Norwegian Recipe DIY

Soylent formula #3 Update:
This time no oats and no soy beans. Pure carbs, whey protein and about 140g of rice as the main ingredients. Polished rice due to low amounts of phytate acid, cheap and decent amount of carbs. Its expensive to push 2500kcal plus.
Some things in the formula are marked red, meaning its too much, however, as far as I know, no problems have been linked to overdosing on those. My fat ratio is a little skewed, with an over a 2:1 ratio in favour of omega 3 fatty acids and a lot of monounsaturated fat. All fat comes from flaxseed and olive oil.

Improvements: Price price price price. I gotta be on the lookout for cheap carbs and protein, and also dipotassium phosphate would be decent to find in bulk. Tips anyone? Not amazon.

Any comments?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7AzMX6mUM4YbGUtaWZyLVRYOE0/edit?usp=sharing

Original message follows:

Hi. Since I am from norway, amazon cant send/wont send health/beauty/medical products over our borders, probably since we are quite strict. So I have created a DIY formula based around two not very soylent products, but very cheap. The main thing in norway is that everything is very expensive, but quality is usually good.

The two main ingredients are soybeans, dried and oatmeal. Rich in many vitamins and minerals, and most importantly carbs and protein. Also potassium.

Values are lifted from the FDA, and dobbel checked with norwegian values which seem mostly equal or lower. Ive also checked toxicity of all nutrients that exceed the daily value (most do). The only problematic one is Folat Acid (B9). Im at 0,8 mg right now, wich is noted as “consult your doctor before taking this”. However, the only problem as far as I can see with this amount is that it hides symptoms of B12 deficiency.

Anybody care to take a look? I miss fluoride (but I kind of assume that one accidently swallows enough from brushing teeth and from oat/soy, but i cant find information on it)

Im also a little on the low side of calcium. Choline and betaine im not sure on the actual recomended values.

Thanks

Edit: New recipe based on oatmeal and carb/protein concentrate: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7AzMX6mUM4YSThIOWpZa2VpVVE/edit?usp=sharing

Old recipe based on soy and oatmeal:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7AzMX6mUM4YaWtaXzI2TUV3dTg/edit?usp=sharing

Getting so much of your protein from soy is a really bad idea. The isoflavones in soy are phytoestrogens that mimic estrogen in the body. Some soy protein can be beneficial for your health, but using soybeans and oatmeal together as your sole source of protein is just asking for trouble.

Yeah I just read up on that earlier today, and I dove into a lot of the debate about it aswell. Conclusion: keep it at 20-40g max daily. Probably gonna exclude it. Now I am reading that oats are not so good either. Ah, back to the drawing board. This project takes way too much time, but boy do one learn nutrition to fun way! Now I understand why alcoholics actually develop korsakofs syndrome without noticing it :slight_smile: nice!

Here is the new recipe based on oatmeal and “mutant mass” carb and protein mixture. It includes a variety of protein sources aswell as mostly maltodextrine and “vextrago” (mixture of maize and barley) as a source for carbs.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7AzMX6mUM4YSThIOWpZa2VpVVE/edit?usp=sharing

What do you think? A little high on the sodium perhaps, but that comes from tablesalt, so I could always just decrease that a little. I am little unsure about getting enough fluoride from toothpaste/water/air as it is not added in the water here in Norway. Still, I guess I never did either. Should be present in oat. Sulfur should also be synthesized from protein, even though Rob should have gotten more than enough from whey.

The link doesn’t work you should post a public none editable link instead of one requiring permission.

Fixed! Forgot to set to visible…

Nice, Norwegian with the same import export issues I have been working on a webApp where you just put in the products or ingredients and amounts then it calculates what you have of nutrition,

I’m not done yet and looks like the soylent crowd sourcing thing will be out tomorrow.so either i have to throw all that away or I should get into high-gear.

(the app would be in both norwegian and english, based on the USDA database and another norwegian one that I havent gotten my head around parsing yet,)

to your recipe, I haven’t gone deep into it but I saw your choice of mutant max, just a heads up it pretty odd tasting and thick so mixing it with all the other ingredients might end up horrible, I did just find a Star Nutrition protein powder that tastes like old gym socks but that is because there is no taste added no sweetener and so on (159kr for for 1kg), I believe it would suite you better in this mix since you get sweeteners in carbs and you skip the fake sweetener that is believed to cause Diabetes in over consumption (3 times per day should be over consumption). and to get protein variety there is this egg protein they often don’t have added stuff because people can add it themselves which means the store doesn’t need to stock 40 versions of something that doesn’t sell that well (the consistency was more foamy then whey)

Nice comments. The reason i chose mutant mass is twofold. Price and ingredients.
One of the cheapest options in Norway regarding carbs and proteins. Im also getting proteins from oats, so I should be covered.
Regarding the artificial sweetener, sucralose, as far as i know, no adverse affects have been found in animal studies, and they do go to extreme levels. Sucralose isnt digested either.
And the website “recommends” 260g a day, so my 200 isnt extreme :slight_smile:

Id be interested in seeing your spreadsheet. Ill show you mine if you show me yours :wink:

Soylent formula #3 Update:
This time no oats and no soy beans. Pure carbs, whey protein and about 140g of rice as the main ingredients. Polished rice due to low amounts of phytate acid, cheap and decent amount of carbs. Its expensive to push 2500kcal plus.
Some things in the formula are marked red, meaning its too much, however, as far as I know, no problems have been linked to overdosing on those. My fat ratio is a little skewed, with an over a 2:1 ratio in favour of omega 3 fatty acids and a lot of monounsaturated fat. All fat comes from flaxseed and olive oil.

Improvements: Price price price price. I gotta be on the lookout for cheap carbs and protein, and also dipotassium phosphate would be decent to find in bulk. Tips anyone? Not amazon.

Any comments?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7AzMX6mUM4YbGUtaWZyLVRYOE0/edit?usp=sharing

Nice work but there is a big problem, downloading it and reading the document is hard, if save it the formatting gets broken (when opening in libre office)

and If i open it in Google docs it doesn’t like like the link , but the link you posted doesn’t show things to the right.

Would be really nice to see this document correctly.

Ill fix the file later today, and translate the ingredients to english.

But good news. First shake of my homemade soylent is being digested right now.

So lets grade it!

Taste: 3/6 (it works ok. I tossed everything in except for fish oil, and not rice or black peppers as those two will be a seperate meal altogether if I need more carbs)

Satiety: 5/6 Im pretty full. My mind is telling me Im not hungry anymore, and Ive been full for an hour now. Unusual. But I dont have the lazy concrete lump in my stomach, and I dont particulary want to lay down as I usually do when “eating” this much. A good thing, although sometimes that post meal afternoon nap is pretty wonderful.

Nutrition: I believe most micro and macros are covered. I dont have any extra sulphur as that should be converted from protein, and I dont have lithium. Please do note if you see something lacking. Choline is not listed, but is supplemented by 500mg.

Energy: I feel kinda ok in the energy department. Nothing extreme. We will see in the afternoon when my usual lack of energy is showing and when I hit the gym. Im warm though. Im eating 75g of pure maltodextrine and 8g of fiber in each shake, but havent notice an extreme rush, or neither any signs of crashing.

Mood: Good, but it always is.

Cognition: Hard to know now. We will see later in the day when I have used my brain properly. Usually I would get pretty depleted and ready for 3 hours of Jersey Shore in the evening.

Price: Pretty expensive at 2000 kr a month, that is 330$ aprox. But its an expensive country, and certainly cheap considering the amount of nutrition. Usually 1500 kr / 250 $ would get you around, but then you either use way to much time cooking, or eating garbage. Literally.

Other: I feel kinda queasy. Not much. Just the sensation that I have eaten something I shouldnt, and that my stomach is trying to decide what the hell this is. I would not go to an amusement park right now. I dont feel so “tight” as I usually do. I also feel somewhat woozy, but I suspect that is only expecation effects. Trying to feel something. Either that or its my insulin response to all those fast carbs. I do not however feel impaired in any way, and my hand is stable whatever unimportant that little fact might be.

Hope the report is somewhat informative. I do usually eat somewhat healthy. At least varied. So Im not expecting huge differences this early in the day. However, at school and at work, I usually eat the cheapest or most convenient food I can buy, or I dont eat at all. So I hope ill notice something then :slight_smile:

edit: some formating

edit 2: I do have one concern though, and that is my proteing powder. Its whey isolate with some caseine isolate. The product information dont list any micros. No potassium, no phosphor, no sodium, no magnesium, however nutriondata show this http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1360377/2?quantity=0.25 meaning that I currently overdose on magnesium, and possibly calcium. I took out one of my calcium supplments now in the start until i can figure this one out. Magnesium is harder to take out as its covered by multivits. I do however take my multivits spread out over the day, and that might alleviate the issue somewhat. I sent an email to the producer, and they said everything is listed. Either they do not know, or its actually “pure” protein. Do anyone have any comments on this? Would appreciate.

How is this going now? did you keep up? (I’ve been working so much over time I haven’t been able to continue looking into this, but I hear there will be a weekend soon.)

Hi. Got a little distracted with stuff, and gotta run… but here is the link to a google spreadsheet with my formulae. Had to take away alot of the numbers because copying/pasting from excel to google doesnt work very well, but you can see the percentages of daily recommended values im covering (recommended are from FDA basicly) and if I exceed on some supplements, which i do, but there dont seem to be any problems with those that I do.

I will come back with updates. I figured today that one spoon isnt always a spoon, and crashed pretty hard with only 1400 kcal a day :stuck_out_tongue: But its better now. Ill report in later. Ill create a blog aswell, so ill link to that :slight_smile: have to go eat normal food. its hard to stick to a diet when people want to eat with you… :slight_smile:

the blog is now up and running… sevenius.wordpress.com

Ill update tomorrow how the week went, and recipe and notes and everything goes there.

I do wonder though… i am actually overdosing on magnesium, and a little on the low side 6/8 mg of iron each day, however, im not dehydrated, or maybe i am, I do have a little dry tounge, but not much. Saliva is produced in ordinary amounts it seems. I do have maybe some hints of diarreah but then again, i dont have anything to poop so its mostly air. (that sounded disgusting).

Im also experimenting with number of daily doses and such. One day i forgot to add fat in the mix. Needless to say, crashed pretty bad and had to eat a pizza. But i believe that i have figured out a good balance now :slight_smile: