New User General Health

Not sure which category to post for this, so, sorry if it’s the wrong location. I’m a new user and just want to clear up some minor concerns.

My general level of health isn’t the best and my diet over the last few years has been abysmal at best. I am somewhat fit as my job as a laborer keeps me moving(though I have a lot of off time). I really enjoy the idea behind Soylent and am stoked to be able to actually start using it. I just want to make sure my body can handle it.

Considering my extremely poor diet prior and rather sedentary lifestyle, what kind of risks do some of the ingredients pose? I’ve found that maltodextrin can cause spikes in blood sugar(of which I suspect mine may already be a bit high). I noticed in a few threads here there were some raising concerns of risk to diabetic and pre-diabetic individuals? Is this the case with the newer versions?

I have not had a physical and full check up in awhile and plan to do so soon. What kind of conditions associated with the factors I mentioned should I look for as not being compatible with the Soylent program? I have the version 1.3 and am only two days in, having used it for roughly 80% of my daily meals. There have been no real gastric issues but I have noticed more frequent urination and some minor pain in my lower rear side that didn’t last long, I assume was some small bouts with the gas.

Thanks to all for any responses and thanks be to the Soylent team. I look forward to hopefully eating healthier with the help of your product.

Simply having a labor job, even part time, will likely make you less sedentary than many here.

You sound like a pretty typical use case to me. It also looks like you’ve done your homework, and have mostly answered your own questions… You’re aware of the possible gas and blood sugar spikes, just keep an eye on things…

You’re already a couple of days in, so if you haven’t had an issue with potassium (headaches from increasing daily intake too quickly) you likely won’t, so you may have been getting a sufficient amount before, or have better tolerance than some.

Depending on what other foods you will be eating you may need to add salt, a scant 1/4 tsp, to bring the mix up to RDA. If you expect to eat salty foods/snacks though there’s no need to add salt.

Don’t forget to drink some water in addition to Soylent, some have experienced dehydration from expecting their daily water needs were met with just Soylent, but most will need more water.

Hope this helps, Soylent on.

Assuming you have no medical issues then Soylent is just fine. I would wait for a positive diagnosis of diabetes before worrying about it. You can “what if” yourself crazy in the absence of real information. Kidney problems can make the potassium level in Soylent a problem. Again wait for a diagnosis from an actual doctor before taking action.

Welcome to @Soylent. I have been consuming every iteration of Soylent from beta .6 to just having finished off my first pitcher of 1.3. I do not have diabetes or kidney disease. I do have moderate hypertension (high blood pressure) and take a very low dose med. I’m female 63 and overweight.(hence the b/p issue). I’ve never experienced any blood sugar spike. I actually ran serial testing for a few days as a favor to the Soylent team. I tested before, then at 15-30 minute intervals for 4 hours. The curve was exactly what I expected. And no different than when I have a burger and fries. As @horsfield said unless you have a confirmed diagnosis you should have no issues consuming Soylent for part or all of your diet.

The advice you would have gotten would be to slowly ramp up, instead of going 80% in your first two days.

Apart from that, and making sure to drink water when not having soylent, you’re probably fine.

I feel that drinking fluids leads to urination more quickly for me when I’m on Soylent or fasting than when I’m on solid food. I suspect fluids “go through me” quicker, and that solid foods do a better job of slowing things down. That’s not necessarily a problem, but it probably means you should drink less at a time, and more often, to stay well-hydrated - especially if your job makes you sweat.