Nutritient profiles, best source USDA?

hi!

i am building here my own soylent recipe, i am spanish, so i need local and easy accesible ingredients,

i am using @QuidNYC as original recipe but with my own modifications (not too much)

i’ve been researching prices and products, and i am in doubt when i have to enter the nutrient profile from some ingredients, for example, i am using raw cacao, no sugar, no fat, it’s easy to get the macros (p/c/f) from the label, but what about the rest? (vitamins, minerals, etc), i consulted other recipes, USDA and nutrition.self, also i use a program called CalorieKing with a huge database of foods, but i am not sure,

i am in doubt in this ingredients: soy lecithin, flax seeds, raw cacao, olive oil, and corn masa

When i see for example in @QuidNYC 's super food or in @max 's people chow 3.0.1 they use masa harina, where did you guys get the nutritional profile? USDA?

i’m thinking about rounding the recipe a bit, and open it for suggestions

thanks!

This is my go-to source if I’m curious about adding a food.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5471/2

Eve

You’re already doing pretty good job. All these sites are giving just median values for the given product. So you just look it up on all of them and see if there are any significant differences. If not you take what they say.
If there are , you take some middle value between them if you does not have more specific information.
Most of the foods are the same around the world, especially if they are mass produced. If they are locally made by a small producer they can have more variations due to specifics of the cultivating.

thanks both,

@Stoinov, sorry i am bit lost,

for example, adding Sea Salt from here http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/271

I see some people put the chloride content, but i cannot find that number in USDA, what i do? get this data from other people?

if so, where did they got this data?

thanks!

They don’t give the chloride intake since the only meaningful source in our diet is the salt, and sodium is the more important component.
One easy way to calculate the chloride is to just subtract the sodium content in grams from 100 in the first column of your link. What’s left is the chloride since this a simple NaCl molecule.
The scientific way, is to take the molar mass for the element you’re interested in from Wikipedia. In your case Chloride = 35.453. Then take the molar mass of the molecule, NaCl = 58.44. Now divide the element by the molecule:
35.453/58.44=~0.607 or 60.7%
This is the percentage of the element in your product. So for every 100 grams of pure salt you get ~60.7 grams of chloride.
For the recommended 5 grams of salt you get about 2 grams of sodium and 3 grams of chloride.

It doesn’t work quite that way for sea salt, which may contain other minerals as well.

great!
then, instead of doing myself all those calculations, i’ll get the data from other recipes,
thanks!

@anormal, I think it’s good to look at other recipes and ingredients as examples, but it’s also important to verify the information for yourself to the extent that you can. There are enough errors and omissions that it’s worth the time to double-check, IMO.

I’ve found the USDA nutritional database to be the most complete and most detailed source for a lot of ingredients (unlike many product labels), so I use that whenever possible (including for masa harina in the recipe cited).

thanks @QuidNYC, i’m in the process of verifying all the profiles in my recipe, whenever in doubt (or not in USDAND) i’ll try to get it from trustable sources (for example i think your recipes are good documented and researched)

there are some ingredientes where the label information is not the same as i get in other recipes, so i’ll try to reach a medium point, for example, the cacao i am using is “Pure un-fatted cacao no sugar”, the carbs amount is lot less, etc…

well… i am finishing my recipe, i’ll check you if you have time to check it and make suggestions, thanks, i am learning a lot about how food is made, nutrients, etc with all this thing!

a curious thing: the multivitamin i am using (Supradyn) is quite ok, but it’s strange it doesn’t supply Chrome…

thanks!

hi again,

I am looking for nutrition profile about raw cacao unfatted, the most complete i’ve found is the Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao in http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/quidnycs-superfood-for-him, @QuidNYC: where did you find all the information? i can’t find it in the USDA anything similar to pure raw cacao, just chocolate…

Mine is called “Valor pure cacao un-fatted no sugars” and has this profile:
KCals: 375
Fats: 16g (Sat:10,2g)
Carbs: 16.3g (sugar:0,7g)
Protein: 25.5g
Salt: 0.03g

This is very different to all other cacaos i’ve seen in recipes.

Thanks for reading guys!

@anormal, the profile I’m using for cacao powder is from the USDA nutrient database:
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6078?fg=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=25&sort=&qlookup=cocoa&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=

The real values may well differ from product to product, but I tend to stick with the USDA lab values (per 100g) where possible, unless I see really compelling evidence to the contrary. At the end of the day, it’s often a subjective call.

Hi, I’m kinda new to this whole soylent business (been watching on the sidelines, mostly.) Have you tried looking at the Dietary Reference Intake table, published by the Institute of Medince? It doesn’t list nutrition profiles for foods, but I found it helpful to understand what a body might need. Just a thought.

http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/1_%20EARs.pdf

http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/DRI-Tables.aspx

Nice references!

Thanks all!

I’ve been looking for more sources of nutrition profiles (even when as @QuidNYC says, prefer USDA DB) and got this from Nutrilog software webpage:

Main food DBs:

American Foods Database

Canadian Nutrient File 2005

CIQUAL - French Official Foods Database

French Brand Foods Database - JP Blanc (French only)

Belgian Foods Database (Lambin Institute) (French only)

And i want to add this one:

BEDCA: Base de datos Española de Composición de Alimentos

DRIs:

Canadian DRIs

Here is another good source Lunis Pauling Institute. They basically combine all the references from USDA, IOM and other sources, summarize all the relevantn information for any of the nutrients (Macro, vitamins, mineral, others) and give you the best recommendation based on all of the sources. It’s good for final check up on your own research - just to see how you’re doing, and also for quick reference afterwards, since their site is very fast for finding relevant information quick, once you get the hold of it :wink:
And here is a nice explanations for most of the Multivitamins outhere