Nutrigenomic Soylent

Hi all, someone crafting soylent recipe according to the nutrigenomic profile / 23andme style?

Post a link to what you’re talking about

I have health report access to 23andMe and don’t know what the OP is talking about.

Just searched for it and got:

No results for Nutrigenomics found in Established Research Reports, 23andMe Labs, Surnames, Ancestry, Community Groups, SNPs, Preliminary Research Reports, or 23andMe Research Surveys.

Ok ok, 23andme gives you just raw incomplete data, but what if you use the diet recommendations obtained from some of the nutrigenomic services that works with the 23andme data (mygenediet, dnafit etc.) to craft customized Soylent? Does that sound idiotic or…?

It’s not idiotic, but I’m sorry to say it’s probably still wishful thinking.

Now that I’ve read up a little bit, I suspect that all of these places applying “nutrigenomics” are off-base. I don’t want to call them quacks, and they may be well-intentioned, but the science doesn’t really back up what they’re doing. And a good share of them are probably quacks.

There is a real field of nutrigenomics at work in the labs, but while this work is improving our understanding of metabolism and nutrition, it isn’t (currently) resulting in practical dietary advice, never mind treatments for conditions and diseases, which is what practitioners of nutrigenomics claim.

What’s more, 23andMe and the like had to choose which SNPs to test for, and they chose based on known mutations related to conditions studied in research. I suspect there’s little reason to think those choices correspond well to the actual science of nutrigenomics, because that’s not what 23andMe was looking to address. If nutrigenomics offers actionable advice, 23andMe data may not be the right way to get the necessary measurements.

In other words, I’m not saying whether or not there are Snipes flying around in the forest - but if there are, your Snipe net has an awful lot of Snipe-sized holes, and that might be problematic.

The conclusion from Science-Based Medicine’s 2013 article, Nutrigenomics – Not Ready for Prime Time:

There is no compelling evidence for any nutritional treatment for the above diseases, let alone for personalized nutritional treatment based on specific genetic types. How the practitioners of GBIM came by the knowledge they are claiming to have is a mystery. As with the prematurely promoted stem cell treatments, such clinical claims, if legitimate, would have a paper trail of hundreds of published studies in the literature. Further, if such studies existed such practice would be standard of care, not isolated to one or a few special clinics.

I would add “nutrigenomics” to the list of red flags for dangerous quackery. It is a shame because, like stem cells, it is a legitimate field of research, and the current quackery is likely to taint the reputation of what in the future might be a promising approach.

I agree with @MentalNomad the idea behind nutrigenics is a good one I hope will pan out.

Mygenediet seemed rather pricy for what it seems like you get. For $294.93 they analyze 8 SNPs and generate a report for you. Not to mention the results are sent to you “within 21 days”. That seems a little fast for genetic testing. Just getting one SNP on my y-chromosome takes about twice that long. DNAfit likewise seems expensive for that they are doing. For $74.11 to $149.74 (depending on how deep you want to go) they will link with and download your genetic data from 23andMe and generate a report for you. They even have a disclaimer saying

Please note, in some cases the 23andme data does not include some of the gene variants that are part of the DNAFit test. These genes make up a very small part of our analysis and, should they be missing, will affect your results by less than 5%.

This gives them an out if their report turns out to be wrong in some fashion.

23andMe already tells you your caffeine sensitivity, lactose intolerance, celiac disease risk and a few other health reports that can be used to design a diet. From the sounds of it they don’t give you any new info that 23andMe doesn’t already give you.

I think these other services are fostered by the fact that 23andMe can no longer market their services for health purposes, only genetic heredity matching, due to their conflicts with the FDA.

I got into 23andMe long before their conflicts, so I have full access to my health info, but I think new people buying now don’t get access to health reports, mutations, etc.

Sadly, the 23andMe health content was much more responsible and reputable than most of the 3rd-parties I see now. The FDA has done a great job of “protecting” consumers, here. (Sarcasm should be evident, but in case it’s not: NOT.)