New to Soylent, very confused

Hello everyone,

I’d love to get started using Soylent as soon as possible. I’m a 27 year old male, 340 pounds, 5’11". I walk a mile every day on a treadmill, as well as walk quite a bit at work. I tried to create a nutrition profile, however it is asking me to base my profile off of another profile. I’m incredibly confused at all of the nutrition profiles out there and don’t have the slightest idea about what’s “right” and what’s “wrong” because everyone has something to say on the topic.

Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction as far as a recipe goes that can help me to lose weight? I don’t care if it’s a steady weight loss or a quick weight loss, but I’d like to have something that I can jump into quickly. Also, the cost is a major factor as well, and I’d prefer to keep it as cheap as possible.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

I forgot to add that when using the Nutrition Profile Calculator, it told me the following:

Result: 2720 Calories per day

Using this information:

Carbohydrate Protein Fat
50% 25% 25%
1360 cals 680 cals 680 cals
340 g 170 g 76 g

Hopefully that’ll help…

I started with this: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/people-chow-301-tortilla-perfection back in mid January, I ended up cutting the corn flour to reduce the calories (and because it was difficult to eat that much a day). You can read about my experience thus far on MaxK’s blog http://www.people-chow.com/

As for the nutrient profile, usually you’re going to base it off the “U.S. government DRI, male 19-50, 2000 calories” unless you have reason to use something else, which eventually you may.

I vote for http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/people-chow-301-tortilla-perfection as well. I’m not sure if this is the best for weight loss, but it looks pretty good.

I started with the ingredients and am tweaking them a bit now. I’m getting the protein from Costco (12lb at a time). Get you masa local. I’m getting it at Walmart grocery and 4.4lb costs me $2.88 or $2.38 for knock off brand. I couldn’t tell the difference in taste or texture. I found the GNC Mega Man Sport in the store for discount because it was 6 months or so before it’s go bad date. I am thinking about changing the oil but haven’t looked at it yet. Be careful if you go with the Amazon 30oz bottle, they charge you $11 to ship the $7 bottle. I set up an Amazon subscription for the smaller bottles so pay no shipping. With all of that I’m just under $5 a day.

Something to bear in mind: Most calorie calculators are looking to determine your basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories your body will burn to do things like keep your organs functioning, your brain fueled, and your body temperature up.

The more you weigh, the higher your basal metabolic rate - there’s more of you to maintain and keep warm, etc.

Realistically, if you want to drop weight, a 2700 calorie/day diet is more than you need. I’m not quite sure how it works on a major weight-loss project, but you can probably work up to a 1000kcal/day deficit if you taper into it over a few weeks to give your body time to adapt. That means you’d be losing ~2lb/week or so. 1lb/week is a more general goal, but I suspect that for someone with significantly more weight to lose than the average dieter, you could get away with it.

To be honest, most calculators put my sedentary BMR far too high. Maybe I just have an inordinately efficient metabolism (I do tend to run cool), but shorting 1200+ Calories a day from these calculated figures barely does anything for me, weight loss wise.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I definitely appreciate it. :slight_smile: I’ll check out the tortilla perfection recipe and see if it’ll be worth diving in to until the official soylent product is released. :smile:

hey undead,
Personally I’m a fan of the very low carb/keto soylents, and they’re especially good for weight loss. But you don’t have to go all out to benefit from lower carbs; 50/25/25 is a pretty insane carb intake imho, and tons of evidence says you’ll stall in your weight loss a few weeks into such a diet, despite any calorie deficit. Using tortilla perfection as a starting point, since people seem to like it, you might consider getting all of your deficit from a reduction in carbs. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

I’ll second @luisrayas3 in saying that the 50/20/30 ratio of Tortilla Perfection is way too many carbs (at least for my metabolism) and that you might be better off trying a more moderate mix like my Ax Chow which is a 35/25/40 variant of Tortilla Perfection.

Thirded.

My mix is closer to 25:25:50 instead, and it works just find for my purposes. I might switch that around even further as I swap my oat flour for soy.

I may as well throw in as a fourth. I’m currently at 40.20.40, but have been thinking about, thinking about going to a keto recipe. Just haven’t really researched it yet.

@undeadcircus – I just want to echo @luisrayas3 suggestion that a low-carb / keto recipe may be a better choice if you’re looking to lose a lot of weight. And part of the advantage of DIY is that you don’t have to accept some default recommendation for the macronutrient ratio.

If you’re interested, I highly recommend checking out the following calculator and running some numbers – it’s the best I’ve seen: