New study shows that long-term use of artificial sweeteners can increase appetite

After chronic exposure to a diet that contained the artificial sweetener sucralose, we saw that animals began eating a lot more," said lead researcher Associate Professor Greg Neely from the University of Sydney’s Faculty of Science.

Read the article here: Why artificial sweeteners can increase appetite.

EDIT: Full paper here: http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdf/S1550-4131(16)30296-0.pdf

The increased appetite effect has been observed in fruit flies and mice. Has anyone consuming Soylent for over a year noticed an increased appetite overall?

I’m also curious about what the threshold for any such effect would be in humans. Perhaps Soylent’s sucralose levels are low enough not to cause any issues.

Looks like the full text is behind a paywall: Sucralose Promotes Food Intake through NPY and a Neuronal Fasting Response.

Sadly there’s not enough information in the article to tell us much of anything. :disappointed:

[quote=“Raylingh, post:1, topic:25804”]I’m also curious about what the threshold for any such effect would be in humans.[/quote]That’s assuming there’s any at all. There’s quite a few differences between humans and mice and even more so for fruit flies.

But it is probably worth looking into.

I’ve added a link to the full paper in the OP. http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdf/S1550-4131(16)30296-0.pdf

Your best diet might depend on your genetics

And what might cause problems for one person may not cause any for another.

“There is an overgeneralization of health benefits or risks tied to certain diets,” said William Barrington, Ph.D., a researcher from North Carolina State University who conducted this work in the laboratory of David Threadgill, Ph.D., at Texas A&M University. “Our study showed that the impact of the diet is likely dependent on the genetic composition of the individual eating the diet, meaning that different individuals have different optimal diets.”

The Western diet and the ketogenic diet, which are both high in fat, showed opposite responses for two strains of mice. For one strain, the researchers observed very negative health effects on the Western diet, including increased obesity and fatty liver disease, but saw no negative health effects when this strain ate the high fat, low carb ketogenic diet. On the other hand, a different strain of mice had increased obesity and signs of metabolic syndrome on the ketogenic diet but was much healthier on the Western diet.

I have noticed my appetite increase slightly and I’m now consuming over 2,000 calories a day. Which is a good thing