Normal Food is Gross?

I’m on 2 weeks of Soylent 1.5 100% as my only food source. I’m feeling really good so far. No side affects. One strange thing though. I am not opposed (I thought) to going out with friends to eat but yesterday they invited me to pizza, which I love, and I just found it really, really unappealing. It felt greasy, unhealthy wasteful. I did not expect to feel that way–especially having only been on soylent 1.5 for this amount of time. I know pizza isn’t healthy, of course, but I never felt disgusted by it!

Is anyone else experiencing this reaction after 100% soylent?

I’m on more than 90% Soylent and can still eat pizza. It is pretty “greasy, unheathy” and all, though, so this isn’t such a bad side effect. Do you feel the same way presented with, say, a banana?

I still enjoy Neapolitan pizza. I’ve never liked greasy pizza, or as I like to call it: bad pizza.

I don’t know about pizza, but there are other foods i used to eat that are at least somewhat less appealing. Including banana’s.

No you’re right. A banana is still as appealing as before. The pun monkeys are dancing in my head. Hahaha I guess I mean I did not expect to feel so different about a food that I loved so much. No idea yet how I feel about other solid food.

I have often had this reaction to many of my prior comfort foods after being on 80-90% Soylent. They just don’t seem as awesome as they used to be.

Several years ago in an effort to lower my red meat intake (trying to lower LDL cholesterol… succeeded) I limited myself to two servings a week. At the time Taco Bell was a big comfort food… cheesy beefy whatevers… yum! But on a two serving/week limitation I found other things (a good cheeseburger, a good shredded beef burrito at a real Mexican place) would take priority so Taco Bell had to go. After being off it for months I might be enticed by advertising to go back for a Taco Bell Mexican pizza or whatever… but honestly every time I would try I was just disgusted. It was really gross. How did I eat so much of this crap in years past?

Now on mostly Soylent I’m starting to have a similar reaction to other foods (pizza, cheeseburgers…)

I’ve had this reaction any time I’ve been on a really clean “bland” diet for awhile. Then when I try fast food or processed food that I used to like, it is overwhelmingly salty, sugary, greasy, &/or chemical-tasting. Eg, those sugary kids breakfast cereals? Yes, sickenly sweet chemical taste, but also unbearably salty. Your palate adjusts.

I’m somewhat inclined to think that they didn’t taste all that good to begin with but their sensationalist qualities (salt, caffeine, fructose, other chemicals) made them conditionally addictive.

The more salt you eat, the more salt you’ll need for something to taste salty enough to you. Same thing with sweet food. Same thing with spicy food. Etc. The more crap you eat, the gradually stronger you need the flavors to be to continue to enjoy them and get that “wow” factor taste explosion.

I can certainly agree with that… When I first tried 1.5 it was so bland as to be almost revolting… I used to add salt (and briefly Splenda) but now I don’t add either and it tastes fine. I can hardly describe the bland taste I experienced at first… Now I have a hard time recalling.

Yup, you can reverse the process by gradually cutting back. Or just go cold turkey if you can suffer through a week or two. Your palate basically resets.

But there is also the issue of intentionally addictive additives in a lot of our fast foods & processed foods. Diacetyl is the “butter” flavor in microwave/theatre popcorn that keeps you reaching for more. Aspartame makes you crave sweet food. And I think I read a study showing people eat twice as much pizza with diet pop than without? And most of these are carnogenic.

So along JasonA’s post, maybe in some cases or to some extent, these things never really tasted “good” per se. Our brains are just tricked. Like I somehow always think I want Diet Coke but then take 2 sips, am not enjoying it, so I throw it away. Every. Freaking. Time. But I keep buying it. Its weird.

I ate half a banana the other day and it was a little gross. The other half was consumed by a non-Soylent user without complaint. My half was actually blended into Soylent and I immediately wished I had just the Soylent (and cocoa, because chocolate Soylent is delicious).

I haven’t noticed this, personally. I still drink Diet Dr. Pepper on occasion, but I only like to drink it with savory foods, not with anything sweet.

[quote][quote=“mellored, post:4, topic:23147, full:true”]
I don’t know about pizza, but there are other foods i used to eat that are at least somewhat less appealing. Including banana’s.
[/quote]

I ate half a banana the other day and it was a little gross. The other half was consumed by a non-Soylent user without complaint. My half was actually blended into Soylent and I immediately wished I had just the Soylent (and cocoa, because chocolate Soylent is delicious).
[/quote]I wouldn’t say they are gross or disgusting now, but they arn’t nearly as tasty either.
Pretty much all fruit now tastes overly sweet.

I think i might enjoy my veggies a little more though. Or at least i can taste the flavor of them more.

Perhaps i’m just getting more sensitive.

I never said that

Maybe soylent IS people. :fearful:

@wezaleff – Yes, sorry, I shouldn’t have said aspartame makes you crave sweet things. It makes you crave carbohydrates, more accurately. (If you have a sweet tooth, this can translate to sweet cravings.) It reduces satiety as well. So you eat more. Hence, the study about eating twice the usual amount of pizza with diet pop than without, as I mentioned.

Here is a bit of info about it if you’re interested. Not a good source. I just grabbed the first thing I came across. But it references some studies and you can find lots more out there if interested.

In other news, I’m on Biolent now, and I was craving veggies. A Caesar salad from a pizza place had an overpowering salty chemical taste. Not sure if I can attribute that to the Biolent, but certainly it’s a familiar experience to me whenever I’ve been eating a healthy diet and my palate starts to reset.

@horsfield sorry, not sure how that got mixed up, guess i havn’t figured out how to quote properly.

I tried eating some doritos after just a week on soylent, and honestly they tasted so bad I had to spit them out. Really makes me wonder what I ate for all those years.

I’ve gotten much more picky about food food since starting using soylent. most “foods” aren’t worth eating.

I highly recommend a book called The Dorito Effect, which is about how modern flavors are created and how they mess up your system. That’s why I became very nervous when I heard that Rosa Labs has hired a “flavor scientist”. Flavor is one of the ways that our body can tell whether what it is eating is appropriate.