New Soylent Feedback category

There are ways to get the proteins required from grains you just have to mix them. Our concern now is the PDCAA’s of the rice protein.

Whey is a better protein overall. The rice protein can be fortified if it is mixed with other proteins, but the Soylent recipe only refers to rice protein rather than a mix.

Some of us are a little concerned and eagerly awaiting a response.

The spreadsheet has a calculation for amount of protein needed to be >RDA for all 9 essential amino acids. By the raw numbers, Rice meets this level at 67 grams, while whey meets it at 63 grams. (columns L->W)

However, because rice concentrate has a PDCAA score of 0.55, that 67 grams needed is probably closer to 67grams/0.55 PDCAA score = 121.8 grams.

Oh… so that’s what “x” “y” and “z” mean… How did you calculate that?

My understanding of PDCAA score is that it also incorporates the limiting amino acid calculation, so with a PDCAA of 0.55: Yes, you’ll need to consume almost twice as much 1.0/0.55) rice protein to get enough of the first most limiting essential amino acid (which in rice is Lysine). This does not seem cost efficient; you’ll need to use more protein powder in the mix to get enough of all 9 essential amino acids.

Formulas are right there in the spreadsheet.

I got the amount of each amino acid in 100g of the protein according to the nutritional facts.
I got the amount of amino acids needed from the World Health Organization Protein requirements report (linked in the spreadsheet).

Than it’s 100g * X (some factor). I picked some X that met all the Amino acid >RDA = TRUE.

X * 100 = how many grams you need to meet all RDA specs.

Thanks for the explanation… I wasn’t clear how you calculated the 0.63, 0.915, and 0.67 values,
but now I see its the proportion of 100g protein you need to get the minimum grams of the limiting essential amino acid (compared to the RDA).

@JulioMiles - all other formula discussions aside, if this does trigger an allergic reaction because of the rice protein, will we be able to send it back for a replacement with a formula that does not contain the allergen? Alternately what will the refund policy on it be? I know it’s a bit early on to consider that just from the original funding project, but grains are typically a LOT more inflammatory than animal protiens so I’m not sure how this would be less inflammatory, and also rice is such a common allergen that I’m very concerned at this point that I won’t be able to use Soylent… :*( How will this be addressed please?

Thank you so much for your time! :o)

@Lisa, we’ll be publishing the final ingredients list well before we begin shipping Soylent, so backers will have plenty of time to examine it for substances to which they are allergic. We will be happy to refund orders at that time, and obviously we strongly discourage people from trying Soylent if it contains an allergen to which they have a known reaction.

We won’t have the capacity for custom formulas for awhile, so the best we’ll be able to offer is a refund, not a replacement formula.

Is there going to be an easy way to do this with the bought Soylent, or would we buy our own supplements, or is this advice aimed solely at DIYers? I get the impression that Soylent will ship ready-mixed, and so the amounts of things would be hard to adjust.

@JulioMiles Thank you so much for the response!! To be honest I’d much rather try the Soylent than get a refund - I really think this is a great venture and believe in the concept of it!! Is there any chance left that the rice protein will be left out of the final formula, considering all the posts throughout the forum raising so many concerns about it versus the whey or other plant based ones like blends of pea and hemp proteins for example? (just holding out some hope here!!) :smiley:

Thank you again so much for your response and your time!! :sunny:

Folks, can somebody point to optimal ratio of rice/pea proteins in the mix? Is it 1:1 or something else?

I hope Soylent dies a quick and painless death.

And can we know why?

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you on the rice protein. I think its fine.

But i would like to make a small modification to what you said. '‘Nutrition without ‘issues’’ should come first as a goal for soylent. Everything else later and not at the cost of this objective.

Seems like an awful lot of packaging for a 1 month supply. Maybe bigger pouches or jars to reduce packaging for 1 month supplies.

Other than that, love the stuff. Thanks.

One thing I really don’t understand about Soylent 2.0 packaging is:

The whole product you guys developed is really trying to cut down on user friction.

Having a plastic wrap instead of just a twist off cap is directly in contradiction to this.
moving from 2.0 from 1.5 is life changing - 95% less time spent. But having a twist off cap is a 99% time reduction compared to having the plastic wrap - and also I won’t have to be next to a garbage can just to open a bottle.