New Order of Original Soylent is Making Me Sick

Hi all –
Longtime Soylent drinker, first time poster here. I’ve been drinking Soylent for the past couple of years pretty regularly and love it as a meal replacement. Unfortunately, I just received a shipment of Original Soylent and it’s making me sick. The taste is very different than what I’m accustomed to (which I find unpleasant since I have typically gone to original Soylent for the neutral not-sweet taste) but worse, I’m experiencing sever stomach pain after drinking it. I just drank my third bottle from the recent shipment and for the third time experienced severe stomach pain after consumption. I’m not sure if there is something specifically wrong with order or if it’s an issue with the change in formula but I was wondering if other people are experiencing this issue. While I don’t like the flavor change I’d be up for trying to adapt, though I don’t think that I can keep drinking something that causes this kind of gastrointestinal pain.

1 Like

Your order is probably the new ‘optimized’ formula. You can tell by how much sugar is in it. the 2.0 version had 9g sugar and the new Optimized has 1g of sugar but they added something else to add back the sweetness.

We now use allulose in our drinks, a carbohydrate naturally found in some foods that maintains the low glycemic index of our products. The body absorbs allulose, but it is not metabolized like other carbohydrates, so it is virtually calorie-free. It also has little to no effect on blood glucose or insulin levels and even lowers our body’s glycemic response to other carbs.

I just received some of the same and I think it is too sweet. I’m also wondering if I’ll be able to continue drinking it after drinking about 3 a day for the past several years.

I found an article that says:

There was one human study with 30 participants whose goal was to determine if there would be any gastrointestinal side effects, as none were noted elsewhere. The study found that for adults with a mean body weight of 132 pounds, up to 54 grams can be consumed daily without any side effects. For reference: One packet of sugar is 4 grams. Consuming more than 54 grams of allulose per day may cause digestive issues, such as bloating, gas and abdominal pain.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/articles/is-allulose-safe

They are making this change to all of their drinks but I don’t know if in the flavored versions the flavor will mask the extra sweetness. But the flavored version all cost more so not a great option.