into the refrigerator compartment when outside air temp < inside air temp. [/quote]

In some climates, people would have a little cage hanging just outside a window, to keep some of their food cooler.

Labor costs, probably. Even if the data center doesn’t need many employees, you’re going to have to get a bunch of people up there to build it.

On the other hand, we might consider that an option when nitrogen and helium (and other coolants) start getting pricey. Then again maybe global warming will beat us to that point.

Man science is depressing sometimes.

Excellent point. Arctic construction is a very expensive endeavor.

There’s no internet backbone thru the arctic in the first place. That would be a massive cost to build; the cost for making a data centre there would be a fraction of that.