Newbie: Help with my muscle building recipe

Hi Soylent community, I just wanted to thank you all for being awesome, I am very excited to see how Soylent develops over the next few years.

I was hoping someone could also help me with my formula and tell me what they think of it so far? Suggestions? Corrections? Etc.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/cheap-healthy-muscles

Thanks a bunch,

–Shawn

First some questions to clarify where you’re coming from and where you’re going…

What is your height, weight age and approximate bodyfat or recent photo? What is your level of strength training experience? What level and type of activity do you plan to execute while using this recipe? If you were to put numbers on your goal weight and bodyfat what would it be (eventually when is a good question to answer as well)? How do you plan to measure progress?

Hi Thanks for your help.

I currently weigh about 180-185 pounds. I’m very skinny. I used the Rob R. recommendation for 5 days a week of exercise. I am going to start on Soylent and work out for 1-3 hours per day for 6 days a week and my goals is to gain weight from muscle mass.

I my goal weight is whatever it takes to get my body into shape and looking good. I haven’t thought of any exact numbers but I am fairly new to the fitness world. I did insanity for 4 months and finished it pretty well. However, I am looking to bulk up this time around. I would like to dedicate the next year and beyond for my fitness goals.

I need a soylent formula that will help me build muscles and gain muscle weight. I added Creatin to the formula to help with that.

Also, I am currently very out of shape and have not worked out in over 6 months.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am currently 27 years old at 6 foot 2 inches.

I thought I read a bunch of negative things in regards to wheat protein awhile back even though it is a cheap source.

I think the biggest stigma about wheat protein is that it’s pure gluten, and the obsession society currently has with gluten-free foods.

Also wheat protein is incomplete:

OP, you shouldn’t rely on wheat protein. There was talk about combining whey and wheat (50:50 split). But otherwise, you’ll missing out on some (at least one) essentials.

@isaackotlicky you might want to take a look at this.

I absolutely agree with @cheapskate88 regarding the wheat protein, it is an incomplete source of protein and as such does not have all the essential amino acids that your body requires to construct muscle. Whey is more expensive and extremely proven in the bodybuilding community. Regarding the Soylent recipe, you do not need a multivitamin if you are going to be using GNC MegaMen this serves as your multivitamin source. You also probably do not need sulfur because due to improper reporting, the amino acids in protein powders provide all the sulfur that you are going to need. Thanks to @quidnyc for pointing that one out to me.

I would honestly say that after having thought through a lot of the issues that you are sure to face, please see my recipe and check out my blog to see the choices that I have made in my recipe and why I made them.

On a third point which is unrelated to soylent but highly related to your muscle gaining goals, I HIGHLY encourage you to read the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe [Amazon]. Do not take any shortcuts, as a novice you have the absolute highest potential to advance quickly and Mark will explain how to get the most strength and muscle mass. Do not start training until you read this entire book, it will not take long.

Thank you for all the great responses. On advice of everyone here I will have to further research my recipe. @waynenilsen I will copy and adjust your recipe to my needs as will check out that book. However, the problem here is that I was trying to find a cheap and quick alternative to food. $11/day = $330/month is way too high of a price to pay for food replacement. Any suggestions as to keeping the cost down?

By the way, your blog is not working. I click the link but it doesn’t redirect anywhere.

Eating at a caloric surplus with any kind of acceptable flavor profile and bio-availability is going to be a challenge. I have made high calorie recipes before at low prices see my v1 recipe. I learned the hard way that it is absolutely insane to ingest anywhere near that amount of corn starch.

That being said, incorporating a 50/50 mix with a cheaper protein source should substantially lower costs as protein is the most expensive ingredient. Lowering the calories by removing ingredient mass will also obviously lower costs.

Something else to keep in mind is that this is substantially cheaper than what I was eating before soylent even at $11/day. I was previously eating meat as my primary protein source which for many reasons is usually more expensive than whey gram for gram. I was also not getting all the micronutrients that I should have been.

One very important thing that I forgot to mention earlier is the macronutrient ratios. See this section of my blog for an interesting discussion of what the proper macronutrient ratios are for strength athletes (or anyone looking to build muscle). I reference The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding for more information on building muscle optimally under the diet section.

Any suggestions for a 27 year old male, height 6’2, weight at 180 pound?

I used Rob’s recommendation with a 40/30/30 split with 5 days a week of exercise (however I was thinking of intensive training at 6 days a week) and it came out to macro nutrient needs being:

Calories (kcal) 2755 2863 104%
Carbohydrates (g) 276 276.9 100%
Protein (g) 207 207.15 100%
Total Fat (g) 92 93.41 102%

I am worried that if I follow your recipe I will be over eating.

You would be

I would say start here, I used the IIFYM Calculator with some tweaks this should put you at about at 10% caloric surplus.

CARBS	PROTEIN	FAT	CALORIES
GRAMS	363	225	72	3000 (more agressive)
GRAMS	333.355	206.625	66.12	2755 (less agressive)
pct	0.484	0.3	0.216

Just carefully monitor your weight for the first two weeks, if you gain more than about 1/2 lb per day, it’s probably too many calories and may negatively affect your body composition (body fat percentage). If you are not gaining weight on this recipe obviously the calories should be increased because you want to gain muscle.

The whole 40/30/30 thing is something of a novelty and outdated especially for those who are not endurance athletes. It’s related to the “Zone” diet.

See How to modify a recipe for more info.

Awesome! Thanks for all your help @waynenilsen . Here is my final recipe:

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/final-recipe-copy

No problem, happy to help, end result looks great! Just out of curiosity how do you plan to include the eggs?

I was thinking I would just hard boil them in bulk and eat them throughout the day.