No Vitamin B-12 in Soylent?

Looking in the list of nutrients included in Soylent, I couldn’t find Vitamin B-12. Being a vegetarian, I’m constantly told by dieticians to check my B-12 levels from time to time and take supplements if it goes down, because even though our body needs very little of it each day and it can technically store B-12 for years, not getting any for a very long time can lead to permanent damage to the nervous system and even death.

Where is this list of nutrients you’re looking at?
Is the B-12 maybe listed as “Cyanocobalamin”?

It’s weird, I can’t find the page anymore. Do you have a link?
BTW, the wikipedia page needs updating, it doesn’t mention cobalamin either.

They haven’t released the final ingredient list yet.
The Sept 8 blog post has a pic of the vitamin mix they were evaluating then, but that could have changed by now.
The wikipedia article shows an even older list, but the ingredients have been changed several times over the last several months.

Vitamin B 12 is absorbed the fast way through injections ( into the muscle ) . But can also be taken as mouth spray or sublingual ( under the tongue ) dissolving pills . This way the Vitamin B12 does not have to pass through the human digestive system . I prefer the sublingual form , to avoid micro-lesions from injections .

When you have a problem with absorbing B12 via the digestive system ( that is being diagnosed as such http://www.livestrong.com/article/390641-problems-absorbing-vitamin-b12/ ) then it is better to take Vitamin B12 separately , than to mix it with your food or meal

Good reads ( out many other ) are maybe :

http://healthfully.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/b12-your-life-depends-on-it/ ( Guillaume BELANGER )

http://chriskresser.com/b12-deficiency-a-silent-epidemic-with-serious-consequences ( Chris KRESSER )

As always, adequate treatment depends on the underlying mechanism causing the problem. People with pernicious anemia or inflammatory gut disorders like Crohn’s disease are likely to have impaired absorption for their entire lives, and will likely require B12 injections indefinitely. This may also be true for those with severe B12 deficiency causing neurological symptoms.
Some recent studies have suggested that high dose oral or nasal administration may be as effective as injections for those with B12 malabsorption problems. However, most B12 experts still recommend injections for people with pernicious anemia and advanced B12 deficiency involving neurological symptoms. <

Food-cobalamin malabsorption syndrome, which has only recently been identified, is a disorder characterized by the inability to release cobalamin from food or its binding proteins <

So , there is no straight forward very simple one-size-fits-all answer which is the best way to absorb the Vitamin B12. And the more you read on the subject , the more you will find debate among scientists and professionals , around things like :

• which is the best form of Vitamin B12 to take ?
  • which is the best test for measuring your Vitamin B12 status
  • which are the recommended safe minimum levels of Vitamin B12 to have ?

Before injections and sublingual dissolving pills existed, people did okay. I’m sure getting it through the GI tract works fine, even if it is less efficient. It’s not really a problem to provide slightly more.

Guillaume BELANGER has written a second post about Vitamin B12

The first one was : healthfully.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/b12-your-life-depends-on-it/

The second recent one : healthfully.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/optimising-b12-status-at-esac/

In the comments , he recommends using patches on the skin :

The best, easiest and fastest way to raise B12 to optimal levels is with patches that you stick on your skin and leave on for 24 hours. Each typically delivers 1000 mg of B12, all of which goes into the blood, just like a shot, but without the hassle and expense of the shot. Since B12 is continuously used by all cells, only the excess will be stored in the liver. Over time, stores are replenished and blood levels are maintained. From what I’ve read, it is very difficult to raise levels above 600 with diet alone, but this is a view based on our generally very unhealthy population, and I don’t know if this is true for people everywhere. However, everyone recommends supplementation because it is extremely safe and can only help

That this site does open twice a new window with his gravatar , is beyond my own will . Cannot undo it . This site does exactly the same with some other links

Vitamin B12 is right there on the ingredients list. Cyanocobalamine, #7 in the list on the package.

How dare you know what the chemical name of B12 is when detractors don’t! :wink: